cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
225 REPLIES 225

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Well, yesterday’s improvement with grip lag after 1.38ptc update did not last long, lol!

It came back today so I am sans controller battery covers once more.  Don’t ask me why this happened because I have no idea.  Rift S software seems pretty fickle right now imho.

Lots more short flashes every 10-30 minutes as well.  At least I’ve yet to have any black or blue screens so far (touch wood).

Man I hope the next update fixes these problems.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, the update did not fix the grab/throw problem with Touch for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I got my replacement Right Touch controller today. Thumb-stick is good (that was what broke on the first one) but I'm still having the throwing issue. I was hoping it was a random problem but it is just as bad on the new controller. However I did notice removing the battery cover like you said fixes it completely.
It's hard to believe no one noticed this, even the airplanes in the first tutorial don't work. Very strange.
Makes me wonder how many controllers have the problem or if it is a flaw in the design (could the magnet interfere?). Could it be all of them? That would be pretty bad. Almost as if Oculus would need to do a recall. A Total Recall. http://southpark.cc.com/clips/n7k5w9/total-recall

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Yeah a total recall Arnold and stick a camera underneath the headset while your at it. How do these fault go unoticed is what I'd like to know.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Earlier today I rolled back from 1.38ptc to 1.37.1 (no grip lag improvement), then did a Repair (very slow download speed right now btw, and no improvement), then updated to 1.38ptc again and the grip lag with covers installed was fixed!  However, this did not last long.  Next time I started up my PC it was back to lagging and taking off the battery covers fixed this again.

Hopefully this, the screen flashing, and tracking issues can be fixed very soon with software/firmware updates.  I'm still quietly confident, lol! 

One positive thing I've noticed with 1.38ptc is that the controllers seem to go into standby (short white flashing) quite a bit quicker and turn off when you shutdown your PC.  So at least my battery life is improving.  Still, it would be good to have some kind of button or keyboard command to manually turn them off imho. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's interesting. Maybe it can be fixed with a patch. That would be ideal if possible.

xwarxlordx
Explorer
I tried the 1.38 update also. I still have the grip lag. It seems to be gone when I first reinstall the Oculus software. And then after a few gaming sessions or restarts it comes back. Its not limited to one game. I have seen in Robo Recall, Batman VR (steam), Contagion VR, Waltz of the Wizard, The Lab, and every other VR game I have. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I have the feeling that Rift-S Rev. A can be found rather cheap on eBay a few months from now, while people cling on to Rev. B like it was their firstborn  B)  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

Makes me wonder how many controllers have the problem or if it is a flaw in the design (could the magnet interfere?). Could it be all of them?

As I said earlier, none of my 4 new touch controllers have this issue. So I guess the max that have it is number of controllers made-4. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
@kojack So you have played Robo Recall (or SUPERHOT) and tried to throw things and it's working? Strange because I have 3 controllers that all have the same problem.