cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

euliver
Honored Guest
I already updated all possibly related drivers (Windows 10, Oculus and Nvidia) and checked the cable connections on both ends, it doesn't seem to be a connectivity problem as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be related to moving the cable or not at all. The screen just randomly turns grainy/snowy (like a grainy TV screen used to I guess) for a fraction of a second for no reason while playing games, but immediately returns to normal. It just flashes. Doesn't matter which game or software I try either. I'm worried it might be a hardware problem, but that seems unlikely too, wouldn't the Rift S just shut off completely if it just lost connection? Not sure. Anyway, it isn't all that bothersome and happens rarely and randomly, but I'd certainly prefer it if this wouldn't happen anymore, and not just because I fear it might become worse. I hope it's a software problem and that I can find out what causes it soon, so that I won't have to return the unit.

142 REPLIES 142

Cool_MC_Cool
Protege

nickyb78 said:

Could be a cable problem as iv heard some people have been sent new cables. I get flash as well

But didn't help I read. 

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
Flashes still occur at the same frequency with 1.38. Audio quality is better by the way...
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

Simbel
Explorer

Yobiwan29 said:

Flashes still occur at the same frequency with 1.38. Audio quality is better by the way...

as 1.37.?

michL57
Explorer
we got this on the quest too, so it shouldnt be the cable imho.

I've never had it on the Quest.

I have it on the S though with the latest update and I think it's happening at the same frequency as previously but it happens quite rarely and randomly so it's difficult to be absolutely sure. My feeling is the update contained other stuff but not a fix for this.

I don't notice a change in audio either.

Anfronie
Protege

we got this on the quest too, so it shouldnt be the cable imho.

The white pixel flash is different on my Quest. The Quest will have like a string of horizontal static going across for a split second every once and a while. The S has one full frame of static flash for a split second every 20-30 min.

Cool_MC_Cool
Protege
For the sensors since today I use a PCI-E USB extension card and it works perfect by the first plug in 🙂 (and second) 
Further tests follow. 
Have a external hub and a Y cable to test further.

UPDATE: external hub is bad, Rift S don't get recognized. 

DEEZYNSUPS
Honored Guest
I just bought my Rift s on Monday and by Tuesday I have been experiencing multiple issues. My main issue is the grainy snow color flashes I have been getting ever since this Tuesday. Every time I start to use it about 2 to 3 minutes of use it starts to flash and every 5 to 10 minutes or so afterward. I did everything known I swear but I'm done. I was thinking about keeping it and waiting for an update. I change my mind after reading about a ton of things online about it.  I paid a lot for this to happen within a short time is not acceptable. I understand it's new in all but come on man I wanna enjoy what I paid for. I'm returning mines today guys and gals signing off this joint have a great weekend cuz I know I will with getting my full refund back.  

christopherbarn
Adventurer
@DEEZYNSUPS k, bye.

Anfronie
Protege
I know many of us like to defend Oculus because we are VR fans but you can't fault someone for returning this because a big issue like white static flashes or the many other things people are dealing with the S. My snow flashes happen like once every 30 min. If they start happening every 2-3 minutes, I'm not putting up with that. This should have been worked before launch among many other things. I'm just glad I have a 30 day return window or I would be returning mine too. No one really knows how long this will take to fix. I'm sure they are working hard but it's still kind of ridiculous to have to put up with these big issues. This isn't even the worst issue out there. There are a lot of people that simply can't use it at all! :open_mouth: