New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,144 Valuable Player
    edited May 2019
    One thing I've found that seems to have helped me is to crank down all Oculus Home Graphics settings.

Start with the left menu preferences/graphics and turn off auto scaling, then below it select Low.

Then go to main dash setting /graphics and turn off Both antialiasing and rendering panel in high quality.  While you are in settings turn off any experiments you have previously enabled.

Then, for good measure, go to your Oculus App on your desktop Devices/ top Rift S one/ scroll down to performance, click on it and select High Performance (not the recommended High Quality, default).

EDIT; do not change this. it does carry over some blurriness outside of Oculus Home.  Leave it as the high High Quality default.  Thanks @nickyb78

After all this you should restart your Oculus App.  I think you will find everything works a little snappier and any flashes will be less frequent and more subtle (not as harsh/bright).  These graphics changes only effect Oculus Home, not other VR apps/games btw.  For me, I do not really use the home environment, just enough of it to get into other apps/games so a slightly less sharp Home environment is not important to me and Dash and panels are all still very usable.  

Also, if you have been monitoring your windows task manager within Oculus Home you will notice a significant drop in both CPU and GPU % usage.  I have even noticed an improvements in apps like X plane 11, even though home2 seems to close off when switching to any games.

Anyway, I hope this helps some of you as much as it's helped me.  Cheers.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• ZaharielZahariel Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Had my 1st reply from support after 3.5 days - Same cut and paste job so no advances in their thinking as of yet.

I'll give that a try 'TomCgcmfc' and hopefully it helps with the frequency of the flashes.
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    It doesnt just change oculus home. Youl find games look a bit blurry if you set settings to performance instead of quality. Doesnt fix the white flash either it just reduces it.
    edited May 2019
    deleted

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

edited May 2019
    nickyb78 said:
    It doesnt just change oculus home. Youl find games look a bit blurry if you set settings to performance instead of quality. Doesnt fix the white flash either it just reduces it.
    Actually after a bit more testing you are quite correct about the performance option within the Oculus App devices/Quality options.  If you select high performance it does carry over to games/apps outside of Oculus Home.  My cockpit instruments were a bit clearer with the High Quality setting (default/recommended).  Thanks for bringing this to my attention mate.

Just the Home antialiasing, panel rendering, and left menu preferences/graphics only apply to the Oculus Home environment.

Also, like you say, this only helps reduce flashing.  It is by no means a fix.  Hopefully Oculus will address this asap.

Thanks again mate.

Brain Burst
    No worries mate. I tried all them settings myself hoping it would help with the flash static problem. But the problem always returns. I sent a ticket and have sent a diagnostics zip file to them as they have requested it. So hopefully they can see what is happening with my rift. Worst case os sending rift back but im hoping an update will fix the flash issue
  • SimbelSimbel Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Same here, static flashing drives me crazy and because of that im not using the Rift S anymore. Nothing helpes, thinking to send it back.
  • VCRRepairmanVCRRepairman Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I get this too.  Do you have your monitor in the HDMI slot of your videocard?  If so make sure it's on.  I will get this if my monitor is off after a while.  As soon as I turn it on - it kicks back on.  I suspect it's some kind of sleep thing either Windows or BIOS is doing.
    Brain Burst
    Im the same, stopped using the rift and gone back to psvr. Its a shame because the visuals are a lot better on rift s. Im thinking the new inside out cameras are a cause of aot of problems. Its new tech so hopefully these problems will be fixed soon
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 324
    Trinity
    I saw some flashes too. Really short fraction of a second. It seems to be grainy colorfull static but it's hard to see.
    NerveGear
    Nothing helpes, no fixes at all. Still static flashing.
    Brain Burst
    Same here. Nothing fixes it only reduces it. If a new update doesnt do anything then its getting sent back
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    nickyb78 said:
    Same here. Nothing fixes it only reduces it. If a new update doesnt do anything then its getting sent back
    It'll get fixed, think about it.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    Just to join in, I'm getting random, very brief, flashes too.   Not enough to be a big issue, but certainly something new introduced to the Rift family...
    It'll get a patch soon enough, I doubt Oculus are just sitting on their hands following the release of 2 headsets.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    i got the same issue, very dissapointed by the headset , i return it and not toutchoculus product after , i go for valve index
  • DeliriumBladesDeliriumBlades Posts: 10
    Brain Burst
    Same here...didn't know their were multiple threads on this subject.. just throwing my .02 in here too because it seems to be the biggest thread on the subject...They can't keep posting the unplug it and plug it back in technique...it doesn't change or fix anything 
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst

Try changing the process priority of the 3 exes above to higher or realtime. I can't recomend using realtime due to other issues that causes, but it does seem to "mostly" eliminate the snow and recentering and static issues that have been persisting...

I'm curious if this helps other users. Also disable the experimental feature for desktop window popouts.... if you have it enabled.

And lastly, use a powered USB 3.0 hub in between your rifts and the working usb port on your machine. basically find the working best port. and then use the powered hub on that port. Very strange I know. But this finally has me up and running. But I will be returning this thing shortly after I play around with it some more. I feel like I just beta tested an unfinished product and I am not very happy with spending 400 bucks on it..... Needed more work... software wise...
  • FanibleFanible Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    For me it's just a very quick flash of snow.  It's very random and doesn't happen often enough to be a burden, but I'm really glad to see it's a little more common.  I was worried something might be wrong with my mini-display port on my laptop or worse, since I had never used it until now.
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    edited May 2019
    i got the same issue, very dissapointed by the headset , i return it and not toutchoculus product after , i go for valve index
    Meanwhile mine works great. Explain that? Slow down man lol, exchange for another. Edit: wait, you're returning it for the Index because of a brief white flash that happens like twice an hour?

People. No shortage of a source of laughs.
  • kaeli.mimmskaeli.mimms Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    im having the issue as well. 
    NerveGear
    Meanwhile mine works great. Explain that? Slow down man lol, exchange for another. Edit: wait, you're returning it for the Index because of a brief white flash that happens like twice an hour?

People. No shortage of a source of laughs.
    My Rift S flashes sometimes 2-3 in 5 mins. Explain that? Imagine something like that would happen with your TV or Gaming TFT. If a Product is not working correct and seems defect, you have to send it back.
  • SLM101SLM101 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Same issue here, split second white screens randomly when playing. Probably spent less than 3 hours with this headset and seen it about 5 times.
  • SkoziosSkozios Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Although it doesn't affect game play or anything really, if it doesn't get fixed then I will probably look to return it as faulty.  Obviously this is not what I want to do for something like this, but obviously future versions will have a fix if oculus cannot fix on these first systems.  In life today we demand perfection and I am not prepared to accept any faults for a £400 item.
    Brain Burst
    Only thing that can fix it is an update. If that doesnt work then oculus are gonna have a lot of returns and refunds on their hands as its a widespread problem
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    TELL US THE DATE ON THE BOX so that we gather what doesn't work similar to the first "Bad Batch" of Quest marked as 3/19. 
    IT WOULD ALSO HELP IF YOU POSTED THE DATE ON THE BOX even if it is working perfectly after a day's use & shutdown and another day's use.

@OculusSupport please make a Sticky for that.
  • AzrefAzref Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Also getting the "Static" flash ever now and then during use. Ive tried reseating the cables, changing display ports and USB 3.0 etc. This hasn't helped or made it any worse so hopefully it's a firmware issue that is soon patched.

Edit: Date on my Rift S box is 2019/04
  • AnfronieAnfronie Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Pretty sure those occasional flashes (I get them every 30-60 minutes) will be fixed with the next Rift-S software/firmware updates.  Oculus Support is well aware of this by now and have said that they are working on it.
    Do you have a source link showing that they are working on it? I really don't want to return my S if it can be fixed via software/firmware. 
    Anfronie said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Pretty sure those occasional flashes (I get them every 30-60 minutes) will be fixed with the next Rift-S software/firmware updates.  Oculus Support is well aware of this by now and have said that they are working on it.
    Do you have a source link showing that they are working on it? I really don't want to return my S if it can be fixed via software/firmware. 
    Ya, this is mentioned in the latest Rift S support tips on Static problems;

https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/

At the end of this they say;

"If these steps do not resolve this behavior, we ask for your patience as we work on firmware improvements that will be ready shortly after launch. "

Personally, I have faith that Oculus will sort this out soon.

NerveGear
    The Support contacts me and im getting a new cable. seems like a hardware defect.