cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Problems for Oculus Rift S

auxiliaryxx
Explorer
Use this discussion for all problems related to the Oculus Rift S! I have found most solutions for mine which I will be sharing on here as well.
Common Problems: Tracking, Guardian, Setup, Freezing, Snow Pixels, Jittering, Plug Problems, USB 3.0 errors, Game glitches, Camera problems, Headphone static, Some games don't run, Oculus home freezes, Steam vr wants to setup, Speakers make noise, Ipd glitching on horizonal side, fov is small, no sweetspot.

I will tell you how to improve FOV, TRACKING, SWEETSPOT AND PERFORMANCE as best as I can.

Let's get started!
147 REPLIES 147

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
^ is that a joke? Or are you out of your mind. 

Sulenor
Explorer

MAC_MAN86 said:

Sulenor said:

About touch switch on
I played a seat game and don't use the touch,  but in the oculus software, i can see that touch are activated, even if they are in the boxe. And in the home, i can see 2 touch at the position of my head.

So, i don't know if it's Rifts wich wake up the touch, or if they don't shut off since i used it.

About passthrough+
We can't use a binding key or button to switch to the passthrough+

Yes the Controllers do not switch off and can drop dead when at 50% and even kick us out of a Game's focus which can be a crucial moment!

Bind for PASSTHROUGH = 2 taps of the Right Oculus Button and same to come back out 😉

I know that one, but i can't use it. It's for Aerial simulator. When you have a joystick in one hand, a throttle in the other one, and you have to activate a switch on a control pannel, while you are flying at a few meters above the earth, you don't have time to search the Touch in the night, find the button and use it. If you do that, you are dead.  😉

That's why it would be usefull if we can bind a key or a button of our choice.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Likewise all Games should feature an OCULUS STANDARD for RECENTRE by now. Even BIGSCREEN and OCULUS HOME don't use the widely adopted 2 THUMBSTICK BUTTONS!!!

SnoWy24
Honored Guest

SnoWy24 said:

So I got my Oculus Rift S two days ago and I got a few problems, I fixed some of them though.

Alright so, I see alot of people complaining about the black screen issue. Try following this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrfjD3jwqJs It might help you out. If this does not fix it try going to the location you have Oculus installed. Next open go (Support > oculus-drivers) Then simply run the oculus driver app. This should reinstall the drivers. If this doesent help try repairing the Oculus app itself by opening OculusSetup > Repair. Edit: I found one more thing that may help, and that is closing the app and going into task manager and end the "OVRServer_x64.exe" task. After this simply start the app again and it might work.

Another issue I had was that in Steam VR and most VR games I was twitching with zooming in and zooming out. Like it zoomed me in and out fast, it happened quite often. The fix is to go into task manager and give Oculus's "OVRServer_x64.exe" High priority on power management. (Right click > Set Priority > High) I havent seen anyone mention this yet, but if you get that problem I hope this helps.

I got the whitescreen issue as well, where everything suddenly flashes white inside the headset. I havent found a fix for this and I think its a software issue that they have to fix themselves. So yeah lets just hope they come out with a fix soon.

I had a few tracking issues as well but i think giving OVRserver high priority fixed them, cant confirm that at the time im writing this though.

Lastly I got an issue where the screen is tearing when i move around, not when I stand still though. I especially noticed this well in VRChat where when I would move around it would just tear up the picture inside the headset under movement. This applied for everything though, not only VRChat.

If anyone got any fix to the tearing issue please share it, I would really appriciate that. As to everything else I hope someone found what I wrote here helpful, the headset is new so I thought I'd share some bugs and fixes I found here and there.

Fix for tearing issue:
when and if you experience the tearing/jitter/jutter/shadows effect I speak of. Open the oculus debug tool in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
and change the asynchronous spacewarp to ASW Disabled!!!! Clearly what is going on here is a frame rate desync/mismatch!   The rift is 90 hertz hence why it has the 45fps setting there for async, but the rift s is 80 hertz and thus should be using a 40fps setting!!!!  This is a huge oversight by the rift s team and a result of skimping on our hardware and going 80 hertz!   After adjusting this setting I have had no further issues other than still needing this USB hub!  I am very on the fence about keeping this product or not. It is nice but it is not nice at the same time lol.... But now that I know what is causing it the effect I was seeing actually makes sense too...

After making this adjustment I have been able to use my rift s quite enjoyably finally... other than the random re centering and occasional flicker of static and needing to use a separate USB powered hub....

