cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest pairs with phone, but the app will not connect to my Wi Fi

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer
I bought an Oculus Quest the other day, but i can't get the Oculus App on my phone to connect to my Wi Fi, i'm posting this here just in case someone knows what the issue is or if someone has very good knowledge with wireless routers because i think that is the issue rather than the app itself. My phone is a galaxy s6 and is running Android 7.0.

The headset pairs up fine with the phone, but when the app tries to connect to Wi Fi, it just doesn't do it. It keeps coming back with errors saying,

Something went wrong
Headset Not connected
Asks me to re enter the Wi Fi password.

Below is a few settings that i've experimented with in my wireless router.

tried changing the channels of my BT Hub 5 numerous times.

Changed my Wi Fi password to something more simple.

Turned off my routers firewall momentarily to see if that was affecting it.

Turned off my routers smart set up.

Split my 5ghz from my 2.4ghz connection and tested the above on the new 5ghz connection.

Is there anything at all that i can try? Because i really don't know what else i can test.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
68 REPLIES 68

ojuujo
Explorer
What I figured: When connecting to Hotspot on the iPhone the iPhone will show if a connection is established. 
Even though the Oculus App says that it doesn't work (something went wrong / headset disconnected), the hotspot connection will stay. If I switch the hotspot off and on it will soon afterwards again have a connection. So somehow the Oculus Quest does connect, but it cannot download etc.

What is it saying on your Quest when you are actually looking through it? Mine shows ""Updating your headset - You will be notified on your phone when your headset is ready - Downloading"" - but it's not downloading anything, I can check the used MB on my iPhone and those doesn't change at all. 
The App continues to say "Something went wrong - Headset Not connected "

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

Its totally possible the new batch of headsets we received having this issue... some kind of bug may be.. I have tried all the possible things. setting up using different phone, different wifi, modifying wi-fi settings and also tested with mobile and PC hot spots.. nothing works.. waiting on response from Oculus on my  support ticket

Yeah, i had to wait until Amazon got a new batch of Quests in, so maybe this new batch is faulty.

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

ojuujo said:

What I figured: When connecting to Hotspot on the iPhone the iPhone will show if a connection is established. 
Even though the Oculus App says that it doesn't work (something went wrong / headset disconnected), the hotspot connection will stay. If I switch the hotspot off and on it will soon afterwards again have a connection. So somehow the Oculus Quest does connect, but it cannot download etc.

What is it saying on your Quest when you are actually looking through it? Mine shows ""Updating your headset - You will be notified on your phone when your headset is ready - Downloading"" - but it's not downloading anything, I can check the used MB on my iPhone and those doesn't change at all. 

Mine also says the same thing and a couple of times it did start to download the update randomly, but it will only go to 99% which is when you must enter your Wi Fi password in the app. The fact that the app remembers my Wi Fi now and then for the Quest proves that the app can find my Wi Fi and accepts the password at some point, even though it says "something went wrong" 

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

ojuujo said:

@Mr_Oculus_ : I'm using Netgear
@OculusQuestDayOne : please let us know when your ticket received a response. 
As of your name, please don't tell me that you are having this problem since 2 weeks...

So it's not an actual issue with the same brand of router, although it could still be some sort of setting. I'm starting to think it's not a router setting though, considering how many things i have tried changing in there and how many things others have tried too. 

OculusQuestDayO
Explorer
@ojuujo I am having this issue sine its got delivered on 29th June. since then I have been spending hours everyday troubleshooting to setup this device.. Sure as soon as I receive any update on my ticket I will post here..

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer
Do you guys have an Oculus Go set up on your same Oculus account? I'm wondering if my Oculus Go is interfering somehow? If you do have an Oculus Go, ill try setting up a new account for the quest, it's a long shot, but really running out of ideas here lol

ojuujo
Explorer
No, this is my first VR experience ever. 

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

ojuujo said:

No, this is my first VR experience ever. 

Ah kk, that's not the issue then 😞

ojuujo
Explorer

ojuujo said:

Mine also says the same thing and a couple of times it did start to download the update randomly, but it will only go to 99% which is when you must enter your Wi Fi password in the app. The fact that the app remembers my Wi Fi now and then for the Quest proves that the app can find my Wi Fi and accepts the password at some point, even though it says "something went wrong" 

That download screen isn't moving by me nor does it show any percentage. It's starting exactly in the middle and it doesn't move at all. 

Mr_Oculus_
Explorer

ojuujo said:

ojuujo said:

That download screen isn't moving by me nor does it show any percentage. It's starting exactly in the middle and it doesn't move at all. 

It's only done it for me twice and i've been trying to get it to work every day since it got here (last Thursday) It happened when i quit the app whilst it was saying "something went wrong" when i restarted the app, my wireless router randomly popped up under neath The Quest and it started downloading the update up to 99%, but once again, you then have to go into "finish set up" and then it still says something went wrong.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?