New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• OrkelOrkel Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Tried 1.38 beta again to see if they fixed the recognition issue, still cannot recognize my headset there at all. Both DP and USB cables are not recognized even when redoing the oculus setup in 1.38.
    Leaving PT and going back to 1.37 fixes it and it works again. I hope they fix this 1.38 issue before releasing it out of beta for all.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    Don't change your USB Power Setting else once it does crash you won't get it to wake up! Will need reset it's defaults and reconnect USB and do Guardian Setup again.

News from Support after 5days! My response...
    "I have followed every case very closely and Users whom reported it being fixed have all used Powered USB PCIe Cards OR a Powered USB Extender. I tried everything except those. I tried a FebSmart Non-Powered USB3.0 Card and it totally lost all tracking. I may try again and make a New Setup in Guardian as a newly added Device. However, in Elite:Dangerous after 1-2hours it goes monochrome then crashes. Whilst in PokerstarsVR it can crash within 5mins. I found out this happens to CV1 Users also (I hadn’t tried mine since) and I found it doesn’t crash if I use another Audio Source e.g. Motherboard’s Onboard OR others say they use Bluetooth Headsets. Although you claim an Audio Issue is fixed in Win10 1903, some Users still have issues and in fact their volumes reduced a lot! Same when they update to your PTC1.38 which you claim fixed some issues.

I run Win1809 with Runtime 1.37 and there is no increase in volume on the RIFT S after 50%. It just gets auto Limited as though it was added to prevent clipping which it isn’t needing due to not getting loud enough. Your Oculus GO/Quest needed it as components were shaken by the vibration. When there is only vocals in the start/end of songs I can hear the volume ramp up much higher. It’s the same when we use enhancements: Bass Boost; Virtualizer; Loudness EQ, it pushes the volume down even more due to the peaks of the lower/higher frequencies.

You must alter the threshold of this Limiter OR just remove it. I can see the potential of the incredible sound this could have but right now it is being restricted, giving us a very poor impression of the RIFT S!

Is this the true reason you did not yet provide HEADPHONE ADD-ONS (earbuds are awful as it alters our own voice!)

If the FIX for working properly (no flashes, monochrome, crashes, loss of tracking) is as I suspect that you built this on PCs with Powered USB Cards then you absolutely MUST TELL US and sort out the Returns of Devices we Ordered that won’t work with it.  ASAP!!!!"

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 563
    Neo
    Also, seems like people have short memories. There were all sorts of threads and comments like today when Rift CV1 launched, when Touch launched, after particular updates, etc. And in time everything was resolved.
    We shall never forget the January 2017 tracking patch !!
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • STZSTZ Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I can't install the PTC update. It hangs on installing oculus after it downloads. Left it at the installing screen for hours.. nothing. Tried 5 times.. all it got me was a ton of internet data used and 5 of the same Rift S headset showing in my android app. 

-Firewall, antivirus etc all turned off. 
    -Windows 10 1903, Ryzen 2700x, Radeon VII, Asus crosshair hero VII Mobo. 
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,809 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2019
    Why are you using the Rift S with an android app ??? 
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    I don't switch OFF my PC but obviously the Controllers are NOT switching OFF after use. I mean how hard is it to fix a simply program and patch it ASAP???

I put on headset and it crashes and auto-restarts Oculus and then shows Controllers are NOT ON! Hmmm, looks like an info feedback issue and possibly connected to a crash too.

NEXT...
    Also I got fast follow up from Support to send Diag Files but sadly are too big. However, mine is no one-off problem for their dodgy Software! @OculusSupport tell your Boss because Support are just sending paid-lip-service emails.
    My response:
    "I only use Windows Defender. At times I run it OFF for Elite:Dangerous to try at least help keeping connections to a 3rd Player when they launch in a 2nd Fighter. That’s a common game issue over the last 2years since that Multicrew feature came out so is not Oculus.

I am not daft and have 4yrs experience in using and fixing Oculus. In fact it is Windows Security Updates which breaks your Game Updates if Oculus was installed (as is the only default directory) in a OS Folder on Drive C: which you as Support also warn us of to avoid using Program Files Folder. So I installed mine to a 2nd Drive along with all Games.

You do know the issue is Audio and USB Power. Although they may both be separate issue as even if using a Powered USB Device, the Audio is still quiet and auto-Limited above 50%.

