New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Important for new users - if you think your posts were deleted or failed to get through

kojackkojack Posts: 5,600 Volunteer Moderator
edited May 25 in General
Users on this forum can be either unverified or verified. New users start as unverified.
Any unverified user has every post inspected by the automatic spam filter. If it thinks a post might be spam, it gets put into a special queue for moderators or admins to check. The actual rules of the filter aren't something I have access to, but things like posting links to external sites (even the main oculus site) or certain keywords can trigger it.

If the forum is telling you a post wasn't approved, please don't keep reposting it. We have to manually verify each one in case they weren't all identical (and the UI for that sucks, it's a 4cm wide column of raw html).

Generally deleting posts on here is a last resort action. The odds are that if a post you made went missing:
- It got caught by the spam filter. It will come back when one of us checks.
- It got moved to another board (like developer questions). It should still be in your personal post list.

When we check the spam queue, we verify users with legit posts, so you won't get caught again.

Also note for other users: if you see somebody repeat a post multiple times, it's probably because we verified their account but haven't yet gone over every post to check for duplicates. Don't blame the user.

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,197
    Wintermute
    So im not going crazy. ty

You know when you feel like:

Be good, die great !
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    So if you're a New User waiting to be "Very fried", you may like to wait in this errr lobby where you can sit back and relax to KPOP and METAL music ;)
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/45686/the-music-thread#latest
  • Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks for the explanation. As a new user I fell found of this. At the time I was posting from an iPad which makes it easy to miss the fact that your post requires moderation. I think the on-screen keyboard covers the message.

A spam filter which flags internal links to it's own domain sounds misconfigured to me and is just generating work for the mods. However, I appreciate that this is not in their control.
  • bauuubassbauuubass Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the info. Useful to know if something like that happens. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,918 Volunteer Moderator
    We try to clear the spam queue regularly, but with so many new users lately, a lot of posts get caught. There has also been a lot of actual spam the past several weeks, which further clogs up the system. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • beyyy18beyyy18 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Thanks for telling us, at least we know what's happening right now
  • Jonny-YarkoJonny-Yarko Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Blimey, they must think i'm spamming now . . thought my message didn't get through so tried about 8 times to post . . ooopps !
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,918 Volunteer Moderator
    Blimey, they must think i'm spamming now . . thought my message didn't get through so tried about 8 times to post . . ooopps !
    Saw you in there and cleaned up the duplicate posts. I've verified your account, so you shouldn't get caught in the filter again.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • Jonny-YarkoJonny-Yarko Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    nalex66 said:
    Saw you in there and cleaned up the duplicate posts. I've verified your account, so you shouldn't get caught in the filter again.

Hi Nalix, thank you for that and sorry to have created you more work, I really did think that my comments just weren’t being posted because of a glitch or something, then saw this thread.

Thanks again and my apologies.

• mtillermtiller Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I was wondering if this had happened to my first post!  :/  Thanks for the heads up for what to look out for when posting guys.