Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

SinsOfProphet
Honored Guest
Kind of weird, because mine was doing the hand tracking loss thing yesterday, which led me to this forum. But today it's been working perfectly fine. I'm led to believe it's certain games that makes it stop working properly. because now the only game that doesn't work with hand motions is "Subnautica". The other games I've played (Minecraft, VRChat, and Duck Season) show no problem.

antitrust42
Expert Protege
Duck Season is bad for the tracking, i tried to play but the gun go in all direction when i try to aim near the headset 
( i know is an known issue, but is bad to play, i missed a lot of duck ) 
the only thing i can is put my arm forward and try to shoot them but is really hard ! 

cybershrapnel
Protege
well, since I found the cause of the issue, I will make one last post.   when and if you experience the jitter/jutter/shadows effect I speak of. Open the oculus debug tool in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
and change the asynchronous spacewarp to ASW Disabled!!!! Clearly what is going on here is a frame rate desync/mismatch!   The rift is 90 hertz hence why it has the 45fps setting there for async, but the rift s is 80 hertz and thus should be using a 40fps setting!!!!  This is a huge oversight by the rift s team and a result of skimping on our hardware and going 80 hertz!   After adjusting this setting I have had no further issues other than still needing this USB hub!  I am very on the fence about keeping this product or not. It is nice but it is not nice at the same time lol.... But now that I know what is causing it the effect I was seeing actually makes sense too...

pnmj1ylkithy.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Except RIFT S = 80Hz and OTT is not Official nor programmed to consider the RIFT S. You really should not need that outdated tool since many Games use their very own method of SS etc. Some versions of it even crash and cause issues. The differing SS numbers are not all the same results same as SteamVR 200% = 1.4SS in Oculus. Remember too that the increase in RIFT S resolution pixels will mean it does not require the amount of SS the old RIFT needed and your GPU would seriously struggle and so cause JITTER!

cybershrapnel
Protege
well, whatever it is is wrong, and this fixes it.... I have an rtx 2070 gfx card btw... Should be fine..

Sulenor
Explorer
Another message to add for that issue. 😕

Glirp
Honored Guest
I didn't have the problem the first day or so, and then I got the same issue where I'd lose tracking (and pass through view, basically I was losing the cameras) every 5 mins or so. After trying everything else (power management settings, beta build etc.), I thought of exiting Corsair Utility Engine that was running in the background and it seems to have fixed it. (the first day I was running on a fresh windows reinstall and I hadn't installed CUE yet)

CUE is a huge piece of shit and it's not the first time I've had issues with it preventing USB devices from other vendors from working properly.

CountryManTheTi
Explorer
Hey guys. I’ve got the exact same problems. I got my rift S on the 29th and I have tried EVERYTHING. Every solution on every form. It’s quite frustrating. I thought I fixed it yesterday when I reseated the cable and got one decent 45 minute experience out of it, but after I came back 2 hours later. Only 30 seconds of play before I lost tracking.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Oculus?!

Knutsi
Protege

Hey guys. I’ve got the exact same problems. I got my rift S on the 29th and I have tried EVERYTHING. Every solution on every form. It’s quite frustrating. I thought I fixed it yesterday when I reseated the cable and got one decent 45 minute experience out of it, but after I came back 2 hours later. Only 30 seconds of play before I lost tracking.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Oculus?!

I got mine on the 22nd and waiting even for the labels to return the thing. Makes you feel really helpless, doesn't it?  

Knutsi
Protege
I have to say I really thought at the point where they eventually looked at my ticket and decided to replace the headset, that was it. Solution. New headset. Boom. But just getting labels for the return box is now 2-5 business days. If you chain a 8 days wait for a decision on the ticket, with a soon 5 day wait just to be able to return it after, and then maybe 10 days for the replacement (maybe more, seeing how everything takes a long time)... Yeah, I don't know what to say any more. I'll be sure to write up this story after it's done - especially if there is no redeeming quality in the handling hereafter.

Edit: maybe I have unrealistic expectations on online retail, I dunno. Maybe this is the cost of not going to the store to get it for just a little more.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?