New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S - Please read before you buy - Tracking problems with realistic FPS sims & Archery

Comments

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    Well I'm getting a HP Reverb, Valve index and a new Graphics cards. It's only costing me £2600 for the lot :D

I bought RTX 2080 a few weeks back and I bought Rift S but now I'm probably going to refund Rift S and just get Valve Index instead. 

I love my RTX 2080 btw, I can run all games on ultra settings like Rage 2, Metro Exodus, Battlefront 2, Anthem etc and still get 110-130fps. And it runs all my VR games great too. I have an old i5 4690k as well so if you have a better CPU then me then you'll get even higher fps.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Project 2501
    vannagirl said:
    @SkScotchegg

Darn that sucks, I almost impulse bought this after everyone gushing over the visuals,

no real cheaper alternatives but will probably just impulse buy the reverb now and keep for seated

Yeah it's a real shame, if they'd not messed about with the tracking and stuck with Constellation it would of been 10/10 perfection.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    I'm just curious to know. What happens if you have a Rift CV1 and it develops a fault under warranty? Will they send you another Rift CV1 or a Rift S? I would also like to know when they are going to stop supporting Rift CV1?

@SkScotchegg - Do you reckon you could could ask Carmack when external sensors will stop being supported? Or how do you contact him and I'll ask him myself.
  • morsifymorsify Posts: 34
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    I just want to say thanks to @skscotchegg for highlighting this issue - I was sorely tempted to buy a Rift S for the slight improvement in resolution, but I will certainly not be buying one in the near future unless this problem is completely resolved. I am more than happy with my CV1 for now, but I am concerned that the future of VR, for me at least, looks bleak, if Oculus can't get their act together. 
    I won't settle for game developers cobbling together workaround fixes. I want tracking in FPS games to work properly, or no purchase. And I can't afford the current Valve Index prices. 

Responses by Oculus are conspicuous by their absence, which is also a bit worrying.

I'm not posting to start an argument, but I just wanted to add my concern as an Oculus customer.
    Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X, i7 9770K, 16GB DDR4, EVGA RTX2070XC 8GB Ultra Gaming, AOC 32" monitor, 2 x Inatek PCI USB controllers, Oculus Rift CV1, Windows 10 64 Home
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,216 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    RedRizla said:
     Couldn't CV1 touch controllers work with Rift S and external sensors?
    Yeah they could - that's the point I was trying to make with my post ;)
    But putting money into developing this hybrid system to make CV1 enthusiasts happy, while making Oculus look like they admit a mistake, most likely isn't gonna happen.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    RedRizla said:
    Well I'm getting a HP Reverb, Valve index and a new Graphics cards. It's only costing me £2600 for the lot :D
    I've ordered a Reverb as well, and will have a couple of months to decide whether or not to cancel my Index order :smile:
  • xSTONEMANxxSTONEMANx Posts: 195
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:

I bought RTX 2080 a few weeks back and I bought Rift S but now I'm probably going to refund Rift S and just get Valve Index instead. 

I love my RTX 2080 btw, I can run all games on ultra settings like Rage 2, Metro Exodus, Battlefront 2, Anthem etc and still get 110-130fps. And it runs all my VR games great too. I have an old i5 4690k as well so if you have a better CPU then me then you'll get even higher fps.
    I just replaced a gtx1070 with a Asus strix oc RTX 2080 paired with a i7 4790k it made a huge difference.
    Project 2501
    Just out of curiosity guys, I've noticed some of you have said your planning on getting HP Reverb but won't the Reverb have the exact same tracking problems as Rift S, and also perhaps even worse?

As Rift S has 5 cameras and Reverb has 2 cameras? So if 5 cameras on Rift S don't perform well, what makes you guys think that Reverb will be better?

I don't mean to put a downer on your plans, but it just had me curious that so many people seem to be planning to skip Rift S due to tracking and go to Reverb?

If it's just for the screen quality then the Reverb is meant to have an amazing screen, but I think Rift S has a fantastic screen also so I'd probably stick with Rift S if your going to just use it for sitting games or racing sims etc, plus it's cheaper.
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    RedRizla said:
    I'm just curious to know. What happens if you have a Rift CV1 and develops a fault under warranty? Will they send you another Rift CV1 or a Rift S? I would also like to know when they are going to stop supporting Rift CV1?

@SkScotchegg - Do you reckon you could could ask Carmack when external sensors will stop being supported? Or how do you contact him and I'll ask him myself.

Hey mate, I just tweeted him on twitter, I've never really used Twitter before but I had an account I've never used so I logged in and just sent him a message, it's quite easy to use actually.

