cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S screen becomes grainy/snowy for a fraction of a second every once in a while for no reason

euliver
Honored Guest
I already updated all possibly related drivers (Windows 10, Oculus and Nvidia) and checked the cable connections on both ends, it doesn't seem to be a connectivity problem as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to be related to moving the cable or not at all. The screen just randomly turns grainy/snowy (like a grainy TV screen used to I guess) for a fraction of a second for no reason while playing games, but immediately returns to normal. It just flashes. Doesn't matter which game or software I try either. I'm worried it might be a hardware problem, but that seems unlikely too, wouldn't the Rift S just shut off completely if it just lost connection? Not sure. Anyway, it isn't all that bothersome and happens rarely and randomly, but I'd certainly prefer it if this wouldn't happen anymore, and not just because I fear it might become worse. I hope it's a software problem and that I can find out what causes it soon, so that I won't have to return the unit.

142 REPLIES 142

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ran both the Software / Firmware-update yesterday - didn't change a thing... (apologies for the double-post)

profanicus
Honored Guest
Should I be putting a ticket in for this? Or just wait?

DeliriumBlades
Protege

Should I be putting a ticket in for this? Or just wait?

please..always submit a ticket

Anfronie
Protege

Ran both the Software / Firmware-update yesterday - didn't change a thing... (apologies for the double-post)

They already stated in another post that this current firmware they are about to release will not fix the static flashes. It's probably on their short list of things to do but they better hurry.

Yobiwan29
Adventurer

Simbel said:

Yobiwan29 said:

Flashes still occur at the same frequency with 1.38. Audio quality is better by the way...

as 1.37.?

Yes 😐
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have the same problem.

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
Is there someone here with an RTX card ? How is it performing on a virtual link port ?
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yobiwan29 said:

Is there someone here with an RTX card ? How is it performing on a virtual link port ?

I have the RTX 2080ti FE. I've used it with an amazon basics USB C to A 3.1 adapter. It works exactly like my other USB ports, with no trouble at all except for the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes. 

Yobiwan29
Adventurer

RG4520 said:

Yobiwan29 said:

I have the RTX 2080ti FE. I've used it with an amazon basics USB C to A 3.1 adapter. It works exactly like my other USB ports, with no trouble at all except for the flashing static every 5 to 20 minutes. 

Thanks 🙂
It seems to be a driver/firmware issue. I ordered an other device to see if those flashing frames occur again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks 🙂 
It seems to be a driver/firmware issue. I ordered an other device to see if those flashing frames occur again.

I can tell you that I've now swapped mine out 3 times at Best Buy due to various issues (dead pixel, broken controller, etc.) and it flickers exactly same on all of them.

I'm on my 4th headset now and it behaves exactly the same as the first. It's gotta be firmware/software. If not, they have a major problem on their hands.