Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• criznagcriznag Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    jdenney said:
    criznag said:
    I just bought a powered 10 port USB 3.0 Hub and all my issues are gone!!! Still on old firmware/software!! Before black screen crash 2-5 minutes into Robo Recall!! WOOHOO! So fun!
    Can you share a link to the 10 port hub please.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NGQWL2/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_UxP8CbCH3DGAG

So far so good. Good luck.
  • criznagcriznag Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    jdenney said:
    criznag said:
    I just bought a powered 10 port USB 3.0 Hub and all my issues are gone!!! Still on old firmware/software!! Before black screen crash 2-5 minutes into Robo Recall!! WOOHOO! So fun!
    Can you share a link to the 10 port hub please.
    Like Mac said, wait for after the honeymoon period (like 1 or 2 PC restarts, over a couple of days) to evaluate this imho.

Agreed, I'll keep you all posted, but honestly everything was working fine for me until I got a 2.4 ghz Arctis Pro 7 Headphones that have a USB wireless transmitter - my assumption is that was causing issues as my motherboard couldn't power everything including that transmitter and the rift together. With the 10 port Hub so far no issues, I've played Robo Recall through a few levels, Beat Saber, Virtual Desktop watching a show for 45 minutes, nothing yet, but I'll keep you all posted - I did lose tracking once outside of a game, but that happened before, reboot fixes it. Definitely hard to say for sure I've only had it a few days in general and few hours of play - but I can tell you before the hub, after the headphones, I'd go maybe 2-5 minutes in Robo before black screen and crash.
  • javelina1javelina1 Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited June 1
    criznag said:

Agreed, I'll keep you all posted, but honestly everything was working fine for me until I got a 2.4 ghz Arctis Pro 7 Headphones that have a USB wireless transmitter - my assumption is that was causing issues as my motherboard couldn't power everything including that transmitter and the rift together. With the 10 port Hub so far no issues, I've played Robo Recall through a few levels, Beat Saber, Virtual Desktop watching a show for 45 minutes, nothing yet, but I'll keep you all posted - I did lose tracking once outside of a game, but that happened before, reboot fixes it. Definitely hard to say for sure I've only had it a few days in general and few hours of play - but I can tell you before the hub, after the headphones, I'd go maybe 2-5 minutes in Robo before black screen and crash.
    Bully for you man!  cool!  do keep us posted.  I also have a powered USB hub, but have never tried my "S" on it.  I've only used the MB USB 3 (gen 2), USB 3 (gen 1), and USB 3...  all of which give me a periodic white static flash.

edit:  the rationale being that if my USB powered hub is still plugged into a MB port, I figured I'd still have issues...
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 1
    Powered hubs simply just send additional power for external Hard Drives which "require" it to function.
    RIFT S "requires" USB3.0 even and not the faster 3.1 and they did NOT state "powered".
    So, if we do need POWERED HUBS then Oculus must pick up the cost of our experimental buys!
    I have limited time left to Return a non-powered USB3.0 Card that was far worse than my m/b USB3.1 which was claimed to fix a User's.
    Look guys, I can use my RIFT S perfectly fine in Elite:Dangerous until after 2hours it goes Monochrome! 
    If I play PokerstarsVR it can crash in 5mins or last all night but that game has so many disconnects lately and I doubt they are all RIFT S Users.

IF USING ONE, ARE YOU USING A POWER CABLE TO A PCIe CARD?

So do test over several hours - report after a few days please. Then Oculus Support must be doing the exact same and POST this issue and then open a means of Returns for items purchased that don't work!
  • FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    So I returned my headset. Bought a new one. I connected it and boom, it recognized the cables and all was good. uh oh,. firmware update. cool.

Gets done, PLEASE PLUG YOUR HEADSET IN
    I never.. unplugged it..
    Now it wont read my cables. Firmware update made it worse
    Brain Burst
    They haven't responded to my ticket for a week.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,154
    Wintermute
    I just had my very first black screen with ToyBox, testing out grip lag throwing boomerangs.

Man, between this plus screen flashing, even an Oculus fanboy like me is starting to have regrets about buying a Rift S, lol!

Alienware 17r4 laptop, 7700hq 2.8/3.6 ghz, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, 1tb hd, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, Oculus Rift VR, Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier w/gtx1080ti and Asus VG248QE external monitor. 

Now moved onto a custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled), gtx 1080 ti (from my AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card.

