cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

euliver
Honored Guest
I already updated all possibly related drivers (Windows 10, Oculus and Nvidia) and checked the cable connections on both ends, it doesn't seem to be a connectivity problem as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be related to moving the cable or not at all. The screen just randomly turns grainy/snowy (like a grainy TV screen used to I guess) for a fraction of a second for no reason while playing games, but immediately returns to normal. It just flashes. Doesn't matter which game or software I try either. I'm worried it might be a hardware problem, but that seems unlikely too, wouldn't the Rift S just shut off completely if it just lost connection? Not sure. Anyway, it isn't all that bothersome and happens rarely and randomly, but I'd certainly prefer it if this wouldn't happen anymore, and not just because I fear it might become worse. I hope it's a software problem and that I can find out what causes it soon, so that I won't have to return the unit.

142 REPLIES 142

antitrust42
Expert Protege
same , finally i not happy with this headset, i return it soon

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
One thing I've found that seems to have helped me is to crank down all Oculus Home Graphics settings.

Start with the left menu preferences/graphics and turn off auto scaling, then below it select Low.

Then go to main dash setting /graphics and turn off Both antialiasing and rendering panel in high quality.  While you are in settings turn off any experiments you have previously enabled.

Then, for good measure, go to your Oculus App on your desktop Devices/ top Rift S one/ scroll down to performance, click on it and select High Performance (not the recommended High Quality, default).

EDIT; do not change this. it does carry over some blurriness outside of Oculus Home.  Leave it as the high High Quality default.  Thanks @nickyb78 

After all this you should restart your Oculus App.  I think you will find everything works a little snappier and any flashes will be less frequent and more subtle (not as harsh/bright).  These graphics changes only effect Oculus Home, not other VR apps/games btw.  For me, I do not really use the home environment, just enough of it to get into other apps/games so a slightly less sharp Home environment is not important to me and Dash and panels are all still very usable.  

Also, if you have been monitoring your windows task manager within Oculus Home you will notice a significant drop in both CPU and GPU % usage.  I have even noticed an improvements in apps like X plane 11, even though home2 seems to close off when switching to any games.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you as much as it's helped me.  Cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Zahariel
Expert Protege
Had my 1st reply from support after 3.5 days - Same cut and paste job so no advances in their thinking as of yet.

I'll give that a try 'TomCgcmfc' and hopefully it helps with the frequency of the flashes.

nickyb78
Protege
It doesnt just change oculus home. Youl find games look a bit blurry if you set settings to performance instead of quality. Doesnt fix the white flash either it just reduces it.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
deleted
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

nickyb78 said:

It doesnt just change oculus home. Youl find games look a bit blurry if you set settings to performance instead of quality. Doesnt fix the white flash either it just reduces it.

Actually after a bit more testing you are quite correct about the performance option within the Oculus App devices/Quality options.  If you select high performance it does carry over to games/apps outside of Oculus Home.  My cockpit instruments were a bit clearer with the High Quality setting (default/recommended).  Thanks for bringing this to my attention mate.

Just the Home antialiasing, panel rendering, and left menu preferences/graphics only apply to the Oculus Home environment.

Also, like you say, this only helps reduce flashing.  It is by no means a fix.  Hopefully Oculus will address this asap.

Thanks again mate.

nickyb78
Protege
No worries mate. I tried all them settings myself hoping it would help with the flash static problem. But the problem always returns. I sent a ticket and have sent a diagnostics zip file to them as they have requested it. So hopefully they can see what is happening with my rift. Worst case os sending rift back but im hoping an update will fix the flash issue

Simbel
Explorer
Same here, static flashing drives me crazy and because of that im not using the Rift S anymore. Nothing helpes, thinking to send it back.

VCRRepairman
Protege
I get this too.  Do you have your monitor in the HDMI slot of your videocard?  If so make sure it's on.  I will get this if my monitor is off after a while.  As soon as I turn it on - it kicks back on.  I suspect it's some kind of sleep thing either Windows or BIOS is doing.

nickyb78
Protege
Im the same, stopped using the rift and gone back to psvr. Its a shame because the visuals are a lot better on rift s. Im thinking the new inside out cameras are a cause of aot of problems. Its new tech so hopefully these problems will be fixed soon