All Problems for Oculus Rift S - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

All Problems for Oculus Rift S

Comments

• FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I've gotten to a point where if I plug the USB in first and wait a few minutes, it verifies. then I plug in the DP cable and it verifies right away, then it goes into headset sensor check and fails. "please plug into a different USB" well I've tried all 5 of my usb3.0 so.. it worked for a moment.. had ZERO issues with the previous rift.
  • SulenorSulenor Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited June 2
    About touch switch on
    I played a seat game and don't use the touch,  but in the oculus software, i can see that touch are activated, even if they are in the boxe. And in the home, i can see 2 touch at the position of my head.

So, i don't know if it's Rifts wich wake up the touch, or if they don't shut off since i used it.

About passthrough+
    We can't use a binding key or button to switch to the passthrough+
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,601 Valuable Player
    Touch shuts off in PTC 1.38, only after complete shutdown PC though. At least that was the way it was for me before my Rift S gave up the ghost. 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Yobiwan29Yobiwan29 Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2
    SteamVR home and steamVR games are not very smooth on my Rift S. I'm very disappointed. 95% of my library is on Steam... never had any problem like this with the Odyssey+. I hope this will be fixed soon.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming - i7 8700 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 MHz - Aorus GTX 1080Ti - 2 To SSD - Corsair RM650X 80+ gold
  • bporionbporion Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Ethrelaed said:
    And here a old issue from a newcomer with a new product: Do not, and i repeat in caps: DO NOT EVER DARE TO USE THE RIFT S WITH GLASSES! Do not listen to people that are saying glasses and rift s are fine. Scratches in my Rift S and my glasses tell another story. And you will only find out about the issue as a newcomer when it is to late BECAUSE THERE IS NOWHERE A CLEAR WARNING.
    i wear glasses whit no problem i have 2 pairs of glasses the smaller frame ones fit and the others whit the bigger frames do not . 
  • Aka-SerbaAka-Serba Posts: 2
    NerveGear
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Sulenor said:
    About touch switch on
    I played a seat game and don't use the touch,  but in the oculus software, i can see that touch are activated, even if they are in the boxe. And in the home, i can see 2 touch at the position of my head.

So, i don't know if it's Rifts wich wake up the touch, or if they don't shut off since i used it.

About passthrough+
    Yes the Controllers do not switch off and can drop dead when at 50% and even kick us out of a Game's focus which can be a crucial moment!

Bind for PASSTHROUGH = 2 taps of the Right Oculus Button and same to come back out ;)
    Wintermute
    edited June 2

I run Win1809 with Runtime 1.37 and there is no increase in volume on the RIFT S after 50%. It just gets auto Limited as though it was added to prevent clipping which it isn’t needing due to not getting loud enough. Your Oculus GO/Quest needed it as components were shaken by the vibration. When there is only vocals in the start/end of songs I can hear the volume ramp up much higher. It’s the same when we use enhancements: Bass Boost; Virtualizer; Loudness EQ, it pushes the volume down even more due to the peaks of the lower/higher frequencies.

You must alter the threshold of this Limiter OR just remove it. I can see the potential of the incredible sound this could have but right now it is being restricted, giving us a very poor impression of the RIFT S!

Is this the true reason you did not yet provide HEADPHONE ADD-ONS (earbuds are awful as it alters our own voice!)

How would earbuds alter your voice?
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    Wintermute
    It's the same as putting your fingers in your ears hard and you can hardly hear yourself for enjoyment in using the built-in mic. You also hear clicks of your own jaw very loudly. 
  • devoidx360devoidx360 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    SO here's my path and the reason I'm getting a refund. 

I run "fix software" it rips 7gb of data from my internet.

I run it, works like a charm. Then I reboot, error comes up that the oculus software can't open. I repair it again. It works but the tracking doesn't. Then it forces an update to the firmware again and now it can't see my cables.

So at this point, I KNOW its the firmware but I can't do anything about it because every time I "repair" oculus, it uninstalls the firmware lmao. Then it sees my cable then it forces firmware update then it can't see my cables.
    Having a similar issue. I enabled PTC and after the update my PC freezes when playing a non-VR game (Steam or Uplay, etc.) with the headset UNPLUGGED.

After rebooting the PC the Oculus software goes into an infinite health check and any attempt at a repair fails. I have to completely remove (manually) all traces of the Oculus software and install it again (You can copy the temp folder it creates on C: to prevent it from downloading the 7.18GB of install files each time) to get it back to working order.

