cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S - Please read before you buy - Tracking problems with realistic FPS sims & Archery

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
EDIT: NEW UPDATE PLEASE READ - Read this first before continuing - Oculus has now released a new beta update called 1.39 which fixes many of these issues - I have eddied my main post of this thread so newcomers to Rift S can read this good news on how to fix their issues before continuing...You have to go into your Oculus software, click settings, click the Beta TAB at the top, click the button next to "Public Test Channel" which will automatically download Oculus software 1.39 and restart Oculus. Once you have installed this software update you will see that tracking has been massively improved for FPS games when holding two handed rifles and aiming down scopes. I have tested this on Onward today and played for over 3 hours and now the game is very playable. Before this update I couldn't play any FPS with two handed weapons, now they all seem to work fine!! Well done Oculus devs and thanks for the software update!  🙂

Original post below:
Hey everyone, I got my Rift S on launch day and was initially really impressed. But since then I have tried a wider verity of games and have since discovered a glaring issue with Rift S which is the tracking.

Before Rift S launched I was worried about the sound, that was my only concern, and yeah the sound isn't great but when I used my own headphones that solved the problem so when I was playing Robo Recall, Beat Saber, and Audica etc it all looked and performed fantastic and I soon forgot about the sound as I was enjoying the games so much.

But last night I bought Contractors on Steam which appears to be a great multiplayer FPS with great graphics but unfortunately is completely unplayable on RIft S! There's simply no other way to say it.

FPS games like Onward, Contractors, Pavlov and Archery games like In Death/Sacralith just aren't going to work with Rift S. You can't aim down the sites, soon as you hold your right hand up to your face in the normal position to look down the sites of a rifle or to look down an arrow the tracking freezes in place and stops working and makes it impossible to aim.

So after playing with Rift CV1 for the past 2.5 years this is completely dreadful. And btw the first year or so with CV1 I only had 2 front sensors which worked perfectly, the only reason I bought a 3rd sensor in the 2nd year was for pavlov so I could pick up weapons from the floor, so since then I used 3 camera setup in my dinning room and the Rift tracking was 100% perfect and never lost tracking for me.

If your planning on only playing Arcade games like Robo Recall, Superhot, Beat Saber and Audica, you will be fine, go ahead and buy Rift S and enjoy the amazing clarity of the optics and increased resolution.

But if you want to play FPS games or Archery games, your basically buying a product that does not work, your wasting your money and would be better buying a 2nd hand Rift CV1 off ebay/amazon.

Of course we heard in the past that Oculus could enable the old CV1 room sensors through software, I desperately hope they do this, otherwise for people like me that enjoy FPS/Archery games as well as the usual Arcade games, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, because I like Rift S, but what am I suppose to do? Use Rift CV1 for half my games library??

I'm quite shocked and hugely disappointed by this, I think maybe what other people were saying about Lenovo was right, I don't think Oculus/Facebook should have partnered with them because if this is the outcome then, well, no thanks.

I feel sorry for everyone who has pre-ordered expecting to play Onward/Contractors/Pavlov/In Death/
Sacralith etc and expecting this to be good. I think we need to all sign a petition to Oculus to enable the old CV1 room sensors for proper tracking otherwise they will have a lot of refunds going in and also this is very bad for people new to VR. In fact I'd go as far as to say that all FPS and Archery games should be taken off Oculus store for Rift S owners until this is resolved because otherwise what's the point? Everyone buying those games will have to refund I suppose.

Sorry for the rant guys, but I felt compelled to inform the community of this. People need to know how bad this tracking really is.

And also before Rift S was released people were saying the future is inside/out tracking. Well I'm sorry guys, but you couldn't of been more wrong. Inside/out tracking only works for Arcade games, sim racing games, elite dangerous and maybe Quest if Quest mainly uses Arcade games too? I'll leave that part for Quest users to comment on.

I own Rift CV 1, Oculus GO and now Rift S, was planning on buying Quest too but I'll hold off on that for a while until I read more reviews. 
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
356 REPLIES 356

vannagirl
Consultant
@RedRizla

w6wci19wha2m.jpeg
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Well I'm getting a HP Reverb, Valve index and a new Graphics cards. It's only costing me £2600 for the lot 😄

I bought RTX 2080 a few weeks back and I bought Rift S but now I'm probably going to refund Rift S and just get Valve Index instead. 

