Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can also verify the white flash is still here. I put in a ticket on day one and they still haven't addressed this at all. Not even a "hey it's flashing because". I really, really don't want to return it, but it's very distracting and immersion breaking for me. And also the lack of communication is putting serious strain on my trust and loyalty in them.

ShocksVR
Superstar
You can also provide feedback through the Oculus Home app, it auto attaches logs and everything: https://i.imgur.com/xN1sXGi.png

Oculus has been public about looking into the issues, but we don't necessarily need daily briefings on their progress.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
We don't need daily briefings but how about ONE? They are mass producing a $500 HMD and all they do is give you copy pasta trouble shooting, and a beta update that does screw all.

Orkel
Adventurer
After 2 hours of testing in H3VR and VRchat:
-Static flashes still appear. Got approx 3 of them during the 2 hour period. Less often than before (previously it was 1 every few minutes),but they still happen.
-Controller tracking has no improvements (left controller still loses tracking randomly and freezes in midair for 1-3 seconds, only the left controller specifically). Close-up tracking with 2 handed rifles still glitchy, making VRFPS games unplayable.
-Never had blackscreens myself so cannot comment on this part of the fix
-Audio is still inferior to headphones unsurprisingly, but there is a slight improvement overall

Anonymous
Not applicable
Exactly what I'm trying to say Comic_Book_Guy.  These headsets have a return window that's now (for me at least) one quarter gone. Oculus and Facebook had years to gear up for this launch and put resources into place to deal with the inevitable slam of problem tickets and such. All I've received from them is the "turn it off and on" form letter, and then....nothing. In 8 days. Just speaking for myself, that's unacceptable from a company of their size and with the resources at their disposal. You're welcome to disagree obviously, and I'm not suggesting gathering outside of Oculus HQ with pitchforks and torches, but I expect more from a multi billion dollar company launching it's next iteration of products. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ah man, I was so hopeful this update along with new firmware would fix the black screen issue that has been plaguing me.
Denied - same issue remains on my end.
Will keep working with support through my support ticket.

kittinzaa
Honored Guest
update take forever it stuck at updating screen....

RT2
Explorer
This update made my Rift S unusable because it's not recognized anymore by the Oculus App. Also the controllers keep blinking and rumbling by intermittence, even if I close the Oculus app. I tried it twice and got the same result each time. Thankfully I was able to downgrade it to the previous version by opting out from the beta.

Oculus has been public about looking into the issues, but we don't necessarily need daily briefings on their progress.

"but ---> I <--- don't necessarily need daily briefings on their progress.". Please don't speak for everyone because for many of us, the Rift S is a huge disappointment and the lack of communication about this is a real problem.

For example, and from what I read, loud sounds make the headset crash because the single USB cable can't provide enough power for everything to works at full load. It looks like it's an hardware issue, and because of this, it may never be fixed no matter how many time they update the firmware. I may be wrong about this (and I really hope I am), but who knows? Only Oculus, and their silence about this is worrying.

I still have 8 days left to return my headset, and if by this time I'm still completely unsure of their ability to fix everything with software updates, I will be forced to return it because keeping a flawed 400$ device (450€ in my country -_-) which may never be fully working is not a viable option.

ShocksVR
Superstar
@RT2 If you all are worried about your return window then return the S and buy again when the issues are worked out.

Oculus support already stated last week they were looking into the issues and were working on a firmware update (which they released today).  It looks like the firmware still wasn't enough. So perhaps use the "Feedback" option and stay in contact with Oculus Support.

But if you can;t do that then be an adult and refund the S. My S works just fine (love it btw), but if I were having your guy's issues I would have refunded it long ago. . . .
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

sraura
Heroic Explorer
There is always solution of getting usb hub which has external power supply. They don't cost much. However personally I don't have power shortage issues even Rift S is connected directly to computers usb port. Might be that some people have computers which lack on power supply front.