New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Faulty Rift S

SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 85
Hiro Protagonist
I think I got a bad unit.  Everything was working great up until a couple hours ago.  I was playing Skyrim and I noticed the screen flashed what I can only describe as white noise.  It flashed for only a second.  Since then it flashes this white noise once every ten minutes or so.  Doesn't matter which game I'm playing.  I've even seen it on OH.  I hope I didn't get a defective unit.   :(

Comments

• WebbefieldzzWebbefieldzz Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have the exact same issue.
  • WebbefieldzzWebbefieldzz Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Also, when I was on Bigscreen for the first time, I left my room and it closed the oculus app, like everything went black. weird..

• Xenon135Xenon135 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Same here. occasional white flashes on the screen. Maybe its not an hardware issue.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    I remember this when cv1 first launched but it went so I am wondering if it needs software fixes.

i certainly know my nvidia card has also done this once or twice
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 85
    Hiro Protagonist
    vannagirl said:
    I remember this when cv1 first launched but it went so I am wondering if it needs software fixes.

i certainly know my nvidia card has also done this once or twice

I'm hoping this just needs a software fix.  I don't want to have to replace the headset. 
  • CatalpaBowCatalpaBow Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited May 2019
    I have a similar problem
    When the Oculus Rift S is connected to a PC, it will be recognized initially, but after several tens of seconds white noise will appear on the screen and audio and will not be recognized.
    I can not experience VR at all due to this problem.
    This problem also occurred on other PCs

• LameDuckWarriorLameDuckWarrior Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    There definitely is a random (not often in my case) flash that occurs. I also experienced the display going black and also the controllers freezing and screen turning to static but after getting all windows updates and latest gpu driver and rebooting, only the occasional flash remains.
  • rservellorservello Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    I've had the same issue...it's not yours.  I've also had it completely crash a couple times.  The screen goes black but the audio continues the PC game locks up too.  It's very early...what will matter is how quickly they fix these issues.
  • skygunner27skygunner27 Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    I also have seen this "White Static Flash". I exchanged my Rift S yesterday at Bestbuy, because of it. Since then my second Rift S randomly does it too. I was able to randomly replicate this problem on 3 different systems.
    Mine(9900K/2080ti), both son's PC's(one with 8700K/2080ti and the other with 7700K/Maxwell Titan SLI.
    All 3 PC's have the lastest version of W1064 Home(up to date) with standard Windows 10 anti virus, and latest Nvidia driver.

I have never experienced any flashes or glitches of any kind using my PC/CV1, until the Rift S.

https://builds.gg/builds/quadstellar-ghost-964
    Gamerstorm Quadstellar Case, i9 9900K, Gamerstorm Castle 240 RGB AIO, Aorus Master Z390, Aorus Xtreme 2080ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600, 970 Pro 1TB MVNe, 2TB 860 EVO SSD, 2TB 860 Pro SSD, EVGA 1000 G3 SuperNova, AW3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 IPS 120hz Gsync 1900R Curved Display, Razer Mamba Hyperflux, Razer Huntsman Elite, Razer Chroma Base Station, Razer Nommo, Razer Nari Ultimate, Blue Yeti Blackout, Oculus Rift S 
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2019
    It's too bad that this was moved from the general forum to support. Probably because most users won't care to look in support. Since I have seen this problem on 2 brand new Rift S on 3 different computers, there's bound to be other Rift S users with the same Rift S problem. There will be others that encounter this problem and return or exchange like I did. I have submitted a support ticket. I suggest others follow suit, so that Oculus knows they have a bug.

Gamerstorm Quadstellar Case, i9 9900K, Gamerstorm Castle 240 RGB AIO, Aorus Master Z390, Aorus Xtreme 2080ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600, 970 Pro 1TB MVNe, 2TB 860 EVO SSD, 2TB 860 Pro SSD, EVGA 1000 G3 SuperNova, AW3418DW 21:9 3440x1440 IPS 120hz Gsync 1900R Curved Display, Razer Mamba Hyperflux, Razer Huntsman Elite, Razer Chroma Base Station, Razer Nommo, Razer Nari Ultimate, Blue Yeti Blackout, Oculus Rift S 
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's too bad that this was moved from the general forum to support. Probably because most users won't care to look in support. Since I have seen this problem on 2 brand new Rift S on 3 different computers, there's bound to be other Rift S users with the same Rift S problem. There will be others that encounter this problem and return or exchange like I did. I have submitted a support ticket. I suggest others follow suit, so that Oculus knows they have a bug.