I love my RTX 2080 btw, I can run all games on ultra settings like Rage 2, Metro Exodus, Battlefront 2, Anthem etc and still get 110-130fps. And it runs all my VR games great too. I have an old i5 4690k as well so if you have a better CPU then me then you'll get even higher fps.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

vannagirl said:

@SkScotchegg

Darn that sucks, I almost impulse bought this after everyone gushing over the visuals,

no real cheaper alternatives but will probably just impulse buy the reverb now and keep for seated

Yeah it's a real shame, if they'd not messed about with the tracking and stuck with Constellation it would of been 10/10 perfection.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm just curious to know. What happens if you have a Rift CV1 and it develops a fault under warranty? Will they send you another Rift CV1 or a Rift S? I would also like to know when they are going to stop supporting Rift CV1?

@SkScotchegg - Do you reckon you could could ask Carmack when external sensors will stop being supported? Or how do you contact him and I'll ask him myself.

morsify
Protege
I just want to say thanks to @skscotchegg for highlighting this issue - I was sorely tempted to buy a Rift S for the slight improvement in resolution, but I will certainly not be buying one in the near future unless this problem is completely resolved. I am more than happy with my CV1 for now, but I am concerned that the future of VR, for me at least, looks bleak, if Oculus can't get their act together. 
I won't settle for game developers cobbling together workaround fixes. I want tracking in FPS games to work properly, or no purchase. And I can't afford the current Valve Index prices. 

Responses by Oculus are conspicuous by their absence, which is also a bit worrying.

I'm not posting to start an argument, but I just wanted to add my concern as an Oculus customer.
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7 9770K, 16GB DDR4, EVGA RTX2070XC 8GB Ultra Gaming, AOC 32" monitor, 2 x Inatek PCI USB controllers, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 64 Home

Wildt
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Couldn't CV1 touch controllers work with Rift S and external sensors?

Yeah they could - that's the point I was trying to make with my post 😉
But putting money into developing this hybrid system to make CV1 enthusiasts happy, while making Oculus look like they admit a mistake, most likely isn't gonna happen.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Wildt
Consultant

RedRizla said:

Well I'm getting a HP Reverb, Valve index and a new Graphics cards. It's only costing me £2600 for the lot 😄

I've ordered a Reverb as well, and will have a couple of months to decide whether or not to cancel my Index order :smile:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

xSTONEMANx
Expert Protege

RedRizla said:

I bought RTX 2080 a few weeks back and I bought Rift S but now I'm probably going to refund Rift S and just get Valve Index instead. 

I love my RTX 2080 btw, I can run all games on ultra settings like Rage 2, Metro Exodus, Battlefront 2, Anthem etc and still get 110-130fps. And it runs all my VR games great too. I have an old i5 4690k as well so if you have a better CPU then me then you'll get even higher fps.

I just replaced a gtx1070 with a Asus strix oc RTX 2080 paired with a i7 4790k it made a huge difference.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Just out of curiosity guys, I've noticed some of you have said your planning on getting HP Reverb but won't the Reverb have the exact same tracking problems as Rift S, and also perhaps even worse?

As Rift S has 5 cameras and Reverb has 2 cameras? So if 5 cameras on Rift S don't perform well, what makes you guys think that Reverb will be better?

I don't mean to put a downer on your plans, but it just had me curious that so many people seem to be planning to skip Rift S due to tracking and go to Reverb?

If it's just for the screen quality then the Reverb is meant to have an amazing screen, but I think Rift S has a fantastic screen also so I'd probably stick with Rift S if your going to just use it for sitting games or racing sims etc, plus it's cheaper.

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

I'm just curious to know. What happens if you have a Rift CV1 and develops a fault under warranty? Will they send you another Rift CV1 or a Rift S? I would also like to know when they are going to stop supporting Rift CV1?

@SkScotchegg - Do you reckon you could could ask Carmack when external sensors will stop being supported? Or how do you contact him and I'll ask him myself.

Hey mate, I just tweeted him on twitter, I've never really used Twitter before but I had an account I've never used so I logged in and just sent him a message, it's quite easy to use actually.

Yeah no worries, i'll message him and ask him for you.

EDIT: I've just tweeted him, so I'll posted back tomorrow his reply, if he does reply to me again.