cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WOW that Increased FOV (when you remove the face foam)

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
After a session with Racket Fury I took off the face-foam to leave it by the open window to dry. Aside from my bodily aroma attracting bees, butterflies, mosquitoes and the local alcoholics from the nearby park, it seems to be doing the trick. However, I then placed the Quest on my head without this foam and by-jove (I know not many people use this expression anymore) the fov increase is pretty substantial. I am now wondering how this face-foam could be modded to make this a permanent solution. I do have a nice thin leather VR Cover that I use(d) for the Rift but there is no velcro to attach it. I'd have to use some creative thinking to get secured. 

I am wondering though, aside from obvious reason for protecting the HMD from moisture, why Oculus use such thick foam wasting quite a bit of screen real estate in the process? I guess this is what Valve mean with the Index and the increase to 130 degree fov for the Index by moving the eyes closer to the lenses.

Thoughts?

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
22 REPLIES 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
by the way the foam is not removable from the plastic faceplate... a pitty

Fanible
Protege
It works great removing the mask with the Rift-S as well.  It sounds crazy, but I love it without the face foam.  It's mainly thanks to the new halo that it's possible, since all the support is around your head.  I felt like the original Rift (and maybe the Quest?) kinda needed the support from the brow and cheek to keep it in place.  With halo, it works fine just tightening it around your head and keeping the lenses dangling in front, so to speak.

But yeah, I felt silly when first trying it, but it's amazing.  The increased FOV and the increased clarity from the Rift-S screen makes this headset amazing to me.  So much better than the original Rift and Vive for the view alone.  Gives you a more square look instead of goggles, but I love it.

Now here's the weird thing.  I normally wear glasses.  I figured this couldn't work for me since I'd have to worry about the lenses scratching, but I have actually found I don't need my glasses when using it in this way.  I suppose it's possible that my eyes just aren't bad enough, but either way, I guess being able to bring my eyes so close to the screen and/or the way you can angle the lenses in just the right spot... but yeah, I don't really need my glasses when using the headset like this, like I do when using the Vive or Rift.  I just move the lenses right up to my eye balls, line it up until it's clear (don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I look kinda at an upward angle into them), tighten the halo and then I'm good to go.  It's pretty awesome.

Obviously this isn't going to be for everyone.  Mainly I imagine because of the fact that the outside world can be seen more and the possibility of light reflection.  For whatever reason, though, it doesn't bother me much.  And it's worth it for the greater FOV.

FlakMagnet
Adventurer

Fanible said:

Now here's the weird thing.  I normally wear glasses.  I figured this couldn't work for me since I'd have to worry about the lenses scratching, but I have actually found I don't need my glasses when using it in this way.  I suppose it's possible that my eyes just aren't bad enough, but either way, I guess being able to bring my eyes so close to the screen and/or the way you can angle the lenses in just the right spot... but yeah, I don't really need my glasses when using the headset like this, like I do when using the Vive or Rift.  I just move the lenses right up to my eye balls, line it up until it's clear (don't know about anyone else, but I feel like I look kinda at an upward angle into them), tighten the halo and then I'm good to go.  It's pretty awesome.

I found the same thing with the Quest. I have to wear my glasses in the Rift, but not in the Quest! I can adjust the position on my face to make the whole screen pin sharp. That might change though when my VR Cover arrives. Hope not though 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
yea i realy need a thinner facepad to come closer to the screens,is much better this way..

Luciferous
Consultant
Any idea how much extra FOV you  get roughly? One of my main reasons for not choosing the rift s was no improvement to FOV?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Any idea how much extra FOV you  get roughly? One of my main reasons for not choosing the rift s was no improvement to FOV?

Was just going to ask the same question.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
In reality it's not much but does help with the tunnel vision feeling. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Luciferous
Consultant
I noticed this on the CV1 if you tightened the headset until your eyes bulge. 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have just done this mod on my CV1 and the difference is night and day. How come Oculus don't consider these things when designing their headsets. This mod gives you a bigger Fov and improves the horrible binocular effect. Now I don't see the line in the middle like you get when looking through a pair of Binoculars. I wish I'd seen this mod earlier.

Tickbait
Honored Guest
Does removing the facial insert increase God-rays?  I noticed that with the fresnel lenses, there seems to be an optimum focal distance that mitigates the appearance of God-rays on the Quest.