I've rolled back from 1.7.1 to 1.6.7 and will see if the older firmware, drivers and software cause the same issue.

This is all on a clean build of Windows 10 1903 with the latest May updates and I've ZERO system hangs or blue screens when running the system WITHOUT the Oculus software installed.

Color me annoyed,,,
  • SnoWy24SnoWy24 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 3
    So I got my Oculus Rift S two days ago and I got a few problems, I fixed some of them though.

Alright so, I see alot of people complaining about the black screen issue. Try following this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrfjD3jwqJs It might help you out. If this does not fix it try going to the location you have Oculus installed. Next open go (Support > oculus-drivers) Then simply run the oculus driver app. This should reinstall the drivers. If this doesent help try repairing the Oculus app itself by opening OculusSetup > Repair. Edit: I found one more thing that may help, and that is closing the app and going into task manager and end the "OVRServer_x64.exe" task. After this simply start the app again and it might work.

Another issue I had was that in Steam VR and most VR games I was twitching with zooming in and zooming out. Like it zoomed me in and out fast, it happened quite often. The fix is to go into task manager and give Oculus's "OVRServer_x64.exe" High priority on power management. (Right click > Set Priority > High) I havent seen anyone mention this yet, but if you get that problem I hope this helps.

I got the whitescreen issue as well, where everything suddenly flashes white inside the headset. I havent found a fix for this and I think its a software issue that they have to fix themselves. So yeah lets just hope they come out with a fix soon.

I had a few tracking issues as well but i think giving OVRserver high priority fixed them, cant confirm that at the time im writing this though.

Lastly I got an issue where the screen is tearing when i move around, not when I stand still though. I especially noticed this well in VRChat where when I would move around it would just tear up the picture inside the headset under movement. This applied for everything though, not only VRChat.

If anyone got any fix to the tearing issue please share it, I would really appriciate that. As to everything else I hope someone found what I wrote here helpful, the headset is new so I thought I'd share some bugs and fixes I found here and there.
  • ZtreakZtreak Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    edited June 3
    ISSUE INCLUDING FIX/WORKAROUND

This is an odd one, but actual for me and several other users.

During the initial setup of the Rift S the Oculus app find the USB and DP connection without problem. It then update the firmware. After updating the firmware it can no longer find the USB and DP connections. Other symptoms is sending the Oculus app into a loop where it opens, then closes again and does this until the oculus server service stops.

The solution that worked was creating a new local windows user account with admin rights. The name of this user account is important. Make sure it does not have any "special letters" like mine had. It had an "è" in it. There are many other letters that also produce this issue. Like ø,æ,å and many others that i dont even know how to make.

Continuing the setup using the new local windows account will make it all work.... if the issue is what i had.

The cons with this is to have another account just to use the Rift S. But it will do until they fix the issue.
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    SnoWy24 said:
    So I got my Oculus Rift S two days ago and I got a few problems, I fixed some of them though.

Alright so, I see alot of people complaining about the black screen issue. Try following this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrfjD3jwqJs It might help you out. If this does not fix it try going to the location you have Oculus installed. Next open go (Support > oculus-drivers) Then simply run the oculus driver app. This should reinstall the drivers. If this doesent help try repairing the Oculus app itself by opening OculusSetup > Repair. Edit: I found one more thing that may help, and that is closing the app and going into task manager and end the "OVRServer_x64.exe" task. After this simply start the app again and it might work.

Another issue I had was that in Steam VR and most VR games I was twitching with zooming in and zooming out. Like it zoomed me in and out fast, it happened quite often. The fix is to go into task manager and give Oculus's "OVRServer_x64.exe" High priority on power management. (Right click > Set Priority > High) I havent seen anyone mention this yet, but if you get that problem I hope this helps.

I got the whitescreen issue as well, where everything suddenly flashes white inside the headset. I havent found a fix for this and I think its a software issue that they have to fix themselves. So yeah lets just hope they come out with a fix soon.

I had a few tracking issues as well but i think giving OVRserver high priority fixed them, cant confirm that at the time im writing this though.

Lastly I got an issue where the screen is tearing when i move around, not when I stand still though. I especially noticed this well in VRChat where when I would move around it would just tear up the picture inside the headset under movement. This applied for everything though, not only VRChat.

