cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift S not connecting / not detected

reivaxrm
Honored Guest
I've received my new Oculus Rift S two days ago and the only thing that I've got is disappointment.
The setup program does not detect the headset. I plug the USB 3.0 connection and nothing happens. No error or message appears in the Windows device manager. Obviously, the same result if I connect the displayport some seconds later.
Windows updated, USB, graphics card, motherboard drivers updated. Oculus drivers uptaded using oculus-driver app. All to the last version and absolutely no activity when the setup softare is waiting for the headset.
I've reinstalled Windows and the Oculus setup software many times. I've even tried it only connecting the headsed alone and all the other USB 3.0 ports with nothing connected.
All my USB 3.0 ports work perfectly with any other device. I'm afraid that the headset that I've received is dead.
Please, can someone help me? Thank you very much.

47 REPLIES 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
Try unplugging the Rift cable from the headset. You have to take the front cover off to do so.
Then plug it firmly in, it will push in most way then a little resistance, but push a little more and it will fully seat.

lensmandave
Superstar
What Don says...or..try unplugging the display port from the PC, wait a few secs then plug back in. This woke the Rift up for me.
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB - Nvidia RTX 3080 ti - 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

shepherd23
Honored Guest

dburne said:

Try unplugging the Rift cable from the headset. You have to take the front cover off to do so.
Then plug it firmly in, it will push in most way then a little resistance, but push a little more and it will fully seat.

How do you take the front cover off on the rift s?  I can only find how to do it on the rift which appears to be a bit different.  

MaritalArts
Honored Guest
It's pretty simple. The rubber nose piece easily pops out of the little holes in the bridge, then you can pull the tabs on the side out without too much trouble. After that take either corner of the rubber eyepiece (NOT the foam) and pull it straight off, there's six spots it will pop off of all the way around. This exposes the plug which will take a good but of wiggle and tug to get loose and as dburne said will slide back in easily and then resist before fully seating. If the USB is plugged in while you do this you should hear the windows tone of a USB device being plugged in once it's seated.

reivaxrm
Honored Guest
You were right. The cable was not well connected in the headset side. As simple as that. Thanks a lot for your help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

reivaxrm said:

You were right. The cable was not well connected in the headset side. As simple as that. Thanks a lot for your help.

Good deal!

shepherd23
Honored Guest

It's pretty simple. The rubber nose piece easily pops out of the little holes in the bridge, then you can pull the tabs on the side out without too much trouble. After that take either corner of the rubber eyepiece (NOT the foam) and pull it straight off, there's six spots it will pop off of all the way around. This exposes the plug which will take a good but of wiggle and tug to get loose and as dburne said will slide back in easily and then resist before fully seating. If the USB is plugged in while you do this you should hear the windows tone of a USB device being plugged in once it's seated.

Thank you, that was easier than i expected.  It did fix my problem, but only for about 5 minutes then it lost tracking again.

antitrust42
Expert Protege
return this bad product,  i tired with it , i pack and return 
oculus for me is a dumb company
their software cant keep in memory what we have set and each tme i need to repear and update firmware for my headset is recognised

tired, tired, tired to do that, that broke the vr experience
piece of garbage
i hope oculus read that ! 
is a big FAIL

many people return to take the INDEX or REVERB, is the best way to do ! 

Chinwiskers
Honored Guest

return this bad product,  i tired with it , i pack and return 
oculus for me is a dumb company
their software cant keep in memory what we have set and each tme i need to repear and update firmware for my headset is recognised

tired, tired, tired to do that, that broke the vr experience
piece of garbage
i hope oculus read that ! 
is a big FAIL

many people return to take the INDEX or REVERB, is the best way to do ! 

I own the Oculus Rift S .. had none of your problems, so you were just unlucky? Don't come here and spread disinformation thats the very worst thing you can do.. share your experience sure but don't assert it like thats the experience every single person will have with this product..
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?