Yeah no worries, i'll message him and ask him for you.

EDIT: I've just tweeted him, so I'll posted back tomorrow his reply, if he does reply to me again.
  • jabjab Posts: 221
    Nexus 6
    Speaking of inside-out tracking and inherent limitations, the front page for Oculus Quest made me chuckle a bit.. 

• CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Yeah, the Reverb (and other WMR headsets) can basically only track its controllers if they're directly within your sight.   Easily the worst controller tracking of any 6DoF VR system..  and I've never heard a good thing about the controller designs themselves, either.    Great for people who are only interested in sims, gamepad-games, or passive experiences  (or as a secondary device you use only for those things)   but for anything else, the Rift-S is superior.

I think it's more funny when people say "I'm giving up on Rift-S and getting a Valve Index instead" ...  Because if you can afford to pick up such an expensive alternative on a whim, why did you go for an entry-level VR device in the first place???   It's like saying "I didn't like the handling on my Honda Civic, so I'm gonna trade it in for a Lamborghini"

Or maybe they just think it's more likely for Valve to suddenly make an Oculus-scale commitment to content development than it is for Oculus to make any improvements to the Rift-S tracking software after release.  :kissing_heart:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,012 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    jab said:
    Speaking of inside-out tracking and inherent limitations, the front page for Oculus Quest made me chuckle a bit..

I notice you've been thread hopping a lot lately with nothing but negative rhetoric. And none of that negativity seems to stem from your own first-hand experiences. You're just angrily theorycrafting. And with this latest post, it seems you're turning in to a full on troll.

I don't think anyone cares if you buy a Quest or Rift-S. I own a Quest and so far I haven't had any tracking issues even when my hands are behind me. In that image that made you chuckle in such a creepy manner, the person is executing a fast movement. The software algorithms of Quest and Rift-S can very much handle that fast movement without losing tracking.

Maybe try things out for yourself before going online to act some some crusader.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Just out of curiosity guys, I've noticed some of you have said your planning on getting HP Reverb but won't the Reverb have the exact same tracking problems as Rift S, and also perhaps even worse?
    Yeah, the tracking is worse, and the Reverb is not a replacement for my wireless CV1, but a supplement. I'll use it for car sims, media consumption and various other seated experiences. For instance gamepad titles like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.
    edited June 2019
    CrashFu said:

I think it's more funny when people say "I'm giving up on Rift-S and getting a Valve Index instead" ...  Because if you can afford to pick up such an expensive alternative on a whim, why did you go for an entry-level VR device in the first place???   It's like saying "I didn't like the handling on my Honda Civic, so I'm gonna trade it in for a Lamborghini"

Or maybe they just think it's more likely for Valve to suddenly make an Oculus-scale commitment to content development than it is for Oculus to make any improvements to the Rift-S tracking software after release.  :kissing_heart:

I wouldn't say I'm one of those people who could afford to pick up a Valve index on a whim. Given there is no alternative to the type of tracking I prefer though, I don't think I have much choice. I could wait years for the next VR headset to see what it's like, but I'm not getting any younger ;)

I purchased Rift S because I thought it would be suitable for my VR needs, but sadly this time around it's not. But how are you ever going to know if it's suitable or not without ever trying these things out for yourself? I really wish is was suitable for me because it would save me spending £920 :#

I have Rift CV1 and I am happy with that though, it's a bit of a downer going back to the godrays and the display after seeing Rift S, but I'm appreciating the tracking again.

Nexus 6
    edited June 2019
    Zenbane said:
    Pot, meet kettle.

I've been following Oculus since the very beginning (original kickstarter), and their products are still having the same problem as then, with some new ones added to the mix to spice things up. In fact I had less problems with both DK1 and DK2 combined then their so called commercial products. If not for the fact that I got my CV1 for free (kickstarter reward) I would be troll raging all over this place, considering the product quality and support experience I had. But rest assured I will always keep it civil and based on facts.
    Project 2501
    Wildt said:
    Yeah, the tracking is worse, and the Reverb is not a replacement for my wireless CV1, but a supplement. I'll use it for car sims, media consumption and various other seated experiences. For instance gamepad titles like Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice.

