New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

Comments

• AnfronieAnfronie Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Anfronie said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Pretty sure those occasional flashes (I get them every 30-60 minutes) will be fixed with the next Rift-S software/firmware updates.  Oculus Support is well aware of this by now and have said that they are working on it.
    Do you have a source link showing that they are working on it? I really don't want to return my S if it can be fixed via software/firmware. 
    Ya, this is mentioned in the latest Rift S support tips on Static problems;

https://support.oculus.com/294426521446490/

At the end of this they say;

"If these steps do not resolve this behavior, we ask for your patience as we work on firmware improvements that will be ready shortly after launch. "

Personally, I have faith that Oculus will sort this out soon.

Well I hope they act quickly because by the looks of it a lot of people will be returning their headset because they feel it is a hardware issue. I really hope it can be fixed with an update. Return windows are closing in! :o
  • SimbelSimbel Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    It is a hardware issue. The support send me a new cable after checking my logs.
  • SkoziosSkozios Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Simbel said:
    The Support contacts me and im getting a new cable. seems like a hardware defect.
    Was yours just a very quick flash every 30 minutes or something much worse?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,523 Valuable Player
    Simbel said:
    Hope that works for you - if that is the case they may be sending out a bunch of new cables.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    I sent my logs but they didnt say i needed new cable. They said Just to be patient as they work on firmware. I told them if the firmware doesnt fix it i want a refund. Havent got a reply yet
  • SimbelSimbel Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Skozios said:
    Simbel said:
    The Support contacts me and im getting a new cable. seems like a hardware defect.
    Nothing worse, just the static flicker every 5-20 min..
    NerveGear
    dburne said:
    Simbel said:
    Hope that works for you - if that is the case they may be sending out a bunch of new cables.
    Why would they send a new cable out to some people and not others?!
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,712 Valuable Player
    If the logs show an issue hardware side they send cables out.
    WAAAGH!
    Hoping that new firmware comes soon, and really hoping it fixes my issue.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    Simbel said:
    i got the same issue, very dissapointed by the headset , i return it and not toutchoculus product after , i go for valve index
    Meanwhile mine works great. Explain that? Slow down man lol, exchange for another. Edit: wait, you're returning it for the Index because of a brief white flash that happens like twice an hour?

People. No shortage of a source of laughs.
    My Rift S flashes sometimes 2-3 in 5 mins. Explain that? Imagine something like that would happen with your TV or Gaming TFT. If a Product is not working correct and seems defect, you have to send it back.
    Right? But you don't wash your hands of it and wait a year. 
  • CatalpaBowCatalpaBow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    As a result of contacting support, they shipped the cable. However, it will take time to reach it :(
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Great tactic by that Support guy (ya fired!)
  • MPiresMPires Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    Simbel said:
    Skozios said:
    Simbel said:
    Nothing worse, just the static flicker every 5-20 min..
    I´m with the same issue.
    NerveGear
    As a result of contacting support, they shipped the cable. However, it will take time to reach it :(
    I submitted a ticket with a log file for this issue. We'll see what they say. Apparently the new firmware that just came out does not fix the random static flash. :( 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,710 Volunteer Moderator

I didn't get the white flashes at all for the first few days... probably 5-6 hours of use in total.

Then, after unplugging the USB cable to test a Touch standby functioning to problem-solve a poster's issue, I'm now getting the flashes and still happening after yesterday's firmware update.

My advice, if you're not getting the flashes.... don't touch those connections!!!

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    i return mine, tired by bad suppport ! 
    this rift s is a big problem in all side
    after the return time day gone what we can do it ? 
    nothing, is why is better to return NOW 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,710 Volunteer Moderator
    i return mine, tired by bad suppport ! 
    this rift s is a big problem in all side
    after the return time day gone what we can do it ? 
    nothing, is why is better to return NOW 

I disagree, this is a problem but it's the only problem I have, so I'd much rather wait for a fix.

There's a limit to how long I'd wait of course but I'm not at that limit yet. I suspect Oculus are working on it but it obviously wasn't included in yesterday's update.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • mhajii210mhajii210 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist

Try changing the process priority of the 3 exes above to higher or realtime. I can't recomend using realtime due to other issues that causes, but it does seem to "mostly" eliminate the snow and recentering and static issues that have been persisting...

I'm curious if this helps other users. Also disable the experimental feature for desktop window popouts.... if you have it enabled.

And lastly, use a powered USB 3.0 hub in between your rifts and the working usb port on your machine. basically find the working best port. and then use the powered hub on that port. Very strange I know. But this finally has me up and running. But I will be returning this thing shortly after I play around with it some more. I feel like I just beta tested an unfinished product and I am not very happy with spending 400 bucks on it..... Needed more work... software wise...

Hiro Protagonist
    I tried your suggestion of assigning a higher process priority but sadly it made no difference. I still see a single static frame once or twice an hour.
  • anadimianadimi Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I have exact same issue. A White grainy frame that is shown once every few minutes. Some times i can play for longer periods of time without it. But it is very regular and break immersion. 

I have tested this on 3 of my friends pc setup and we notice this on all platforms and different graphics cards. So this is not my computer problem. This is an issue with the rift it self. 
  • Cool_MC_CoolCool_MC_Cool Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    TELL US THE DATE ON THE BOX so that we gather what doesn't work similar to the first "Bad Batch" of Quest marked as 3/19. 
    IT WOULD ALSO HELP IF YOU POSTED THE DATE ON THE BOX even if it is working perfectly after a day's use & shutdown and another day's use.

@OculusSupport please make a Sticky for that.
    With the serialnumber of the device they should know the date of production or not? Adding SN to ticket is very important.
    Hiro Protagonist
    anadimi said:
    I have filmed my issue at the request of oculus. Hopefully i can share it with you. 
    Oculus rift s flicker issue https://imgur.com/gallery/D3bUr4j
    Wow great job! That is EXACTLY what I get for a single frame 1-2 times per hour. 
  • AzrefAzref Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    anadimi said:
    I have filmed my issue at the request of oculus. Hopefully i can share it with you. 
    Identical to to the flash I see when using my Rift S, I'm starting to doubt it's a hardware issue as it's random. Sometimes I don't get the flash when using the HMD sometimes I do, usage time varies as does when the flash appears.

Well Done on capturing this on film!
    Azref said:
    anadimi said:
    Identical to to the flash I see when using my Rift S, I'm starting to doubt it's a hardware issue as it's random. Sometimes I don't get the flash when using the HMD sometimes I do, usage time varies as does when the flash appears.

Well Done on capturing this on film!
    Yeah my brief white flashes are very random.
    Don

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,493 Valuable Player
    Yup, that's what mine looks like too!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Could be a cable problem as iv heard some people have been sent new cables. I get flash as well
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    I see the same.  Less since the update today, and nowhere near often enough to be a big issue.  Overall the Firmware/Software fixes today appear to have been a positive improvement.  I was playing ED in VR for a couple of hours this afternoon having had the PC on most of the day, a few flashes seen but otherwise excellent.
    I'm happy enough with the fixes, when the flash gets weeded out more the better!
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Yeah I am not seeing as many flashes now since this 1.38 update.
    Don

• Cool_MC_CoolCool_MC_Cool Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    nickyb78 said:
    Could be a cable problem as iv heard some people have been sent new cables. I get flash as well

But didn't help I read.