Seriously you should tell your Boss’s rather than carry on the naïve “OK let’s switch OFF and back on again, OR unplug and plugin again, OR run Setup/Repair again”.

You do have most likely 2 issues: Audio and Power.

For Audio to be fixed you need to alter the threshold on the Limiter OR remove it!

For the Power issue you MUST tell your Users to buy a recommended USB Powered Device and suck up any costs for not getting Returns of non-powered USB/cables etc. If they fall past their 30day Returns date!

SO THIS IS HIGHLY IMPORTANT YOU DO THIS RIGHT AWAY!!!

OR you do have a design flaw which can not be fixed under the existing build.

Respond ASAP before this RIFT S gets returned for a refund. The HP Reverb will replace it and most Users will follow!"

Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    Oh sod off mate. Nothing I post to them is threatening so drop the inciting crap ok!!! And sod off!!!
    I am fucking here to help you and everyone. What the fuck are you doing? Attacking Users for feedback and I'm being true to solving this. Support need to be pushed to prevent further costs NOT drag the hell out of it! Support me or stfu.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 563
    Neo
    ^^^^
    Ya, but the issues can only be fixed by Oculus devs right?  The Oculus support crew can only implement solutions that have been cleared by developers.  It's great you're giving feedback to Oculus, but until the devs release a software fix there's nothing the Support team can do.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • STZSTZ Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Techy111 said:
    Why are you using the Rift S with an android app ??? 
    Because I have a Quest, and the Rift S shows up in the same Oculus app. 

Ahhh makes sense sorry fella.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

@MAC_MAN86 calm down, he wasn't attacking you. All he said was be polite. Not swearing at everyone ok ?

• LomLom Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    This beta patch finaly fixed my black screen error, just for you tu know
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,071 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    For some reason my Rift S is showing three right Touch controllers in the Oculus Desktop app.
    I did a repair of Oculus yesterday evening and that did not fix it either.
    Does not seem to be affecting anything, Touch is working as it should,  only one shows connected.

I tried removing the two unconnected right Touch's showing from the list, but that did not work still showing the three right Touch controllers. 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • devoidx360devoidx360 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited June 2019
    I've had to roll back from 1.38 to 1.37 as I have a strange issue when running this beta build on a clean build of Windows 10 1903.

When not using the Rift S (HMD disconnected or connected to the PC) and playing a non-VR games in Steam or Uplay, my system freezes and requires a hard reset.

Once the reboot has completed, I receive a message from the Oculus software advising that a repair is required. The repair fails and recommends that I restart the PC and try again. This too fails and the only way to restore service is to completely remove all traces of the Oculus software and then re-install it.

When I then play another non-VR game the exact same thing occurs. I can reproduce this situation time and again.

Rolling back to 1.37 fixes the problem.

Note my system has been completely stable until upgrading to 1.38.

Update:
    No issues on 1.37 so far, so this is definitely an issue with 1.38
  • GBKnightGBKnight Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    Posting this here as well, if you are looking for this release to fix controllers locking in place but still rotating.

If you have an RTX card with a virtuallink port (2060, 2070, 2080) get a USB A to C adapter and connect the USB to the virtuallink port. Guaranteed 27 watts that fully powers the headset. 
  • FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    How do I roll back to 1.37?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,071 Valuable Player
    How do I roll back to 1.37?
    Uncheck the PTC in Oculus Desktop app.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Brain Burst
    rolling back didin't help =\ I just get the "no display port connection" issue =\
    Brain Burst
    I'm beyond pissed. I ordered widmo lenses for 79 bucks too and now I'm out that money.
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    GBKnight said:
    Posting this here as well, if you are looking for this release to fix controllers locking in place but still rotating.

If you have an RTX card with a virtuallink port (2060, 2070, 2080) get a USB A to C adapter and connect the USB to the virtuallink port. Guaranteed 27 watts that fully powers the headset. 
    @OculusSupport here is further PROOF that any Powered USB Device fixes the issues. Tell the Oculus DEVs we know about this and Support need to advise of this too to prevent further trials and much wasted time and frustration.
    Your Spec is not correct! You must tell us so we can proceed with Returns for Devices we need exchanged e.g. my non-powered USB3.0 PCIe

HOW LONG MUST THIS DRAG ON??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

(Also posted to FEEDBACK as I always do for all posts as Oculus do not read here)
    ps CRASHFU if you're not banned or left as I can't Tag ya, do not attack me nor others like you said my post was "threatening". Rather go back to school and learn what a threat is! That is not a threat neither yet you may say either!!

• Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    Explain why the OG Rift and Rift S work fine for me without a "Powered USB Device" Mac.
    @MAC_MAN86 his post was not an "attack" I saw nothing in his post that even hinted at an attack. Now your post after his on the other hand, that was an attack no ? Enough of the nonsense. 

• GBKnightGBKnight Posts: 9
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2019
    Explain why the OG Rift and Rift S work fine for me without a "Powered USB Device" Mac.
    So you mave have USB 3.1 Gen 2 port . These have higher bandwidth and wattage. If so then the port is in essence "powered" having higher constant power from my understanding and researc . Hence why the VirtualLink works, its guaranteed wattage where as 3.1 Gen 1 can "go up to" but isnt guaranteed. 

Edit: If I'm not correct or misunderstood something someone please feel free to correct me. 
    3Jane
    GBKnight said:
    So you mave have USB 3.1 Gen 2 port . These have higher bandwidth and wattage. If so then the port is in essence "powered" having higher constant power from my understanding and researc . Hence why the VirtualLink works, its guaranteed wattage where as 3.1 Gen 1 can "go up to" but isnt guaranteed. 

Edit: If I'm not correct or misunderstood something someone please feel free to correct me. 
    Nope. I have 12 USB 3.1 ports. None of them are USB 3.1 gen 2. They are all gen 1 ( standard USB3)
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    With this confusion this needs to be handled by OCULUS DEVs to state the exact correct USB spec. Maybe it is just Flashes and eventual Blackouts (after hours). I have no idea if my new DELL XPS 8930 has Gen2 but I doubt it but my 3.1 works but has those flashes/eventual blackout issues.
    3Jane
    edited June 2019
    3.1 doesn't mean anything in and of its self. You need to know if it's gen 1 or gen 2. USB 3.1 gen 1 is the new name for standard USB 3 ( 5Gps). If the port isn't teal in color and doesn't say gen 2...then it's just USB3, despite saying "3.1".
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019
    Orkel said:
    Tried 1.38 beta again to see if they fixed the recognition issue, still cannot recognize my headset there at all. Both DP and USB cables are not recognized even when redoing the oculus setup in 1.38.
    Leaving PT and going back to 1.37 fixes it and it works again. I hope they fix this 1.38 issue before releasing it out of beta for all.
    Today's attempt at installing 1.38PT still cannot recognize the headset. Both USB and DisplayPort are failing to connect.
    Returning to 1.37 since it works. But god forbid if they release 1.38 before fixing this issue, it'll turn my S into a brick.
    The moment I go back to 1.37 it works. The moment I try 1.38 it becomes unusable/invisible. No matter how many times I switch between 1.37 and 1.38 the results are the same.
    All started after some small update on May 31 on the PT branch.
    When 1.38 first came out, it worked well, but then the 31st update broke it completely.

• kmw0726kmw0726 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    All,

I can't connect my Rift S suddenly and I'm running this version: (worked for 2 weeks)
    Oculus App Version 1.37.0.245188 (1.37.0.245188)

Tried unistalling/reinstalling no luck.

Now what???  Using a RTX2080 TI card...
    Brain Burst
    After sending them logs a week ago from their software. And explaining In depth what I've done to attempt to fix it.

This is what I get. 

Hello,

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I've had a chance to review your case, and I would like to look into our options further for you. To do that I will need the following:

• Your full name
    • Your shipping address
    • Your phone number
    • A picture of the headset serial number, it's on the right side of the headset under the facial interface and starts with "1WMGH "
    • A picture of the unit serial number, it's on the bottom of the black box and starts with "1WMVR"
    • A copy of your retail receipt
      • Please make sure your receipt shows the retailer, date of purchase and item

I see that you had mentioned looking into a refund with the retailer that you purchased the headset from. If you have decided to do that instead, please let me know.

Regards,

Kevin
    Oculus Support

Why do you need any of this? I'm just going to return it for a.refund and consider it later when they fix it.