cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asgard's Wrath Trailer - Looks Awesome

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Forget comparisons to Horizon Zero Dawn's Aloy for a moment, Asgard's Wrath looks pretty sweet.

Become the next great Asgardian god as you immerse yourself in the legendary world of Norse mythology. Sharpen your swordplay and bring your own fighting style into the fray with next-level combat depth. Possess different classes of mortal heroes, solve larger-than-life puzzles, and transform animals into warrior companions that you lead into battle.

This is the deep action-adventure you’ve been waiting for, with over 30 hours of gameplay.

Answer the call, Asgardian. God-scale VR awaits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5a4nWtbVyY

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
70 REPLIES 70

Alextended
Expert Protege
I don't think it's the "norm", plenty games don't do it like Blade & Sorcery, even the recent Shadow Legend which most people seem to like. It has basic systems to not allow spam as you really can only damage them a little bit after every parry or when they're not blocking and they quickly revert to block plus you need to pay attention to their own swings to parry so you don't keep attacking mindlessly anyway. I wouldn't call it ideal in Shadow Legend but it works alright, parrying in particular feels decent enough. Asgard's Wrath looks a ton better than that though. Oh and they don't have to simulate weight and have weapons lag behind your real movements to have wrist cheese or whatever not work. I don't know if they will do that or not, but they can check for the weapon's arc quite easily to ensure it's a full swing (maybe after a calibration process to check for your arm length) and not just a waggle. We'll see how it works in the end but it looks quite good so far, neither Shadow Legend levels of weightlessness nor Blade & Sorcery's full sim stuff which aren't necessarily fun for all (and which you can still cheese in plenty ways even if you don't use the slow motion except when it overwhelms you with too many opponents).

I like Blade & Sorcery myself but wish there were more weapons that didn't have a delay, like the dagger, a shortsword at least if it would make the longswords too overpowered. Even taking an arrow out has lag which makes no sense as it should be lighter than even the dagger. They could still make it follow your movements exactly and simply not do a lot of damage, or even no damage at all, if you aren't doing a full and fast enough swing at your opponent (and have it lag then as it would stop on their armor and not go through, but that's different to regular movement lag, I do like the interactions of the weapons with the bodies and such). And it doesn't simulate a faster downward swing either, as if a two handed sword going down wouldn't get faster after the highest point and then even slower when you raise it, etc. Other weapons like the spear are slower than they should be too, I can't even throw it very well because of it even though I used to javelin throw in school. Most people seem to adjust the physics settings to get the weapons to their liking but I haven't tried that. Anyway, the easiest cheese for me with default settings is to wait for an opponent to ready a swing and do a speedy thrust while also moving forward with an one handed sword.

Anyway the pull of this is that it's gonna be a full progressive experience with that kind of combat and other aspects, not just arena fights like Blade & Sorcery. So basically something like Skyrim (probably not open world like that though so maybe closer to say, Arx Fatalis in VR with extended weapon based combat vs Arx's focus on cool Magic) but made for VR I guess.

pyroth309
Visionary
Yea this looks pretty sick. Definitely looking forward to it. The best swordplay game I've played so far was the old Sword Master VR and I had a blast with it but I've skipped out on all the others except for Gorn though. I'm probably going to give Tales of Glory and Blade & Sorcery a go now. 

CrashFu
Consultant
Always fascinated by the mechanics game devs come up with, especially when trying to solve a problem like VR melee combat.  Also, this game just looks awesome in general.

Now, what was that about "turning animals into warrior companions"?

7kjmkww5bcmx.png
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG3XdSrZYzo
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
When is this available?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Whoa - 30 (t-h-i-r-t-y) hours of gameplay  :open_mouth:

"Developer Sanzaru Games is no stranger to developing VR games. Being a pioneer of the medium, the Foster City, CA-based studio has released titles such as VR Sports Challenge, Ripcoil, and Marvel Powers United VR. The company’s latest effort, Asgard’s Wrath, releases later this year and leans into the studio’s learnings from previous projects. Produced in collaboration with Oculus, the fantastical action game boasts an epic 30-hour adventure with top-notch production values that has the potential to alter our perception of what’s possible with a VR game."

Read more here:

https://www.varnoware.com/varoom/uscite/developer-sanzaru-games-aims-to-deliver-a-next-level-30-hour...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

When is this available?

July - this year 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zahariel
Expert Protege
Nice - Other than 'Vader Immortal' this is the first game I'm really looking forward to playing.

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Hopefully its as good as it looks. Im so gonna get it and play the hell out of it!
Be good, die great !

Zahariel
Expert Protege
Is there a price released for it? Not seeing anything in the store.