I too also noticed the solution regarding setting the oculus exes to high priority... but it does introduce other unwanted issues as a caveat 😞
6fhtbsc1lzdv.png

Yeah this fixed the screen tearing issue i had, i set it to disabled though. Not sure what difference it makes but it did fix it so ty for that. The picture inside the headset itself is flickering alot when i move and i see like multiplied versions of the same picture, lasting for about 0.1 sec until it becomes normal again. This only happens when i move though, is this normal for the Rift S? Im not really sure how to fix it but its really annoying.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Your settings are too high OR you are limiting them by V-Sync OR FPS Limiter below 80.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Battery Levels is broken in 1.37 and same for CV1...
After 1 Week's use and leaving PC ON over night but closing Oculus I return next day and open Oculus to see the Controllers are reported as "SLEEPING" yet were not used in previous 12hours!
r4ibni2rl8no.png

Using BETA>RESTART OCULUS reports the actual true state of the Controllers which were OFF!
zu2q36p6s4cv.png

Then after 1 more day's use the standard supplied Batteries are reported as 50% with no reporting in between!
Very soon I will get a Warning of Low Battery Life and it will switch Focus from the game (fatal in Elite). Then it will just die!! I will continue from now using the Eneloops but these will last about 4 days even if I don't use them!!!
7ybpaz933qv0.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Oculus, you want my LOGs but the file is too big at 41.7MB and the limit for email is 33MB.
I do not use Google Drive, Cloud, nor Dropbox!
Here are my LOGs which I email a link here to tick box and send a new cable as nobody here has had a fix from these LOGs...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jesus @Techy111 , I/We do think we could make this Thread a Sticky surely mate?

In the meantime Quest is getting new features by Carmack! Has he even used this for even 2 hours?
BATTERY USE
CONTROLLER OFF STATE
CONTROLLER LAG TO DROP
FLASHES
MONOCHROME AFTER A COUPLE HOURS THEN BLACKSCREEN
OTHER GAMES CRASH DUE TO USING ONBOARD AUDIO

BETTER TRACKING TO ACTUALLY PREDICT POSITION RATHER THAN FLIPPING ABOUT SPINNING!
PULLOUT LOSES FOCUS OF GAME & CAN'T DO SEPERATE WINDOWS SO IS USELESS!
NO HOME STRAFING
NO 2 THUMB BUTTON RECENTRE
NO KEY BIND FOR PASS-THROUGH EXCEPT TOUCH BUTTONx2
AUDIO WITH NO LIMITER UNTIL AT 100% NOT 50%
(which reminds me of the Battery Usage is Power OFF at 50% so are linked?)

Carmack get here right now Boss!

hairyface71
Explorer
I get my rift s 23.5 and box says it's 2019/05.

First few days was fine....several hours vr diibadaaba and all good.

After about one week starting to get black screens or 3 dots after rebooting my pc.

I never get those during gaming or something else , only after booting up pc.....

Things get back when plugging off and back cables /repairing oculus home and all that s....t.....but not fun, not what i expect vr to be.

Using startech usb3 pcie card and double checked all usb3 setting and power management things....blaah blaah...

Yesterday I decided to try beta drivers(1.38).....works very nice as long as i tested not a single problem....but....after i booted my pc later to drive some Nordschleife laps in iRacing things get wonky......4 right touch controllers and rift s is out of dp cable and touch battery drained out even that i changed it.....not fun at all.

Back to old drivers(1.37) today and things work nicely after all updates.....in this moment i have a working rift s....question is, what about tomorrow and next boot....does it take 1 or 20 minutes to get my vr kicks?

And yeah....i was having those white flashbacks randomly but not often.......glad to know that it's not my head?

Feels like somebody is amputeeing my new vr legs.....lol....

Other than that i like this thing.....i hope that oculus manage to fix this problem......sorry bad english but i think you guys get this?

winjet132
Honored Guest

ello, 
i bought today a Rift S and tryed yesterday to fix my problems. I installed the Software from the website and installed it, in the connect your Rift s screen where it should show the connectors the Programm crashes everytime i plug my rift s in, ive tryed every usb connector of my pc and every Display port Connector of my Graphics Card, i reinstalled the software multiple times, in different versions too, ive already installed a fresh install of Windows 10 too.

today ive tryed another win 10 Version with no success, i Downgraded my graphics driver, Updated my bios and so on, so its definitly a software Problem, my Mainboard only has usb 3.1 and usb 3.1 Gen 2 Ports if this can be a reason. If i cant get the rift to work the next days im gonna get a refund

My Hardware is a Ryzen 7 2700 Cpu With a Asus Strix B450-I Gaming and A GTX 1080 also von asus with A win 10 Pro 64 bit version and 16 gb of ram.

I hope you can help me otherwise im pretty frustrated