If anyone got any fix to the tearing issue please share it, I would really appriciate that. As to everything else I hope someone found what I wrote here helpful, the headset is new so I thought I'd share some bugs and fixes I found here and there.
    Fix for tearing issue:
    when and if you experience the tearing/jitter/jutter/shadows effect I speak of. Open the oculus debug tool in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and change the asynchronous spacewarp to ASW Disabled!!!! Clearly what is going on here is a frame rate desync/mismatch!   The rift is 90 hertz hence why it has the 45fps setting there for async, but the rift s is 80 hertz and thus should be using a 40fps setting!!!!  This is a huge oversight by the rift s team and a result of skimping on our hardware and going 80 hertz!   After adjusting this setting I have had no further issues other than still needing this USB hub!  I am very on the fence about keeping this product or not. It is nice but it is not nice at the same time lol.... But now that I know what is causing it the effect I was seeing actually makes sense too...

After making this adjustment I have been able to use my rift s quite enjoyably finally... other than the random re centering and occasional flicker of static and needing to use a separate USB powered hub....

I too also noticed the solution regarding setting the oculus exes to high priority... but it does introduce other unwanted issues as a caveat :(

It appears I have solved my black screen issue with Rift S, it was a conflict with running two monitors.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/76615/for-those-with-two-monitors-and-black-screen-issues-in-rift-s#latest
    Don

Wintermute
    That's been an issue for CV1 in the past. Ideally need an actual fix for this by drawing attention to it and getting a "Issue Noted" by the DEVs not just a Forum runner. We know this Forum is just community with nothing being picked up on by Oculus DEVs whilst Oculus Support merely carry out their role of reading out response lines rather than working with Oculus DEVs directly when a major issue is apparent.

Do you still get occasional White Flashes? After 2hours or more any crashes? It happens when the RIFT S Audio is in use.
  • GBKnightGBKnight Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Posting this here as well, if you are looking for this release to fix controllers locking in place but still rotating.

If you have an RTX card with a virtuallink port (2060, 2070, 2080) get a USB A to C adapter and connect the USB to the virtuallink port. Guaranteed 27 watts that fully powers the headset. 
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    bgast7852 said:
    10. ENJOY! and avoid using Oculus's shitty buggy software, stick with steam vr

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,195
    3Jane
    ^ is that a joke? Or are you out of your mind. 
  • SulenorSulenor Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    edited June 3
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Sulenor said:
    About touch switch on

About passthrough+
    Yes the Controllers do not switch off and can drop dead when at 50% and even kick us out of a Game's focus which can be a crucial moment!

Bind for PASSTHROUGH = 2 taps of the Right Oculus Button and same to come back out ;)
    I know that one, but i can't use it. It's for Aerial simulator. When you have a joystick in one hand, a throttle in the other one, and you have to activate a switch on a control pannel, while you are flying at a few meters above the earth, you don't have time to search the Touch in the night, find the button and use it. If you do that, you are dead.  ;)

That's why it would be usefull if we can bind a key or a button of our choice.
    Wintermute
    Likewise all Games should feature an OCULUS STANDARD for RECENTRE by now. Even BIGSCREEN and OCULUS HOME don't use the widely adopted 2 THUMBSTICK BUTTONS!!!
  • SnoWy24SnoWy24 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 3
    SnoWy24 said:

Fix for tearing issue:
    when and if you experience the tearing/jitter/jutter/shadows effect I speak of. Open the oculus debug tool in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and change the asynchronous spacewarp to ASW Disabled!!!! Clearly what is going on here is a frame rate desync/mismatch!   The rift is 90 hertz hence why it has the 45fps setting there for async, but the rift s is 80 hertz and thus should be using a 40fps setting!!!!  This is a huge oversight by the rift s team and a result of skimping on our hardware and going 80 hertz!   After adjusting this setting I have had no further issues other than still needing this USB hub!  I am very on the fence about keeping this product or not. It is nice but it is not nice at the same time lol.... But now that I know what is causing it the effect I was seeing actually makes sense too...

After making this adjustment I have been able to use my rift s quite enjoyably finally... other than the random re centering and occasional flicker of static and needing to use a separate USB powered hub....

I too also noticed the solution regarding setting the oculus exes to high priority... but it does introduce other unwanted issues as a caveat :(

Yeah this fixed the screen tearing issue i had, i set it to disabled though. Not sure what difference it makes but it did fix it so ty for that. The picture inside the headset itself is flickering alot when i move and i see like multiplied versions of the same picture, lasting for about 0.1 sec until it becomes normal again. This only happens when i move though, is this normal for the Rift S? Im not really sure how to fix it but its really annoying.
    Wintermute
    Your settings are too high OR you are limiting them by V-Sync OR FPS Limiter below 80.
    Wintermute
    Battery Levels is broken in 1.37 and same for CV1...
    After 1 Week's use and leaving PC ON over night but closing Oculus I return next day and open Oculus to see the Controllers are reported as "SLEEPING" yet were not used in previous 12hours!