Oh that makes sense. I've also been playing through Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice and I actually like it, it's kinda weird but in a good way, it's very unique to me, I've never played anything quite like it and the graphics and gameplay are really good. It keeps you intrigued. And also it;s only of the only ever sit down games I've wanted to play in VR as I mostly on play VR stood up.
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    RedRizla said:

I wouldn't say I'm one of those people who could afford to pick up a Valve index on a whim. Given there is no alternative to the type of tracking I prefer though, I don't think I have much choice. I could wait years for the next VR headset to see what it's like, but I'm not getting any younger ;)

I purchased Rift S because I thought it would be suitable for my VR needs, but sadly this time around it's not. But how are you ever going to know if it's suitable or not without ever trying these things out for yourself? I really wish is was suitable for me because it would save me spending £920 :#

I have Rift CV1 and I am happy with that though, it's a bit of a downer going back to the godrays and the display after seeing Rift S, but I'm appreciating the tracking again.

I feel exactly the same, I really didn't want to have to spend £920 but I love VR and I am ready for the next best thing. I read reviews on Vive Pro and Pimax and I didn't really fancy them for verious reasons. But Valve Index has things that really intrigue me like the extra FOV and increased refresh rate etc so I am actually really excited to get it.

I'm hoping it will be exactly the same tracking quality as CV1 but slightly larger FOV, slightly better resolution. But I'm also going to expect the same level of god rays as CV1 also.

Maybe that's why going back to CV1 for a few months until Index arrives will help me to get used to god rays again before it arrives.

Also I think it's good that we bought Rift S and tried it out for ourselves because at least now we know what the deal is first hand and also that has enabled us to inform others of our experience.

EDIT: Just to let you know, I just checked my twitter account for an update and John Carmack hasn't replied to my last tweet yet, I don't know if he's going to. Maybe he thinks I will keep messaging him and he doesn't have time or something lol
    Nexus 6
    edited June 2019
     I'm hoping it will be exactly the same tracking quality as CV1 but slightly larger FOV, slightly better resolution. 
    Then I can guarantee that you will be happy with Lighthouse tracking. It is arguably the best VR tracking system (performance wise, and most convenient to install for external tracking) of all the platforms currently available.
    jab said:
     I'm hoping it will be exactly the same tracking quality as CV1 but slightly larger FOV, slightly better resolution. 
    Then I can guarantee that you will be happy with Lighthouse tracking. It is arguably the best VR tracking system (performance wise, and most convenient to install for external tracking) of all the platforms currently available.
    Convenient to install?  Nothing that requires power-tools and wall mounts is convenient to install.  You have to hard-mount the lighthouses in semi-permanent locations, above head level, in opposite corners of your room. On top of that each one requires a wall-socket.   Lighthouse is by far the least convenient, least practical tracking system on the market.

And if you want to talk performance, you can't use Lighthouse in a room with any reflective surfaces or the laser grid gets screwed up,  you can't mount it anywhere that it could vibrate or be nudged in any way, you can't mount it facing a TV or anything that uses infrared sensors or the lighthouse will screw those up, and you can't use it in bright light (because the laser grid won't be visible to the headset)   The Vive support page is full of warnings like that.

Lighthouse (and the rest of the Vive system)  were designed in a rush to undermine CV1 sales;  this is tech that was specifically built to look impressive on paper and at demos in controlled environments,  not to actually be practical or reliable for home-use.   Valve is re-using it for the Index to be cheap and lazy, and to inflate the price of the whole system, not because it's actually good.

Meanwhile, Insight is cutting-edge tech that Oculus spent millions of dollars developing.  Unlike Lighthouse, it still has room to grow, and it will be improved significantly over the coming months.  Close-to-camera tracking will improve, positional predictions will improve, conflicts with external programs will improve.  A year from now, we'll wonder why anyone ever bothered with the inconvenience of external sensors.

Right now, we're basically in the "early access" phase of the Insight tech, and clearly some people aren't happy about that.  One might think, "This is what dev kits are for!  A consumer release should only use fully-perfected tech!".   Personally, I love beta-testing, I love watching things grow and improve over time.  That's why I bought a Rift-S on day one.

Those of you without the patience to wait for improvements might want to just check back at the end of the year, or something.   But I'd be careful with that "grass is always greener" mentality;  if you pick up a Reverb or Index right at launch, they're bound to have just as many issues  (and for what? They don't even have content yet, and maybe never will).   And since Oculus has a much larger and better-funded R&D department compared to HP or Valve  (plus all the best minds in the industry), I'm betting that our issues will be solved much sooner.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    RedRizla said:

You talk about the Valve index like it's a failed tracking system, but say nothing about the Rift S tracking problems at all. Instead you choose to say we should all wait and it will come good in the end. 

