Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

CheesyJokster
Explorer
I thought I was in the clear, but then last night I almost got through the end of the first level in Robo Recall, doing the recall part, and then my hands stop moving in the game. I could only rotate them, no horizontal or vertical movement. I unplugged the cable from the headset and back in which fixed it. I then was redesigning my home space and it never messed up. Granted that has zero action going on. I am going to continue to test further. I do feel it has improved overall after the updates for me personally.

criznag
Honored Guest

jdenney said:

criznag said:

I just bought a powered 10 port USB 3.0 Hub and all my issues are gone!!! Still on old firmware/software!! Before black screen crash 2-5 minutes into Robo Recall!! WOOHOO! So fun!

Can you share a link to the 10 port hub please.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_UxP8CbCH3DGAG

So far so good. Good luck.

criznag
Honored Guest

TomCgcmfc said:

jdenney said:

criznag said:

I just bought a powered 10 port USB 3.0 Hub and all my issues are gone!!! Still on old firmware/software!! Before black screen crash 2-5 minutes into Robo Recall!! WOOHOO! So fun!

Can you share a link to the 10 port hub please.

Like Mac said, wait for after the honeymoon period (like 1 or 2 PC restarts, over a couple of days) to evaluate this imho.

Agreed, I'll keep you all posted, but honestly everything was working fine for me until I got a 2.4 ghz Arctis Pro 7 Headphones that have a USB wireless transmitter - my assumption is that was causing issues as my motherboard couldn't power everything including that transmitter and the rift together. With the 10 port Hub so far no issues, I've played Robo Recall through a few levels, Beat Saber, Virtual Desktop watching a show for 45 minutes, nothing yet, but I'll keep you all posted - I did lose tracking once outside of a game, but that happened before, reboot fixes it. Definitely hard to say for sure I've only had it a few days in general and few hours of play - but I can tell you before the hub, after the headphones, I'd go maybe 2-5 minutes in Robo before black screen and crash.

javelina1
Explorer

criznag said:

Agreed, I'll keep you all posted, but honestly everything was working fine for me until I got a 2.4 ghz Arctis Pro 7 Headphones that have a USB wireless transmitter - my assumption is that was causing issues as my motherboard couldn't power everything including that transmitter and the rift together. With the 10 port Hub so far no issues, I've played Robo Recall through a few levels, Beat Saber, Virtual Desktop watching a show for 45 minutes, nothing yet, but I'll keep you all posted - I did lose tracking once outside of a game, but that happened before, reboot fixes it. Definitely hard to say for sure I've only had it a few days in general and few hours of play - but I can tell you before the hub, after the headphones, I'd go maybe 2-5 minutes in Robo before black screen and crash.

Bully for you man!  cool!  do keep us posted.  I also have a powered USB hub, but have never tried my "S" on it.  I've only used the MB USB 3 (gen 2), USB 3 (gen 1), and USB 3...  all of which give me a periodic white static flash.

edit:  the rationale being that if my USB powered hub is still plugged into a MB port, I figured I'd still have issues...
Gigabyte Z87-HD3, i5-4670K O/C 4.2ghz, NH-U12S cooler, 16GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1080 SC, SoundBlaster Z sound card, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 2x 256GB Samsung SSD, 1TB HDD, Windows 8.1, TM Warthog, MFG Crosswind Rudders, TM MFD's, Enermax Case, 39" Samsung HDTV, 21.5" Acer VT220 touchscreen (for Helios, HawgTouch, Ikarus & MFD extracts), TrackIR5, JetSeat KW-908

Anonymous
Not applicable
Powered hubs simply just send additional power for external Hard Drives which "require" it to function.
RIFT S "requires" USB3.0 even and not the faster 3.1 and they did NOT state "powered".
So, if we do need POWERED HUBS then Oculus must pick up the cost of our experimental buys!
I have limited time left to Return a non-powered USB3.0 Card that was far worse than my m/b USB3.1 which was claimed to fix a User's.
Look guys, I can use my RIFT S perfectly fine in Elite:Dangerous until after 2hours it goes Monochrome! 
If I play PokerstarsVR it can crash in 5mins or last all night but that game has so many disconnects lately and I doubt they are all RIFT S Users.

IF USING ONE, ARE YOU USING A POWER CABLE TO A PCIe CARD?

So do test over several hours - report after a few days please. Then Oculus Support must be doing the exact same and POST this issue and then open a means of Returns for items purchased that don't work!

FeralReaper
Protege
So I returned my headset. Bought a new one. I connected it and boom, it recognized the cables and all was good. uh oh,. firmware update. cool.

Gets done, PLEASE PLUG YOUR HEADSET IN
I never.. unplugged it..
Now it wont read my cables. Firmware update made it worse

FeralReaper
Protege
They haven't responded to my ticket for a week.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I just had my very first black screen with ToyBox, testing out grip lag throwing boomerangs.

Man, between this plus screen flashing, even an Oculus fanboy like me is starting to have regrets about buying a Rift S, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

FeralReaper
Protege
Dude, I'm right there with you

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

I just had my very first black screen with ToyBox, testing out grip lag throwing boomerangs.

Man, between this plus screen flashing, even an Oculus fanboy like me is starting to have regrets about buying a Rift S, lol!

Oh no, not good.