Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Anonymous
Not applicable
LMAO doing lone echo and can't hear the lady ( can't believe forgot her name ), livia ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Doctori said:

LOL

ninjacoiffeur
Honored Guest
people who install the beta update don t forget to reset the headset in the oculus software after installation

DeliriumBlades
Protege

RG4520 said:

I wanted to put this out there for what it's worth. I've been experiencing the random snow/static every 5 to 20 minutes since day one. I put in a support ticket to Oculus on day one. We've been going back and forth and today they told me they wanted me to send the whole thing back. I send mine back, they ship out a new one. They said it would take two or more weeks. Wasn't really wanting to wait that long so I just exchanged mine at Best Buy. 

My day one model was manufactured 3/19. The one I exchanged it for, which didn't get to the store until this past Tuesday (one week from launch) was manufactured 4/19. 

The cord felt a little different on the new headset. It may just be placebo, but I noticed it right away as I was unpacking. Almost felt like a deflated balloon latexy kinda thing, whereas the first felt less stretchy around the cable. (if that makes any sense) It was also wrapped in the case in a different orientation than my original. 

It's now been a solid 2 hours of playing a variety of games and I haven't gotten a single flash. It's also not stuttering when opening up pass-through like the other one was prone to do at times. My original headset was flashing static almost immediately upon firing it up. It played fantastic, no crashes or anything, just the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes, and the pass-through not always wanting to cooperate. This new one has none of those issues thus far. I've tried out both the original firmware, and yesterdays update, and it was just as smooth and non static flashy on both. 

I've read from a variety of users that they've gotten flashes as late as several hours into playing, so if I get any static flashing whatsoever I will update this post right away. I'm not discounting that I'm in a honeymoon phase and this headset just hasn't decided to act up yet, and the manufacture date has nothing to do with the static or whatnot. However the evidence so far is promising. On the last headset I tried all 8 of my USB slots. 6 3.0 and 2 3.1. I also used an adapter and tried the Nvidia virtual link USB C connection on my 2080ti Founders Edition. It was the same flashing on every port. On the new headset tonight I started out with the 3.1, but if I go the weekend without a static flash I'll start trying the others as well just to cover my bases. 

And while it may just be the default thing they do, the fact that Oculus wanted to exchange my full kit instead of telling me to wait for a firmware update or maybe send me a new cable, led me to go ahead and do the exchange at Best Buy because I knew it was a separate shipment and was probably not just another one from the same batch.

Maybe it is hardware? I would be super curious to see tear-downs on some of these and see if the headsets were manufactured with different models of  components (maybe to keep the supply chain flowing, or maybe there are multiple factories making them, etc. Kind of like how Nvidia used different ram modules on the 2080ti's, some Samsung, some Micron)

Mine are manufactured 4/2019.....i never had black screen issue..but i have the snowy white flashes every few minutes.. Sometimes 1-3 times in a burst of a few minutes...then nothing for 5-10 minutes,then a blip again. etc.. never ends. Sometimes it'll do it with in the 1st few seconds of a session and sometimes it wont do it for a few minutes

javelina1
Explorer

Mine are manufactured 4/2019.....i never had black screen issue..but i have the snowy white flashes every few minutes.. Sometimes 1-3 times in a burst of a few minutes...then nothing for 5-10 minutes,then a blip again. etc.. never ends. Sometimes it'll do it with in the 1st few seconds of a session and sometimes it wont do it for a few minutes

How do you determine the manufacture date? 
Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios, HawgTouch, Ikarus & MFD extracts), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908

Hunter1
Explorer
Sound is still too low after firmware update. The Oculus rep Nate said that an upcoming sound update would be significant. Being that this is a beta update, I do hope that the REAL update will surprise us with improved sound.

As for resetting the Rift, sometimes just restarting the app is not enough. I've had a couple of connect issues I resolved by stopping and restarting the oculus services. I ran across a batch file someone created some time ago, and it has saved me many times.
Here it is:
@echo off
echo Preparing to disable Oculus Runtime Services
pause

net stop OVRService

echo Oculus Runtime Stopped, enjoy your non-VR experience
echo When you're ready to re-enable VR
pause

net start OVRService

echo Oculus Runtime Services have been re-enabled
echo Enjoy your Virtual Reality experiences and
pause

Just copy the above into a text file and save it with a .bat extension. Right-clicking on the file to run as admin is all that is needed.

DeliriumBlades
Protege

javelina1 said:

How do you determine the manufacture date? 

on the box it came in..

tehnibi
Honored Guest
still having the same issues saying something about my drivers on my graphics card and stuff about vulkan api (gtx 1060 6gb) it is fully up to date with the may 27th driver I even used DDU program in safe mode to clean it all up ... twice

6vzlrn18tku1.png

the rift s I have works I took it to my brothers house and set it up there worked perfectly (gtx 1070) 

Hicks613
Heroic Explorer
Windows Update May 2019 audio in Oculus Home issue is not addressed.  Tracking has not been looked at.  yet

Hunter1
Explorer
There is another sound issue that many people may not be aware of that could be affecting them. I have it too. The balance of the speakers in Windows 10 is directly tied to the volume. For example, if you set your volume to 100, both left and right balance channels get set to 100. The only way I can get the balance of my stereo speakers/headphones/Rift headphones to the 50 mark, where they should be, is to lower the volume to 50. So people with popping and cracking sounds in the Rift S may be because of this issue. If the L/R balance is set to 100 this can cause distortion. This doesn't bother me with my computer speakers as I use my usb audio hardware to control the volume. But both my CV1 and Rift S are "out of balance". You guys may want to check your sound settings in the control panel.

Somewhere back a few Windows 10 updates this got broken for me. I don't know when. A few folks have put in tickets to Microsoft for this issue with no resolution that I have found.