cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S black screen on MSI Laptop with Mini Display Port Adapter

Aupuma
Explorer
Hi, my Rift S has arrived today and I have two computers where I want to use it. 

First, I have tried it on a MSI Laptop model GP63 Leopard 8RE, using the Mini Display Port adapter.
At first it was recognized, but when it was going through the setup process there were some errors, I had to reconnect the USB and Display Port.
Finally I got to the end, where it says "Continue on the VR headset" and when I put it on, the screen does not light up, it is completely black. 
The laptop succeded without any issues the compatibility tool, it is VR Ready and carries a Gtx 1060 with the latest drivers, I don't know if the MiniDisplay Port is connected directly to the Nvidia Gpu or the integrated GPU...

Then I connected the Rift S to my desktop PC and it works properly, so it has to do with the laptop or the adapter, not the headset. Any ideas?
51 REPLIES 51

LBayard
Explorer
I have an MSI GS 65 and have had the same problem with the Rift S. I don't event get past the initial setup. I have about a minute before Rift S crashes and I get black screens. I don't think it is the laptop, because I am using an Oculus Rift with touch controllers on it just fine.

from what I read, any one of these could cause issues with the Rift S (in general - not just for laptops):
1) it could be the USB ports not being strong enough to power the Rift S
  - try different ports
2) the Rift S might not be compatible with USB 3.1 ports. 
  - not sure about this one, my laptop has 3 USB 3.1 port on it
  - I tried connecting the Rift S to a 3.0 USB hub connected to by laptop, no success
3) In the case of  my laptop, the intel integrated graphics card might cause issues.
  - prioritizing which graphics card to use for the oculus client and related did not solve my problem
4) the mini display port - though this is stupid because the laptop and Rift S specification both say DP 1.2
  - maybe the miniDP adapter provided is a lower or higher version?
5) The laptop controlling power to the USB ports
  - go into Power management -> advanced settings and ensure that the USB ports are not controlled under power management
  - tried this too didn't work
6) Upgrading your Windows 10 version to 1903

you are welcome to try any of these to get it working on your laptop, but I'm leaning towards the mini display port adapter if you were able to get it working on another computer. I haven't tried my Rift S on another computer yet.

MikePixelPusher
Protege
 I have msi laptop too and have the same issue. Your not alone. It appears to be a wide spread issue. 
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

MikePixelPusher
Protege
I was wondering if I used a usb-c to displayport adapter would work? 

Knutsi
Protege

I was wondering if I used a usb-c to displayport adapter would work? 

Maybe this answers it: https://youtu.be/52qlZ8yur8s

MikePixelPusher
Protege
Thanks for the info.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Guys I use a MSI laptop and I needrd a powered usb hub.
once I connected to it sll issues solved.

WAAAGH!

MikePixelPusher
Protege
Morgrum said:

Guys I use a MSI laptop and I needrd a powered usb hub.
once I connected to it sll issues solved.

That didn't work for me. 

LBayard
Explorer
I will try a type c to DP adapter

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
I am sorry Mike the best advice I can tell you to do now is look in device manager and find out specifically what display port you have and get the new drivers for it.
WAAAGH!