KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
1,893 REPLIES 1,893

inovator
Consultant

vannagirl said:

Is there a reason it’s so big

the knuckles controller I mean  😐

Maybe the size had to do with the developer wanting to make up for a personal inadequacy.

inovator
Consultant

inovator said:

vannagirl said:

Is there a reason it’s so big

the knuckles controller I mean  😐

Maybe the size had to do with the developer wanting to make up for a personal inadequacy.

Way back towards 2016 when this all began I complained that the onward community was to intolerant to newbies. U suggested to me pevlov and it was great. You were very nice.
If you have the rift s and have played it recently? I have and that is the only time the dreaded black screen happens to me. Nothing else triggers it so I think it's just a game issue. Have you played it recently?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Yes, full finger (glove) tracking would be awesome, looking forward to try it someday. 

Did just see the full video from Tested again, they also shortly talk about Knuckles vs. 10 finger (glove - Leap Motion) tracking. I do like that he (Norm) clearly was able to perceive the 120 and even 144 Hz and that it greatly enhanced immersion - and the fov was noticeable improved. Also that Beat Saber runs at 120 Hz even using a GTX 980 with no problems (and it should, probably also 144 Hz). Sound and comfort seemed awesome too (Norm said that these aren't normal headphones but more like real speakers placed close to your ears - if that makes sense...hmmm ;-). And especially that he for the first time truly felt like being in an IMAX theater using Big Screen, mostly due to the res and fov:

https://youtu.be/2SI_3jlAV9M

Again, not sure if these impressions can be trusted, but if Valve can deliver, it looks promising - even if the blacks are like the Rift-S due to LCD (which Norm kinda said they were), but that's why I'm keeping my beloved CV1 - and I'm not sure Knuckles will feel better than Touch, but I'd like to try Knuckles. Let's see some reviews from both users and experts first though. 
According to Tested Valve has promised to deliver one major VR title this year - and according to Norm that title will support even the Rift, seems like a nice gesture from Valve. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Luciferous
Consultant
Maybe they should make the Rift S controllers 5 times bigger maybe the headset will see them then. ?

Luciferous
Consultant
Is it confirmed NDA runs out Wednesday?

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Is it confirmed NDA runs out Wednesday?

Not all NDA's are the same - info about the system will be revealed, but there are other aspects that will not be cleared till the June presentation. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

pyroth309
Visionary
I'm actually hoping knuckles are big enough for my big meat hooks. But I'm near 6'5 and have large hands.

One of the benefits of knuckles being large is the tracking will be rock solid. A lot of sensors on it.

For me to get into gloves and such for VR they would have to have some kind of haptic or resistance. Having something to grab adds a lot to immersion. The other option of course is trackable objects that you'd use with the gloves like a pistol grip or sword hilt. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
For me to get into gloves and such for VR they would have to have some kind of haptic or resistance.

I prefer haptics off. It has always seemed rather unrealistic and silly to me. When I grab an object in real life, it doesn't actually vibrate! lol

Having something to grab adds a lot to immersion.

If you're grabbing a piece of paper in VR but your real-life hands are squeezing an oversized shaft, then you're not actually mirroring the simulation.

The other option of
course is trackable objects that you'd use with the gloves like a pistol
grip or sword hilt.

Yes, a good option for those who need the one-to-one relationship. And this is an option that Gloves have but Wands do not.

One of the benefits of knuckles being large is the tracking will be rock solid. A lot of sensors on it.

That's not really a thing. The goal of technology is to get smaller and more efficient, not larger. We don't need huge objects just to get rock solid tracking. Nor do large objects guarantee rock solid tracking.

That's like saying that we need larger cell phones to get better reception!

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

That's not really a thing. The goal of technology is to get smaller and more efficient, not larger. We don't need huge objects just to get rock solid tracking. Nor do large objects guarantee rock solid tracking.

That's like saying that we need larger cell phones to get better reception!

I understand that. At the same time, the fact that they are large to accommodate everyone's hand size has the added benefit of more real estate for sensors and less likely to get completely occluded.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
I understand that. At the same time, the fact that they are large to accommodate everyone's hand size has the added benefit of more real estate for sensors and less likely to get completely occluded.

Occlusion is just one of many aspects of tracking accuracy.

I remember all these types of "arguments" when they were first presented back in 2017. You know... back when everyone thought Knuckles were the greatest thing since slice bread. Even though they weren't actually released yet. And still aren't.

I think it's great that VR enthusiasts are willing to have such a strong outlook on certain products... but I swear, it's as if the moment someone decides to buy a non-Oculus VR product, Valve next-day-delivers a Handbook on: "How to argue on the Oculus Forums."

Because the moment someone orders a non-Oculus product, all their posts sound the same. lol