cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S black screen on MSI Laptop with Mini Display Port Adapter

Aupuma
Explorer
Hi, my Rift S has arrived today and I have two computers where I want to use it. 

First, I have tried it on a MSI Laptop model GP63 Leopard 8RE, using the Mini Display Port adapter.
At first it was recognized, but when it was going through the setup process there were some errors, I had to reconnect the USB and Display Port.
Finally I got to the end, where it says "Continue on the VR headset" and when I put it on, the screen does not light up, it is completely black. 
The laptop succeded without any issues the compatibility tool, it is VR Ready and carries a Gtx 1060 with the latest drivers, I don't know if the MiniDisplay Port is connected directly to the Nvidia Gpu or the integrated GPU...

Then I connected the Rift S to my desktop PC and it works properly, so it has to do with the laptop or the adapter, not the headset. Any ideas?
51 REPLIES 51

LBayard
Explorer
the type C to DP adapter did not work for me ...

MikePixelPusher
Protege
LBayard said:

the type C to DP adapter did not work for me ...

Thanks for trying. I have officially ran out of ideas.. 
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Bryros
Explorer
+1. Now, the game see in the monitor pc but no in the oculus. I dont have any idea 😞

Now, if i run a game, the game play in the portatil screen but not in the glasses.
I think that the problem is the mini hdmi but i don't have any idea.

Later, i Try in other pc, but in my portatil is lose

hscheck
Explorer
Had a similar issue on an MSI GP73 laptop w/ gtx 1070.  Rift S video
would go black after 20 to 25 seconds into the setup.  Installed an
older NVIDIA driver (ver 417.71) and its been fine since.

MikePixelPusher
Protege
This the support response I just received. 

"Hi Michael,

I apologize for the delay in getting to you; as Rory mentioned, the launch has us busier than usual.

We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Good luck mike i hope it works.
WAAAGH!

JoeSowa
Honored Guest
If you apply for the test server on the Settings>Beta tab of the Oculus app, download the update, the mini DisplayPort works!( Also in windows setting enable your camera, or the sensors won't work!)

MikePixelPusher
Protege

JoeSowa said:

If you apply for the test server on the Settings>Beta tab of the Oculus app, download the update, the mini DisplayPort works!( Also in windows setting enable your camera, or the sensors won't work!)

What computer or laptop do you have?

odarial
Honored Guest
I have same problem with msi gl63 8rd (nvidia 1050ti) ill try it with miniport to usb type c adapter.

MikePixelPusher
Protege

odarial said:

I have same problem with msi gl63 8rd (nvidia 1050ti) ill try it with miniport to usb type c adapter.

Also try the newest beta firmware.