cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift-S Controllers Lag in Grip Release

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

When I close my grip on my Rift-S touch controller (last 3 fingers) and hold it for a second or two, then release, there is quite a bit of lag before they open again.  The right controller seems worse than the left.  My old Rift cv1 did not have any lag.  The problem is when you are in a game and try to grip something, then throw it, the lag causes it to either stick to your hand or weakly go offline.  Hopefully this is just another tracking issue that will soon be fixed with an update.  Tracking lag and screen flashing are my only complaints with my Rift-S so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers
225 REPLIES 225

xwarxlordx
Explorer
Yep can't throw. By the time the grip button releases what ever I'm holding just falls to the ground. No forward momentum. Sometimes it takes about 2 seconds to release. All other buttons, trigger work fine.

kojack
MVP
MVP

@kojack So you have played Robo Recall (or SUPERHOT) and tried to throw things and it's working? Strange because I have 3 controllers that all have the same problem.

Page 1 of the thread. 🙂
Superhot and Roborecall have zero noticeable lag on any control.

Plus (plugging it again, since it was dismissed last time) my own Oculus Monitor program which shows all Touch controller values (using the same method that games use).

I'm just hoping that any fix Oculus rolls out doesn't break my already working fine controllers. That's not paranoia, they did it to old Touch (mine worked fine, great battery life and never turned off while in use. Then they patched the firmware to stop turning off while in use for some people, which made mine never turn off and now I get maybe 2-3 weeks of battery life instead of months).

Does anybody know how to check the manufacture date of the Rift-S? The Quest is easy, it's on the box. It seems most Quest issues are on the March models, while my April model is fine (I guess the benefit of getting slow shipments to australia, I get a later manufacture date). Perhaps the same here with the Rift-S.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Alright. So any theory to why removing the battery cover fixes the problem?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Well, using Oculus Monitor (and I don't even charge for it!) I'm pretty sure I know exactly what is going on.

The grip trigger is most likely a hall effect sensor (uses magnetic fields to detect distances of a control like a trigger or joystick). The proximity of the battery cover magnet affects the values being read out.
I wedged the grip trigger part way in (so it had a mostly stable partial value of about 0.7). I removed the battery cover, it dropped to 0.4. Cover back on, back up to 0.7. I did this multiple times, consistent jumps (considering I was holding it with blutack that was slowly stretching).
So the battery cover's magnet is directly shifting the values being read from the grip trigger.
Without the cover, the values are lower, making it think the trigger is released more.

As to why some have a problem and some don't (I think we'd see a LOT more complains about this if every touch controller couldn't play superhot):
- orientation or variation in the magnet in the cover may be causing different levels of effect.
- it may be similar to the rift IMU calibration problem, where some thought gravity was slightly off. They needed recalibrating. Same here, maybe a recalibration of the hall sensor's value range is needed in the firmware.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's great news. If the numbers are repeatable then it should be possible to calibrate in software or firmware. I have to assume Oculus is aware, as this is a pretty major issue in my opinion. Probably more so than even the 2 handed gun issue, since a whole lot of games use grabbing/throwing mechanics. And you're right. If it was everyone then there would be more hullabaloo for sure.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Well I hope this get fixed soon because I'm just about ready to take my good old Rift CV-1 and it's 2x sensors out of its box and reinstall it, lol!  The slightly improved clarity of the Rift S screen is starting to become less important to me right now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

xwarxlordx
Explorer
So I used Oculus Monitor, watched it in-game with virtual desktop while the grip lag was occurring. Ranging from 0 to 1. Zero while not holding the grip button, 1 when fully pressed. When released it hangs on .5 to .8 for a second then returns to 0. The trigger button does not hang it returns smoothly from 1 to 0. Something I did notice was that if you don't fully press the grip button, say to .7 or .8 it returns to 0 smoother with less hanging. 

Kojack  I really like the program.   

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Good find guys, thanks for all that.  I hate to say it but I've put my Rift S back in it's little box and setup my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  Also opted out of the PTC and rolled back to 1.37.1.  Now all's well again!

I will take the Rift S out of its box once Oculus fixes things properly.  I've wasted too much time over the past week troubleshooting the S.  Enough is enough already.

TurtleTales
Explorer
I exchanged my Rift S for a new unit and it has the same issue, plus the index finger triggers are doing the same now too. Removing the battery covers barely makes a difference.
I'm located in the southeastern United States, in case we want to see if the issue is tied to a certain batch of units.

xwarxlordx
Explorer
I returned my Rift S to Best Buy today. Not willing to pay $400 to be a beta tester. The only reason I went with Oculus over Vive was the controllers. And they have been noting but trouble. Looks like I might just wait on the Valve Index.