Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Richooal
Consultant
My Rift (without the S) is working fine.
I'm just wondering how long it will take for the Rift S software "fixes" to stuff up my Rift. I really wish they had separated the "updates" for the 2 different models.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Also, seems like people have short memories. There were all sorts of threads and comments like today when Rift CV1 launched, when Touch launched, after particular updates, etc. And in time everything was resolved.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Also, seems like people have short memories. There were all sorts of threads and comments like today when Rift CV1 launched, when Touch launched, after particular updates, etc. And in time everything was resolved.

Ya, I've only had my Rift CV1 for just over a year now so I guess I missed a lot of that, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Tested Deselect USB HUB Power by PC in Devices and had a crash in PokerstarsVR (unsure if crashes are only RIFT S). Due to the deselection of above 2 HUBs it could not power the headset back up even after several Beta>Restarts and even REBOOTS!
Even once Selected again I had to reconnect only USB cable then go through the Setup Rift Procedure for setting up Guardian.
If you think your RIFT S "died" just undo any changes to USB Power you made, REBOOT, go through Guardian SETUP.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I confirm the crashes in PokerstarsVR are for other headsets and are just connection issues. Reconnecting USB cable can fix it and keep you in the game!

The test for RIFT S fidelity is 2hours of EliteD.

Richooal
Consultant

And in time everything was resolved.

Nope.

It's now 3 years since the launch of a consumer version. Constant updates and unwanted fluff have been almost monthly.
We still don't have a software release for Rift that has fixed all the problems.
Only today, I had no hands in "Dash" but they were there in "Home". I don't need hands in Home, but with Dash I use them to "touch", "grab" and "drag" things.
My Touch Controllers still chew batteries when I'm not using them.
My "Home" which I don't need, takes forever to load.
Stuttering is an occasional problem.
I have to disable the mic every time I use the Rift. (why can't it be stored in settings?)
The library still can't be organised by the user with categories, for example.
I'm sure others have issues that aren't "fixed" too.

That said, I've never had to uninstall/reinstall or repair. I have the same install since July 2017. I'm happy with the experience so far. I just wish they would test the software before release, or at least fix the issues raised by the Beta Testers before releasing the next update.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

antitrust42
Expert Protege
need to repear again and again and update firmware again and again 
piece of garbage, i tired with this rift s and their stupid no memory keep software 

i pack and return this product

oculus is dumb

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK PokerstarsVR reveals that it is both Oculus RIFT & RIFT S crashing if using onboard Audio. If you use another Audio Source it does not crash e.g. Speakers or Bluetooth Headset. I'm not sure yet if earbuds into the RIFT S also crash but I think they will. As Oculus have already admitted a problem with Audio in 1.37 and said to have "solved" this in 1.38 PTC, it is still said to have issues to some RIFT S users but not all.
It sure is connected to them having a daft LIMITER on the RIFT S. It is either it was added to help prevent vibration to components (as was reported on Oculus GO/Quest) OR it is not supposed to be Limiting from 50% upwards and is taking up processing resources in preventing clipping that actually is not there by having it.

So, if still issues with PTC and losing connections in PokerstarsVR, then avoid using the onboard audio. This could be a slow build up for crashes in other games too!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Richooal said:

My Rift (without the S) is working fine.
I'm just wondering how long it will take for the Rift S software "fixes" to stuff up my Rift. I really wish they had separated the "updates" for the 2 different models.

Ya, I'm kinda worried about this as well.  A couple of hours ago I opted out of PTC and rolled back to 1.37.1.  I then disconnected my Rift S and setup my good old Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.  I then needed to redo the cv1 setup and now all works great again.  I definitely notice the lower resolution of the Rift S but with a little super sampling I can get close.  I'm def not missing sticky gab and release lag and hands going all over the place if you take them too close to your chin.  Tracking and games feel more stable now.

I've wasted a lot of time over the past week troubleshooting my Rift S.  Now my Rift S will stay in it's box until Oculus sorts this out properly.  In the meantime I'm just going to enjoy my good old Rift cv1.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Digikid1
Consultant

Quite true. Hence why I always tell people TO WAIT when there is new HMD releases. 

Experience. Gotta love it.