Brain Burst
    Dude, I'm right there with you

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,519 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I just had my very first black screen with ToyBox, testing out grip lag throwing boomerangs.

Man, between this plus screen flashing, even an Oculus fanboy like me is starting to have regrets about buying a Rift S, lol!
    Oh no, not good.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • SkoziosSkozios Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    While this is all happening (mostly erratically I think in general) we are all investing in games and thus sending back the device will leave us out of pocket.  I like the Oculus Store and generally use it for my games, so I am kinda stuck in the eco system for now with a device that is currently less than perfect for the two main reasons being discussed.  If I wasn't invested and didn't have any hope, it would have gone back now to Amazon.
    Wintermute
    Honestly if I had bought it from Amazon instead of the Oculus store I would be returning it for a refund and just reinstalling my cv1.

Alienware 17r4 laptop, 7700hq 2.8/3.6 ghz, 32gb ram, 250gb ssd, 1tb hd, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, Oculus Rift VR, Now with Alienware Graphics Amplifier w/gtx1080ti and Asus VG248QE external monitor. 

Now moved onto a custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled), gtx 1080 ti (from my AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card.

• dburnedburne Posts: 2,519 Valuable Player
    I kept dealing with the black screen issue that would keep popping up on me in hopes maybe a firmware update would fix the thing. It started happening to me the day I got it - the 21st.
    Then it finally just died on me yesterday.
    Thankfully I did get mine from Amazon, so it is going back there for replacement. I will give it one more shot.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • MisterMisdemeanorMisterMisdemeanor Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I keep getting this super annoying bug that renders my rift s completely useless. Every time I put on the headset, the oculus app crashes and restarts, repeating the same thing over and over. I have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to fix it. everything is up to date, antivirus off, ive repaired and reinstalled countless times, both the oculus software and my drivers. I installed the firmware update and still no fix. I cant even download the firmware update because when it finishes and resets, and I try and put the headset on and it crashes, when I take it off and oculus resets and actually stays open it prompts me to update again. this happens every time. Anyone know whats going on? I tried to contact support but that was a little while ago and I still haven't gotten a response.

• xXxMrN1ceguyxXxxXxMrN1ceguyxXx Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    So is there a fix for it showing that your headset is not plugged in after the firmware update? or do I wish there was one lol
    Brain Burst
    SO here's my path and the reason I'm getting a refund. 

I run "fix software" it rips 7gb of data from my internet.

I run it, works like a charm. Then I reboot, error comes up that the oculus software can't open. I repair it again. It works but the tracking doesn't. Then it forces an update to the firmware again and now it can't see my cables.

Rift s is complete shit and they don't seem to be fixing it. I would get your refund guys.
    Wintermute
    I don't have any regrets. My CV1 is boxed up and will not be plugged in again. Maybe I'll open the box one day to show my kids (if I ever have kids) but no sooner. Rift S is amazing when it works, we just have to be patient. Personally experienced the black screens, white flashes, grip not working, and the analog stick physically broke on one Touch. Even all that said it is still worth it.
    Well, I'm very close to unboxing my good old Rift CV-1 plus 2x sensors.  The slightly improved screen clarity of my Rift S is starting to be less important to me right now.  I have submitted a ticket with log files today btw.

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,245 Volunteer Moderator
    Sent mine back and reverb ordered. The CV1 is coming out of premature retirement lol I'll use the CV1 and Reverb side by side.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,089
    Wintermute
    My Rift (without the S) is working fine.
    I'm just wondering how long it will take for the Rift S software "fixes" to stuff up my Rift. I really wish they had separated the "updates" for the 2 different models.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Wintermute
    edited June 1
    Also, seems like people have short memories. There were all sorts of threads and comments like today when Rift CV1 launched, when Touch launched, after particular updates, etc. And in time everything was resolved.
    Ya, I've only had my Rift CV1 for just over a year now so I guess I missed a lot of that, lol!

Wintermute
    edited June 1
    Tested Deselect USB HUB Power by PC in Devices and had a crash in PokerstarsVR (unsure if crashes are only RIFT S). Due to the deselection of above 2 HUBs it could not power the headset back up even after several Beta>Restarts and even REBOOTS!
    Even once Selected again I had to reconnect only USB cable then go through the Setup Rift Procedure for setting up Guardian.
    If you think your RIFT S "died" just undo any changes to USB Power you made, REBOOT, go through Guardian SETUP.
    Wintermute
    edited June 1
    I confirm the crashes in PokerstarsVR are for other headsets and are just connection issues. Reconnecting USB cable can fix it and keep you in the game!

