cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy guys,

i get no picture when i should use my rift s to end the setup in VR. Only black screen, white led and sound, but no picture. Reinstalled, reconnected, new driver and so on.
Im on a i7 4790k, gtx 1080. Till now i put hours in this damn thing....
177 REPLIES 177

LBayard
Explorer
MikePixelPusher, I've pretty much tried everything to get it to work, without success, so I submitted a ticket on Sunday to see what they say. I would exchange it for a new one if they think that the headset is defective. If they don't send a response by Wednesday, though, I'll be sending the headset back to Oculus. There is no reason why a new headset should be a brick for more than a day or so. 

Snakedokter
Honored Guest
Got the same problem the Topic Starter has. Tryed everything that's been said here. 
Received him today and was trilled to play DCS again. 
What an anticlimax.
Create a ticket 😞  We'll see how this goes.

FeralReaper
Protege
There is quite literally NO WAY hundreds of people have defective headsets. This is insane. I got it working for a few hours and now I can't get it working again and my flippin monitor keeps flashing to a black screen when the software is open

FeralReaper
Protege
Where the hell do I make a ticket?

hscheck
Explorer

Had a similar issue on an MSI GP73 laptop w/ gtx 1070.  Rift S video would go black after 20 to 25 seconds into the setup.  Installed an older NVIDIA driver (ver 417.71) and its been fine since.  The last communication from Oculus Support was

"Unless
the laptop has been certified as Oculus Ready, laptops are typically a
bit tricky to connect to the Oculus headsets due to the internal
architecture of the laptop.

All
Oculus Ready machines have been subjected to a series of tests over a
two week testing period before Oculus will guarantee that they can
provide full functionality of the Rift headsets.

As
new versions of the NVIDIA drivers are released, you may want to try
them to see if they will work on your laptop together with the Rift."

So, with that, it's either get a certified Oculus Ready laptop or I'm on my own.  At some point, this old working NVIDIA driver may not work properly with other software or a future Oculus update.  I attached the Oculus Logs to the ticket.  But, their responses didn't give me the impression they looked at them.  If there is an issue with the latest NVIDIA drivers, I would hope the Oculus Logs would be shared with NVIDIA and MSI.

MikePixelPusher
Protege
I would hope as a result of these issues that future Nvidia drivers do not have this issue.
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

user_4448022410
Honored Guest
For those with MSI laptops, there is a known issue that MSI hardware paired with more recent Nvidia drivers cannot establish an HDCP link therefore you will get dropped video. It can be either a sudden drop then recover or complete black screen. 

The only temp fix would be to download an older driver that doesn't have the HDCP authentication issue. 
1. Download from nvidia site driver version 417.71 
2. Download directly from MSI website for your specific laptop/graphics card driver. (usually their site isn't up to date so whatever is current for them is really old and should work). 

While MSi and Nvidia are working on a fix, our only bet now is to wait if you insist on using the latest drivers. 

LBayard
Explorer
After upgrading the Oculus software, and firmware, my Rift S was rebooting every 25 seconds, which was better than not booting at all.
I downgraded my NVidia drivers to 398.35 - which is available from the MSI website. I can confirm that my headset is now working with the miniDP. I do have a minor gripe with Robo recall being a bit jaggy at times, but everything is good now

Gunderwulde
Explorer
Hey @LBayard  could you pass me the Driver 's link? I can't find it.. I must be stupid. 😞

Techy111
MVP
MVP
https://www.nvidia.com/drivers/beta

Put your GPU in and it will load up older drivers for you to select.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.