Using BETA>RESTART OCULUS reports the actual true state of the Controllers which were OFF!

Then after 1 more day's use the standard supplied Batteries are reported as 50% with no reporting in between!
    Very soon I will get a Warning of Low Battery Life and it will switch Focus from the game (fatal in Elite). Then it will just die!! I will continue from now using the Eneloops but these will last about 4 days even if I don't use them!!!

Wintermute
    Oculus, you want my LOGs but the file is too big at 41.7MB and the limit for email is 33MB.
    I do not use Google Drive, Cloud, nor Dropbox!
    Here are my LOGs which I email a link here to tick box and send a new cable as nobody here has had a fix from these LOGs...

Wintermute
    Jesus @Techy111 , I/We do think we could make this Thread a Sticky surely mate?

In the meantime Quest is getting new features by Carmack! Has he even used this for even 2 hours?
    BATTERY USE
    CONTROLLER OFF STATE
    CONTROLLER LAG TO DROP
    FLASHES
    MONOCHROME AFTER A COUPLE HOURS THEN BLACKSCREEN
    OTHER GAMES CRASH DUE TO USING ONBOARD AUDIO

BETTER TRACKING TO ACTUALLY PREDICT POSITION RATHER THAN FLIPPING ABOUT SPINNING!
    PULLOUT LOSES FOCUS OF GAME & CAN'T DO SEPERATE WINDOWS SO IS USELESS!
    NO HOME STRAFING
    NO 2 THUMB BUTTON RECENTRE
    NO KEY BIND FOR PASS-THROUGH EXCEPT TOUCH BUTTONx2
    AUDIO WITH NO LIMITER UNTIL AT 100% NOT 50%
    (which reminds me of the Battery Usage is Power OFF at 50% so are linked?)

Carmack get here right now Boss!
  • hairyface71hairyface71 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I get my rift s 23.5 and box says it's 2019/05.
    First few days was fine....several hours vr diibadaaba and all good.
    After about one week starting to get black screens or 3 dots after rebooting my pc.
    I never get those during gaming or something else , only after booting up pc.....
    Things get back when plugging off and back cables /repairing oculus home and all that s....t.....but not fun, not what i expect vr to be.
    Using startech usb3 pcie card and double checked all usb3 setting and power management things....blaah blaah...
    Yesterday I decided to try beta drivers(1.38).....works very nice as long as i tested not a single problem....but....after i booted my pc later to drive some Nordschleife laps in iRacing things get wonky......4 right touch controllers and rift s is out of dp cable and touch battery drained out even that i changed it.....not fun at all.
    Back to old drivers(1.37) today and things work nicely after all updates.....in this moment i have a working rift s....question is, what about tomorrow and next boot....does it take 1 or 20 minutes to get my vr kicks🙄
    And yeah....i was having those white flashbacks randomly but not often.......glad to know that it's not my head😁
    Feels like somebody is amputeeing my new vr legs.....lol....
    Other than that i like this thing.....i hope that oculus manage to fix this problem......sorry bad english but i think you guys get this😆
  • winjet132winjet132 Posts: 1
    NerveGear

ello, 
    i bought today a Rift S and tryed yesterday to fix my problems. I installed the Software from the website and installed it, in the connect your Rift s screen where it should show the connectors the Programm crashes everytime i plug my rift s in, ive tryed every usb connector of my pc and every Display port Connector of my Graphics Card, i reinstalled the software multiple times, in different versions too, ive already installed a fresh install of Windows 10 too.

today ive tryed another win 10 Version with no success, i Downgraded my graphics driver, Updated my bios and so on, so its definitly a software Problem, my Mainboard only has usb 3.1 and usb 3.1 Gen 2 Ports if this can be a reason. If i cant get the rift to work the next days im gonna get a refund

My Hardware is a Ryzen 7 2700 Cpu With a Asus Strix B450-I Gaming and A GTX 1080 also von asus with A win 10 Pro 64 bit version and 16 gb of ram.

I hope you can help me otherwise im pretty frustrated

Where are you guys seeing a mfg date on the box?
    Don