The test for RIFT S fidelity is 2hours of EliteD.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,089
    Wintermute
     And in time everything was resolved.

Nope.

It's now 3 years since the launch of a consumer version. Constant updates and unwanted fluff have been almost monthly.
    We still don't have a software release for Rift that has fixed all the problems.
    Only today, I had no hands in "Dash" but they were there in "Home". I don't need hands in Home, but with Dash I use them to "touch", "grab" and "drag" things.
    My Touch Controllers still chew batteries when I'm not using them.
    My "Home" which I don't need, takes forever to load.
    Stuttering is an occasional problem.
    I have to disable the mic every time I use the Rift. (why can't it be stored in settings?)
    The library still can't be organised by the user with categories, for example.
    I'm sure others have issues that aren't "fixed" too.

That said, I've never had to uninstall/reinstall or repair. I have the same install since July 2017. I'm happy with the experience so far. I just wish they would test the software before release, or at least fix the issues raised by the Beta Testers before releasing the next update.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    need to repear again and again and update firmware again and again 
    piece of garbage, i tired with this rift s and their stupid no memory keep software 

i pack and return this product

oculus is dumb
    Wintermute
    edited June 1
    OK PokerstarsVR reveals that it is both Oculus RIFT & RIFT S crashing if using onboard Audio. If you use another Audio Source it does not crash e.g. Speakers or Bluetooth Headset. I'm not sure yet if earbuds into the RIFT S also crash but I think they will. As Oculus have already admitted a problem with Audio in 1.37 and said to have "solved" this in 1.38 PTC, it is still said to have issues to some RIFT S users but not all.
    It sure is connected to them having a daft LIMITER on the RIFT S. It is either it was added to help prevent vibration to components (as was reported on Oculus GO/Quest) OR it is not supposed to be Limiting from 50% upwards and is taking up processing resources in preventing clipping that actually is not there by having it.

So, if still issues with PTC and losing connections in PokerstarsVR, then avoid using the onboard audio. This could be a slow build up for crashes in other games too!
    Wintermute
    Richooal said:
    My Rift (without the S) is working fine.
    I'm just wondering how long it will take for the Rift S software "fixes" to stuff up my Rift. I really wish they had separated the "updates" for the 2 different models.
    Ya, I'm kinda worried about this as well.  A couple of hours ago I opted out of PTC and rolled back to 1.37.1.  I then disconnected my Rift S and setup my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  I then needed to redo the cv1 setup and now all works great again.  I definitely notice the lower resolution of the Rift S but with a little super sampling I can get close.  I'm def not missing sticky gab and release lag and hands going all over the place if you take them too close to your chin.  Tracking and games feel more stable now.

I've wasted a lot of time over the past week troubleshooting my Rift S.  Now my Rift S will stay in it's box until Oculus sorts this out properly.  In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy my good old Rift cv1.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,980 Valuable Player
    edited June 2
    Also, seems like people have short memories. There were all sorts of threads and comments like today when Rift CV1 launched, when Touch launched, after particular updates, etc. And in time everything was resolved.
    Quite true. Hence why I always tell people TO WAIT when there is new HMD releases. 

Experience. Gotta love it. 
  • Sang0rSang0r Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Ya, I'm kinda worried about this as well.  A couple of hours ago I opted out of PTC and rolled back to 1.37.1.  I then disconnected my Rift S and setup my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  I then needed to redo the cv1 setup and now all works great again.  I definitely notice the lower resolution of the Rift S but with a little super sampling I can get close.  I'm def not missing sticky gab and release lag and hands going all over the place if you take them too close to your chin.  Tracking and games feel more stable now.

I've wasted a lot of time over the past week troubleshooting my Rift S.  Now my Rift S will stay in it's box until Oculus sorts this out properly.  In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy my good old Rift cv1.
    Hey at least you have the cv1 to go back to Tom. I sold my vive a month or so ago and believe me HTC are by far the worst company I have ever had to deal with when it comes to customer service. I have no idea who would champion the middle ground of pcvr if the rift s did fail, because as good as the index could be, it is not going to expand the user base with a price tag of $1000. If I do end up getting a refund I will just wait and see what happens in the next year or so, fingers crossed oculus can get things sorted sooner rather than later.