Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

groy1
Honored Guest
Does this update do anything for the tracking? I still can't use the Rift S because the controllers lock in place minutes after starting the software. They still rotate, the buttons still work, but they don't move.

Avi8tor0
Honored Guest

Doctori said:

its deceiving. Sounded like an update, but this was in addition:
If you're using Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues, please try opting into the latest PTC (https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/) build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

Is this the only update?

This didn't fix the black screen for me. After applying the firmware, the headset worked flawlessly. I could shut down Oculus and restart it and it worked. However, after a reboot, the black screen came back. Also the white flashes and stuttering seem to happen more frequently. Rebooting Oculus takes 3 times to get the screen back.
Seems passthrough is an issue. If I use my USB 3.0 card, I get snow.
Move it to the motherboard USB and passthrough works.

USB powersave is off. 
Tracking is now worse with obvious studders
I'm purchasing a USB 3 to Type C adapter to plug directly into my RTX2080 to see if that corrects any of the issues.
I have the latest windows 10 updates and Nvidia drivers.

Knutsi
Protege

groy1 said:

Does this update do anything for the tracking? I still can't use the Rift S because the controllers lock in place minutes after starting the software. They still rotate, the buttons still work, but they don't move.

Does your headset also sometimes not pass the sensor check during setup? Mine got what you described once, then never recovered. 

Kitijun
Honored Guest

After updating to 1.38 I am getting some stuttering when moving my head around.  Going back to 1.37 for the moment.

same for me, at first i thought it was my pc, and reinstalled the whole OS xD ... but nope, it was the FW

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I took a chance and updated to 1.38ptc (Oculus App Version 1.38.0.250171) earlier today.  Actually this worked out very well for me.  I have not found any problems with any games/sims from Oculus Store, Steam, or independents.  

The controller grips no longer lag and tracking seems a little better.  Audio is a bit better as well.  I still find going into the sound control panel and enabling Bass Boost helps produce a nicer, deeper sound.  Not quite as tinny.

I'm still getting a very short white screen flash every 20-30 minutes.  Oculus says they are working on this for the next update (next week or so?).  This is really the only remaining major issue that needs fixing for me.  Overall I'm really enjoying my nice new Rift S and I'm looking forward to further tweaks from the Oculus engineers.

Anyway, at least I can put the controller battery covers on again, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine works just as yours but is still Win1809 (no Hotfix used) and Oculus 1.37 but the controller lag was only on the first use of it and vanished completely. I tried the PCIe USB3.0 card and tracking glitched lots making Re-Centre happen every 5secs! So I'm back to using the m/b USB3.1 ASMedia again for now.

dazzyb2k3
Honored Guest

josefulus said:

After updating to 1.38 I am getting some stuttering when moving my head around.  Going back to 1.37 for the moment.

I'm getting the same stuttering with this update as well. 

Same here. Stuttered all over the place with 1.38.  Tried updating drivers etc but no joy.  Rolled back to 1.37 and everything is butter smooth again.

MoTivE12
Honored Guest

I have had my rift s for a week now its my first vr headset and for the most part when it is working   it is very enjoyable and I love it BUT!!! I have been experiencing issues just as what is plastered all over these forums as of late such as the black screen issues randomly which seem for myself to be only caused by loud noises in game or actions such as hitting hands together in pokerstars vr or bigscreen etc. I seem to  have stopped these black screens from happening by plugging in my own headphones into the rift s headset and strangely this does the trick ???

I also do experience the white flashes of static light from time to time and thought this was due to my USB 3.0 ports not having a dedicated power supply so I purchased the Oculus recommended Inateck USB 3.0 PCI express card to try remedy this but black screens do still seem to happen along with the static  if I have no headphones plugged into the headset which makes me believe the black screens are something to do with the audio drivers/speaker hardware.

Just to note I have had no problems with sensors or them not setting up correctly, although annoyingly sometimes after a black screen event I may have to reset up all the oculus guardian boundary's!!!!!!!...annoying as hell.

I will try this update tonight to see if I still get black screens with no headphones plugged in and update on this thread of my findings.

Fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Just to update on i have been running the new beta update now for a few hours and all seems to be fine no blackouts at all, iv tried everything to force the black screen issues that i know from before and it stays stable i do get a few white static from time to time and occasionaly i notice the stuttering now and again but i think its going in the right direction for myself personally and im sure can be fixed in the next update soon.

I have not used any headphones on the headet and have had my audio set to 100% the whole time on the rift s.

Good work Oculus seem things are slowly coming together here but there is still alot more work required.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do wonder if the problems go if we don't push the Volume up to 100% as from 50% upwards barely NOTHING HAPPENS! Thus indicating it is limiting the output to prevent clipping which is extra processing.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, I cranked my rift s headphone volumes down to 50% as well.  Still plenty loud for me and maybe a little less static feedback (odd crackle) as well.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers