Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

javelina1
Explorer

dburne said:

Hmm I have not seen an update today on PTC, least not that I noticed.

Me neither....

still on beta: 1.38.0.250171
firmware: 1.7.1
Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios, HawgTouch, Ikarus & MFD extracts), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908

Anonymous
Not applicable

javelina1 said:

dburne said:

Hmm I have not seen an update today on PTC, least not that I noticed.

Me neither....

still on beta: 1.38.0.250171
firmware: 1.7.1

Yep same here.

pexpe85
Honored Guest
edit. reinstall stable firmware and now it works. beta channel no more

stch7299
Explorer

RG4520 said:

I wanted to put this out there for what it's worth. I've been experiencing the random snow/static every 5 to 20 minutes since day one. I put in a support ticket to Oculus on day one. We've been going back and forth and today they told me they wanted me to send the whole thing back. I send mine back, they ship out a new one. They said it would take two or more weeks. Wasn't really wanting to wait that long so I just exchanged mine at Best Buy. 

My day one model was manufactured 3/19. The one I exchanged it for, which didn't get to the store until this past Tuesday (one week from launch) was manufactured 4/19. 

The cord felt a little different on the new headset. It may just be placebo, but I noticed it right away as I was unpacking. Almost felt like a deflated balloon latexy kinda thing, whereas the first felt less stretchy around the cable. (if that makes any sense) It was also wrapped in the case in a different orientation than my original. 

It's now been a solid 2 hours of playing a variety of games and I haven't gotten a single flash. It's also not stuttering when opening up pass-through like the other one was prone to do at times. My original headset was flashing static almost immediately upon firing it up. It played fantastic, no crashes or anything, just the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes, and the pass-through not always wanting to cooperate. This new one has none of those issues thus far. I've tried out both the original firmware, and yesterdays update, and it was just as smooth and non static flashy on both. 

I've read from a variety of users that they've gotten flashes as late as several hours into playing, so if I get any static flashing whatsoever I will update this post right away. I'm not discounting that I'm in a honeymoon phase and this headset just hasn't decided to act up yet, and the manufacture date has nothing to do with the static or whatnot. However the evidence so far is promising. On the last headset I tried all 8 of my USB slots. 6 3.0 and 2 3.1. I also used an adapter and tried the Nvidia virtual link USB C connection on my 2080ti Founders Edition. It was the same flashing on every port. On the new headset tonight I started out with the 3.1, but if I go the weekend without a static flash I'll start trying the others as well just to cover my bases. 

And while it may just be the default thing they do, the fact that Oculus wanted to exchange my full kit instead of telling me to wait for a firmware update or maybe send me a new cable, led me to go ahead and do the exchange at Best Buy because I knew it was a separate shipment and was probably not just another one from the same batch.

Maybe it is hardware? I would be super curious to see tear-downs on some of these and see if the headsets were manufactured with different models of  components (maybe to keep the supply chain flowing, or maybe there are multiple factories making them, etc. Kind of like how Nvidia used different ram modules on the 2080ti's, some Samsung, some Micron)

UPDATE: I'm actually relieved to update that the static flashes returned in the exact fashion they've been occurring all along. I'm now pretty much sold that it's a software issue.

How do u know when the rift s was mfg?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Look at the barcode label on the box it came in.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's on the cardboard box. Mine is 4/19 and has the issues. Needs a proper software fix and an announcement is well over due.

criznag
Honored Guest
I just bought a powered 10 port USB 3.0 Hub and all my issues are gone!!! Still on old firmware/software!! Before black screen crash 2-5 minutes into Robo Recall!! WOOHOO! So fun!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Test it for 2hours then try again next day and report back 😉

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege

criznag said:

I just bought a powered 10 port USB 3.0 Hub and all my issues are gone!!! Still on old firmware/software!! Before black screen crash 2-5 minutes into Robo Recall!! WOOHOO! So fun!

Can you share a link to the 10 port hub please.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

jdenney said:

criznag said:

Can you share a link to the 10 port hub please.

Like Mac said, wait for after the honeymoon period (like 1 or 2 PC restarts, over a couple of days) to evaluate this imho.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers