cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So we've got:

Oculus Rift = 461 PPI
HTC Vive Pro = 615 PPI
Samsung Odyssey+ = 1233 PPI (level)

Actually Samsung Odyssey+ is 616 PPI like the Vive Pro, but some magic happens according to Samsung:

Limitless Viewing Experience

With exclusive, evolutionary, SDE-minimizing Samsung display technology, users can perceive a 1,233ppi-level resolution. A 3.5" advanced Anti-SDE Dual AMOLED display lets you experience incredibly immersive mixed reality, and break down the boundaries between the real and the virtual.

9jb3383mvym0.jpg

Looks interesting though, could be simply awesome for movies and Netflix, we'll see when the first reviews arrive - more info here:

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/hmd/hmd-plus-xe800zba-hc1/

Some other improvements - design looks much like a copy of the Rift:

a5gb54dsw523.jpg

k51xqnacsbs1.jpg

by0be645p43a.jpg

85tbfy1a79ab.jpg

t1dyuuhmp5lw.jpg

It does actually look quite impressive - still those controllers look awful compared to Touch. Given enough time to evolve, Samsung may be a very serious contender, in fact Samsung could evolve to deserve a new logo!

wp5oennqvbip.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

205 REPLIES 205

Tobias_Claren
Honored Guest
Hello.

What kind of material is this (Anti SDE Filter in Odissey+)?
Where could I buy anti-SDE filter? Is this an "industrial product"? Can anyone buy that?
E.g. at Farnell (but without buying large quantities)?
Or I have to buy "anti-glare"? Possibly by using 2, 3 or 4 layers of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello.

What kind of material is this (Anti SDE Filter in Odissey+)?
Where could I buy anti-SDE filter? Is this an "industrial product"? Can anyone buy that?
E.g. at Farnell (but without buying large quantities)?
Or I have to buy "anti-glare"? Possibly by using 2, 3 or 4 layers of it.

To my understanding, it's software based, like an actual filter being applied. It softens the picture though.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe something is indeed brewing in the depths of the South Korean mines ... The Eye is alive and watching  B)

https://youtu.be/HV9TC5W534M

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
LOL back from the dead.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

LOL back from the dead.

Still would be great to see another VR headset out there, esp. from a quality house like Samsung.  I really don't look forward to only hearing about Quest 2 and HP G2 all 2021, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

TomCgcmfc said:

dburne said:

LOL back from the dead.

Still would be great to see another VR headset out there, esp. from a quality house like Samsung.  I really don't look forward to only hearing about Quest 2 and HP G2 all 2021, lol!

Agreed, and Samsung has so far used oled. I think Samsung made oled for CV1 too.
Samsung is a giant, if they really wanted I'm sure they could make the most awesome hmd of all, or close. 
At least we now got evidence of new controllers that do not look like WMR design at all. Could Sansung move away from WMR? Might only make sense if Samsung goes into bed with Valve... Or Facebook, but that latter bridge might be burnt for the time being...