New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

Comments

• Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    Flashes still occur at the same frequency with 1.38. Audio quality is better by the way...
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • SimbelSimbel Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Flashes still occur at the same frequency with 1.38. Audio quality is better by the way...
    as 1.37.?
  • michaelstomichaelsto Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    we got this on the quest too, so it shouldnt be the cable imho.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,808 Volunteer Moderator

I've never had it on the Quest.

I have it on the S though with the latest update and I think it's happening at the same frequency as previously but it happens quite rarely and randomly so it's difficult to be absolutely sure. My feeling is the update contained other stuff but not a fix for this.

I don't notice a change in audio either.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • AnfronieAnfronie Posts: 16
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    we got this on the quest too, so it shouldnt be the cable imho.
    The white pixel flash is different on my Quest. The Quest will have like a string of horizontal static going across for a split second every once and a while. The S has one full frame of static flash for a split second every 20-30 min.
  • Cool_MC_CoolCool_MC_Cool Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    For the sensors since today I use a PCI-E USB extension card and it works perfect by the first plug in :) (and second) 
    Further tests follow. 
    Have a external hub and a Y cable to test further.

UPDATE: external hub is bad, Rift S don't get recognized. 
  • DEEZYNSUPSDEEZYNSUPS Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I just bought my Rift s on Monday and by Tuesday I have been experiencing multiple issues. My main issue is the grainy snow color flashes I have been getting ever since this Tuesday. Every time I start to use it about 2 to 3 minutes of use it starts to flash and every 5 to 10 minutes or so afterward. I did everything known I swear but I'm done. I was thinking about keeping it and waiting for an update. I change my mind after reading about a ton of things online about it.  I paid a lot for this to happen within a short time is not acceptable. I understand it's new in all but come on man I wanna enjoy what I paid for. I'm returning mines today guys and gals signing off this joint have a great weekend cuz I know I will with getting my full refund back.  
  • christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    @DEEZYNSUPS k, bye.
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    I know many of us like to defend Oculus because we are VR fans but you can't fault someone for returning this because a big issue like white static flashes or the many other things people are dealing with the S. My snow flashes happen like once every 30 min. If they start happening every 2-3 minutes, I'm not putting up with that. This should have been worked before launch among many other things. I'm just glad I have a 30 day return window or I would be returning mine too. No one really knows how long this will take to fix. I'm sure they are working hard but it's still kind of ridiculous to have to put up with these big issues. This isn't even the worst issue out there. There are a lot of people that simply can't use it at all! :open_mouth:
  • ZebKingstonZebKingston Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Ran both the Software / Firmware-update yesterday - didn't change a thing... (apologies for the double-post)
  • profanicusprofanicus Posts: 13
    Brain Burst
    Should I be putting a ticket in for this? Or just wait?
  • DeliriumBladesDeliriumBlades Posts: 10
    Brain Burst
    Should I be putting a ticket in for this? Or just wait?
    please..always submit a ticket
    Brain Burst
    Ran both the Software / Firmware-update yesterday - didn't change a thing... (apologies for the double-post)
    They already stated in another post that this current firmware they are about to release will not fix the static flashes. It's probably on their short list of things to do but they better hurry.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Simbel said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    as 1.37.?
    Yes :|
    Oculus Quest - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i7 8700 - 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - Crucial MX300 500Go + 1To - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have the same problem.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    Is there someone here with an RTX card ? How is it performing on a virtual link port ?
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Yobiwan29 said:
    Is there someone here with an RTX card ? How is it performing on a virtual link port ?
    I have the RTX 2080ti FE. I've used it with an amazon basics USB C to A 3.1 adapter. It works exactly like my other USB ports, with no trouble at all except for the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    RG4520 said:
    Yobiwan29 said:
    I have the RTX 2080ti FE. I've used it with an amazon basics USB C to A 3.1 adapter. It works exactly like my other USB ports, with no trouble at all except for the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes. 
    It seems to be a driver/firmware issue. I ordered an other device to see if those flashing frames occur again.
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    It seems to be a driver/firmware issue. I ordered an other device to see if those flashing frames occur again.
    I can tell you that I've now swapped mine out 3 times at Best Buy due to various issues (dead pixel, broken controller, etc.) and it flickers exactly same on all of them.

I'm on my 4th headset now and it behaves exactly the same as the first. It's gotta be firmware/software. If not, they have a major problem on their hands. 
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    OR it is USB Power and even though it works may fail at some point.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,645 Valuable Player
    Yeah power issue makes no sense.
    In my case, CV1 had no issues on my latest rig built in Jan - and it was using two sensors, headset usb, and hdmi.
    Rift S much less with just display port and one usb, and I got constant black screen issues.
    My replacement from Amazon arrives today , keeping fingers crossed.

I have plenty of power in my system, and a very nice Z390 motherboard.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited June 2019

Yep, I really think it's a headset firmware thing. It's such a common issue that it must be spanning many different MBs, USB power settings, hub types etc. to be anything else. I'll give it a month to be fixed... I'm a patient bloke and this isn't a major issue for me.

However, if this doesn't get fixed and if Oculus (or someone else) don't bring out decent clip-on CV1 style headphones, these 2 things combined will put me in the return camp.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Oculus admitted the cable suffered from noise interference.
    Brain Burst
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Maybe but I still think it is a firmware/software issue. I think they are sending cables out to people that keep pushing back because they don't know what else to do. I'll continue thinking this until they officially make a statement on this or some other evidence comes forward. It's just so random. 
    edited June 2019
    Anfronie said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Maybe but I still think it is a firmware/software issue. I think they are sending cables out to people that keep pushing back because they don't know what else to do. I'll continue thinking this until they officially make a statement on this or some other evidence comes forward. It's just so random. 

Agreed, noise interference would be more predictable and more repeatable. An intermittent, very brief flash, every 30 minutes or so is something else.

I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't happening for me for the first few days of use. I did unplug/reconnect the headset at around the same time that my flashes started but it could have been coincidence.

I'm just concerned that there's a possibility that it's a headset component issue.... some SMD component like a capacitor, bridge rectifier or transistor.

Brain Burst
    Anfronie said:
    MAC_MAN86 said:

Agreed, noise interference would be more predictable and more repeatable. An intermittent, very brief flash, every 30 minutes or so is something else.

I'm still trying to figure out why it wasn't happening for me for the first few days of use. I did unplug/reconnect the headset at around the same time that my flashes started but it could have been coincidence.

I'm just concerned that there's a possibility that it's a headset component issue.... some SMD component like a capacitor, bridge rectifier or transistor.

Yep and if it is a component issue then they will have a lot of warranty replacements to deal with. I'm hoping they are looking at all the logs sent to them and figuring out commonalities between PCs with the same issue.  
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    I noticed last night (playing ED for a few hours) that when the random flash occurs on-screen that it is also accompanied by a brief 'tick' in the sound also.
    Qualifier: this was the first evening that there was no 'external' noise as wife had gone to bed early, so no TV garbage in the background...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    RattyUK said:
    this was the first evening that there was no 'external' noise as wife had gone to bed early
    ahem.
  • Brian1256Brian1256 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    RattyUK said:
    I noticed last night (playing ED for a few hours) that when the random flash occurs on-screen that it is also accompanied by a brief 'tick' in the sound also.
    Qualifier: this was the first evening that there was no 'external' noise as wife had gone to bed early, so no TV garbage in the background...
    I’ve noticed that also, like the headset has lost synch to the pc for an instant. It’s less noticeable on the sound but both are affected by the issue. Ticket submitted last week and sending logs now, they requested a video of the flash but haven’t figured a good wat to get that.