cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
225 REPLIES 225

kojack
MVP
MVP
I haven't seen this on any of my 4 new touch controllers.

If you want to observe it a bit easier, give Oculus Monitor a try: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69471/oculus-monitor-v0-2-1-13-nov-18
It will show you the actual trigger values in real time.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

kojack said:

I haven't seen this on any of my 4 new touch controllers.

If you want to observe it a bit easier, give Oculus Monitor a try: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69471/oculus-monitor-v0-2-1-13-nov-18
It will show you the actual trigger values in real time.

@kojack I think this problem is better to observe in action.  All you need to do is go into your Oculus home, hold your hands in front of you, use the last 3 fingers (only) and hold the grip button for a second or two, then quickly release them.  Repeat this a few times.  If your virtual last three fingers snap back open that's great.  Mine and others do not.  They (esp. right controller) seem to stick closed and there is quite a bit of lag until they open.

Once the battery cover is removed the lag is greatly reduced and they seem to open fairly well.  However, they still do not seem to spring back as fast as they do with my cv1.  But without the battery cover, at least grabbing/throwing games are playable.

Are you saying that all your touch controllers using your Rift-S do not have this issue?  Thanks.

@sc204 Even with the battery cover removed the grip release seems to me a little bit slower than the cv1 (which releases as fast as lightning) so you need to time things a little better.  If you are having other tracking issues like controllers stuttering/shifting/freezing then this is going to have an effect as well.  Hopefully new firmware will help improve controller tracking stability.

Edit; just played Eleven table tennis and I did not notice any sticky balls.  I also played a bit of Toybox to test out throwing things around and now with the battery cover off everything grabs and releases fine.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just so I can understand everything that's going on, but it seems:

1. To get perfect FOV and find the sweet spot you need to remove the gasket.
2. For optimal sound you need new headphones and to find a method to hide the extra cables.
3. Battery cover must be off on the controllers. Wrist straps are loose and need fixing.
4. Keep your hands away from your face in VR, and don't try to hide stuff behind your back. In fact don't play fps or archery games. And don't throw stuff.
5. 70 < IPD < 58 = trouble.

The above is of course only relevant for those without usb3 and DisplayPort problems. 

Maybe Update 1.38 can fix some issues, but it looks like Oculus' software engineers won't be out of work this summer and maybe autumn...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Good one Rune, that just about sums it up for many.  Don't forget about the intermittent flashes (~ every 30 min for me) and it sounds like some are getting cables replaced already.

As long as there are temp workarounds and most my games/sims are playable, I'm not too fussed about first release hiccups.  Sometimes 1/2 the fun is getting though all these.  The improved picture quality is fantastic and this helps make everything else worthwhile to ride out, for me anyway.

I still confident that Oculus will sort these issues in a timely manner.  I agree, those guys are going to be busy little beavers for a while, lol!

kojack
MVP
MVP
All works fine for me in Home too. The animation of the release is a little slow, but since that's not used by games for grip it doesn't matter. Actual release of grabbed objects in Home is instant.

I just put Superhot on and played it for a while on my Rift-S. Throwing is easy, instant release of hands every time.

I loaded Roborecall on the quest with my other controllers. Zero lag there too. Of course it has other problems (hands get zero velocity when no in line of sight so throwing doesn't always work, but the release is still instant. It would actually be easier with lag since it would give time for the hands to get back to tracking before throwing.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Maybe go into Toybox and throw around those little blue boomerangs, gripping them with just your last 3 fingers.  Before removing the battery cover it would not release properly, especially the right controller.  Now it’s perfect.

Please only refer to your Rift S, not your Quest.  It’s getting hard to separate these issues as it is.  We probably need a separate Rift S section, at least for a little while imho.  Thanks and I’m glad to hear everything is working 100% for you.

Patrn_Flyr
Explorer
Even with the battery cover off and far away still getting some sticking of the ball to the left controller in Eleven TT.  Not as often though.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

sc204 said:

Even with the battery cover off and far away still getting some sticking of the ball to the left controller in Eleven TT.  Not as often though.

Look, that has nothing to do with the grip lag that this thread is about.  Yours sounds like a sticking fire button.  There is no grab/release in Eleven TT.  You have started another thread about this so maybe discuss this issue there.  Thanks.

Patrn_Flyr
Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

sc204 said:

Look, that has nothing to do with the grip lag that this thread is about.  Yours sounds like a sticking fire button.  There is no grab/release in Eleven TT.  You have started another thread about this so maybe discuss this issue there.  Thanks.

Both problems improve with removal of the battery cover.   Just because Eleven TT chose the trigger button to release the ball instead of the grip button do you really think that they are separate problems.  Sounds like the same issue to me.  Both are a lag in release.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@sc204 , Ya, sorry you are probably right.  They are both a release lag issue.  I guess if you got this then other shooter games would lag between shots.  I did not see this myself, even with the battery cover on.  After playing quite a few shooters I never noticed any lag between shots, but on the other hand I'm not exactly the fastest gun in the west, lol!