That would be because I have yet to experience any significant tracking problems with Rift-S, other than the ones I was able to easily remedy within minutes, and haven't experienced since.  In fact, Rift-S tracking is already better overall than my CV1's tracking ever was, and I didn't have to spend hundreds of  dollars on extra sensors, wall/ceiling mounts, extension cords, and PCI-USB cards to achieve that.   And I shouldn't have to.  The whole point of the switch to Insight is that everyone can get good, 360-degree, room-scale tracking without having to buy extras or engage in a fricken' home renovation project.   Every user is on the same page, right out of the box, and developers know what to develop for, without having to account for 2-sensor users differently from 3+ sensor users, etc.

Meanwhile, the various issues with Lighthouse tracking are well known, and likely part of the reason that Vive sales completely stagnated after their first run of orders, and why the Vive Pro never took off at all. And yet, you pretend that those issues don't exist and talk about the Index like it will have perfect tracking, despite it using that exact same tracking system, with all its flaws.

You tell people to wait till the end of the year, but nobody told Oculus to release Rift S right now. Why didn't they just wait till the end of the year when it was all good? 

You seem to think that Oculus just pulled a big oopsie woopsie and released the system with broken tracking software.  On the contrary, most of the tracking problems people have experienced aren't problems with Insight itself... they're due to interference from third-party programs or windows settings, use of an insufficient USB port, outdated drivers, out-of-date Windows versions, trying to play in insufficient lighting, etc. To be fair, the headset cables might not be attached securely enough when shipped, and if so that's on the manufacturer, but you can fix that just by unplugging it and plugging it back in.

In other words, it wouldn't have mattered when Oculus released Rift-S ... you still would have experienced the same problems, because the problems are on your end.  They're problems that Oculus likely never would have caught in the closed testing environment, and that only affect some of their users, or rare use-cases that they hadn't accounted for.  In this case, releasing any later would have been detrimental, because they would have had less time to sort out these issues before certain major game releases or the holiday season.

So now what they have to do is find solutions to those rare-use cases, and resolve the third-party conflicts, and work with Windows and Nvidia and AMD etc. to resolve conflicts in those companies' software.  But they'll also keep improving things such as the overall tracking accuracy, and predictive algorithms, and ability of the cameras to track the controllers in less-than-ideal positions (IE, close-up)   because software can always be improved.

In other words, the problems with Rift-S are purely temporary. They'll be fixed before long, and Rift-S' tracking will just keep getting better and better.  But Lighthouse?  It has fundamental flaws in the design of the hardware itself, which means that any system using it will never have better tracking than the original Vive.
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 105
    Art3mis
    jab said:

Bit of a hijack, but I'm moving to Index from CV1 and wondering how 2x lighthouse 2.0 compares to a 4-sensor CV1 setup in terms of raw tracking fidelity? Any experience with both?
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Don't try this at Home!

edited June 2019
    CrashFu said:

That would be because I have yet to experience any significant tracking problems with Rift-S, other than the ones I was able to easily remedy within minutes, and haven't experienced since. .

I'll agree that some people have problems with tracking for other reasons too, but this thread isn't about those particular tracking problems, it's about tracking in FPS games.This is why the Onward devs had to come up with their own fix for the problems people were having and not us. The problems I'm having are the same as what the OP described and I've clearly stated this in my posts. I also said I wasn't happy with the Onward patch because it still prevented me from moving my eye closer to the rifle scopes and there are problems with the bipod.

Meanwhile, the various issues with Lighthouse tracking are well known, and likely part of the reason that Vive sales completely stagnated after their first run of orders, and why the Vive Pro never took off at all. And yet, you pretend that those issues don't exist and talk about the Index like it will have perfect tracking, despite it using that exact same tracking system, with all its flaws.

I don't pretend lighthouse tracking doesn't have problems like you've suggested. I've never read about lighthouses or even used them, so how would I know if they have problems with tracking or not? Where exactly have I said that lighthouses don't have tracking problems or even said Valve index will have perfect tracking? All I've said is that I'm going to try a Valve index this time around and see what Oculus comes up with for Rift 2.

The whole point of the switch to Insight is that everyone can get good, 360-degree, room-scale tracking without having to buy extras or engage in a fricken' home renovation project.

I like my Rift CV1 tracking and if Valve index has anything like the Rift CV1 tracking then I'll be happy with it. I have a VR room, so setting up external sensors is not a problem for me and it took me less then 30 mins to setup the CV1 sensors. If for any reason I don't like Valve index, then I will just return it for a refund and stick with my Rift CV1 for now.

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    The QUEST uses PREDICTIVE TRACKING. The RIFT S needs to adopt this too as there is no reason to have your hands do something really weird and jump or suddenly spin around! Seems all the hard work goes into that device instead.
    Project 2501
    edited June 2019
    CrashFu said:
     In fact, Rift-S tracking is already better overall than my CV1's tracking ever was...

Mate seriously, come on, I've no idea what your talking about. How can you say such a thing? If you really believe that you must have either setup your Constellation sensors wrong for Rift CV1 or there was some other kind of issue on your side. Because honestly Constellation was 100% perfect for me for all these years, so how can you even say that?

Have you been suffering with bad tracking on your CV1 for all these years whilst other gamers like myself have been playing perfectly fine and having a great time? Maybe it was your sensor placement or maybe something was wrong on your side?

CrashFu said:

In other words, the problems with Rift-S are purely temporary. They'll be fixed before long...

That is a bold statement. Your assuming so much.

I feel like your fighting hard to say "Rift S is amazing, it has perfect tracking for me and everyone else can stop complaining" and "everything will be solved eventually".

But for those of us who bought Rift S and do have problems with dozens of the top popular games in VR then of course we expected better from Oculus. It's not our fault they released two headsets at once, it wasn't our decision to use Insight tracking when they already had a great tracking system already called Constellation.

And it wasn't our fault they partnered with Lenovo if that's what caused this whole debacle.

From what I've read Quest has tracking issues too but Quest has been praised by many and has less tracking issues then Rift S. I wish Oculus had worked on Rift S themselves and then maybe the tracking would have been as good as Quest, who knows.

I don't think Rift S was ready for release as it is for both new customers to VR and old customers like us. They could have taken more time, added more cameras and done more testing. They should have tested it for top 10 or top 20 games in VR and made sure everything worked as expected.

I really don't know what your trying to argue about, I've bought other products in life before that also were faulty and had issues and I complained about them and returned them too. Like one time I bought a Sony phone and the sound didn't work. One time we got a new TV and the black levels were rubbish and the sound was crackling so we returned it.

Why you trying to defend Rift S so much? Why do you want to wait for fixes to tracking that might never come? And if they do come they could only fix some of the issues but not all. Why not refund and just stick with CV1? 

CrashFu said:
    That would be because I have yet to experience any significant tracking problems with Rift-S, other than the ones I was able to easily remedy within minutes, and haven't experienced since. 

Also your doing that thing where you and other people say, "oh it's not an issue, it only took me a short time to work around the problems with the tracking." But why are you forcing yourself to hold a gun or a bow in a weird way in order to play the same games you've been playing for years?

Why should any of us have to do that? Including yourself. It's like your so determined to overlook it's faults, especially with tracking and your determined to just carry on regardless.
    Scotch, has it ever occurred to you that maybe everyone isn't experiencing the same problems you are?  Did you ever think that maybe the problems are on your end, and affecting a smaller portion of Rift-S owners than you think?   Look at the poll in the following thread: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76655/how-many-of-you-do-not-have-any-major-problems-with-the-rift-s#latest    At the time of writing this, 2/3 of Rift-S users have no significant problems...  and almost all of the people who stated they do have problems are forum newbies, so I'm guessing that many of them are new to VR altogether and aren't tech-savvy enough to perform any of the easy fixes.

And really, what possible motive would anyone  (even a die-hard Oculus fan like me)  have for pretending to have fewer problems than they really do?   If you look at my post history, I've freely admitted the small issues I have experienced, and even that I had tracking problems before I took the time to look for solutions.

If none of the commonly suggested fixes work for you, I suggest you get in touch with Oculus Support. They should be able to figure out why your tracking isn't working as well as it should be.   Or, you can just give up on the Rift-S and go buy another headset, I really don't care.  But honestly, if you aren't even going to bother finding a fix for this headset,  what are you going to do if the next one doesn't work right, straight out of the box?  Return it and look for a third option?

(That's a rhetorical question, by the way.  These debates are cutting into my VR time, and I want to get through more of my back-log before Stormland and Asgard's Wrath come out... Good luck finding a solution, or replacement, to your problems though.)

edited June 2019
    @CrashFu- Has is occurred to you that people are talking about a different type of tracking issue with FPS, and that's why the Onward devs had to put out a fix for Rift S? These are the issues the OP is talking about as far as I can tell.
    For me the virtual stock fix in Onward still doesn't address some of the other issues though, like moving your head closer to look down the scopes and the bipod is still broken. That isn't something we as users can fix at our end, it has to come from the games devs or even Oculus.
    Hopefully the Onward devs can put out another patch for those issues at some point in the future.