My thread wasn't moved.  I posted this in the support forum because that is where it should be.
  • ZaharielZahariel Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    I'll open a ticket tonight when i get home. Strange thing is there were no flashes for the first 3 hours when i first installed it and played Beat Saber. Windows and NVidia drives are all up to date.
    Brain Burst
    My thread wasn't moved.  I posted this in the support forum because that is where it should be.
    Maybe I should stay out of the forums, when I'm using Virtual desktop lol.....

Zahariel said:
    I'll open a ticket tonight when i get home. Strange thing is there were no flashes for the first 3 hours when i first installed it and played Beat Saber. Windows and NVidia drives are all up to date.
    I called a local friend here in Alaska, she is also experiencing the Rift S's random white static flashes. She has 7700K/2070 and says everything is all up to date. She too is submitting a ticket. I see them about once an hour regardless of what I'm doing on Rift S.

• bgast7851bgast7851 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have no idea if my Rift S is defective or not. When I put my headset on and try to play a game, or even at the home screen, I get black edges and the picture is jerky. I have the original Rift and thought that I had sensor issues where I placed them.  I was trying to play Defense Grid 2 while seated in my office and I had the same problems as my new Rift S. I bought the Rift S because it did not use external sensors and thought that it would solve my problem. I also have and Oculus go and Defense Grid 2 plays fine but it doesn't have all the features that I like from a computer powered unit. Please help. I feel like I wasted a lot of money to get a good vr experience.
    Brain Burst

Zahariel said:
    I called a local friend here in Alaska, she is also experiencing the Rift S's random white static flashes. She has 7700K/2070 and says everything is all up to date. She too is submitting a ticket. I see them about once an hour regardless of what I'm doing on Rift S.
    Ticket has gone in - Let's hope that they can see some convergence between our logs that points them to a simple and effective solution. I turned on the watch strap add-on when on the Home screen so hopefully I'll remember to check that when it happens and I can keep track of them, you never know

Fingers crossed!
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2019
    Zahariel said:

Zahariel said:
    Ticket has gone in - Let's hope that they can see some convergence between our logs that points them to a simple and effective solution. I turned on the watch strap add-on when on the Home screen so hopefully I'll remember to check that when it happens and I can keep track of them, you never know

Fingers crossed!

Yes I did the same thing.  Let's hope they find a fix for this problem soon.  This is really ruining my immersion. 
  • christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    I'm getting same problem. Feels like a driver issue, hopefully NVidia will release an update soon.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited May 2019
    Try Disable RIFT S Audio in Settings. There's a bug certainly with WIN1903/1909 but could affect previous versions in some ways. Use other Headphones for now.
    Hiro Protagonist
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Try Disable RIFT S Audio in Settings. There's a bug certainly with WIN1903/1909 but could affect previous versions in some ways. Use other Headphones for now.

First thing I did when I got the headset was turned off the Rift audio.  I prefer my Astro A40 TR audio.  Still get the snow.
    Brain Burst
    Oculus have updated the 'Troubleshooting Tips' section of the Rift-S support pages:

"If you’re seeing snow, static, or a similar visual disturbance in your Rift S headset, try these troubleshooting tips:
    1. Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:
    • Unplug the USB cable from your computer..
    • Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer.
    • First re-plug your USB cable into your computer.
    • Wait 5 seconds, or until the light on your headset comes on.
    • Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable into your computer.
  • Unplug and Replug your Rift S headset. To do this:
    • Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.
    • Unplug the cable from the headset.
    • Wait 5 seconds.
    • Insert the cable back into your headset.
    • Insert the facial interface back into your headset.
  • Restart your Oculus Service. To do this:
    • Open the Oculus app on your computer.
    • Click Settings on the left side of the app.
    • Click Beta at the top of the settings options.
    • Click Restart Oculus.

If these steps do not resolve this behavior, we ask for your patience as we work on firmware improvements that will be ready shortly after launch.

If you continue experiencing issues with your Oculus Rift S display, contact Oculus Support directly. "

Wintermute
    It's as if the Headset has a confused Firmware Update and not cleared the previous one and so needs replugging at Headset. OR is a Win Security Update which is over sensitive to new Hardware as it needs time to INDEX files. So Antivirus=OFF during first use off all Hardware and Software inc. Games/APPs may work as that was the fix to run THE CLIMB!
    Hiro Protagonist
    Zahariel said:
    Oculus have updated the 'Troubleshooting Tips' section of the Rift-S support pages:

"If you’re seeing snow, static, or a similar visual disturbance in your Rift S headset, try these troubleshooting tips:
    1. Disconnect and Reconnect your Rift S from your computer. To do this:
    • Unplug the USB cable from your computer..
    • Unplug the mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable from your computer.
    • First re-plug your USB cable into your computer.
    • Wait 5 seconds, or until the light on your headset comes on.
    • Re-plug your mini DisplayPort or DisplayPort cable into your computer.
  • Unplug and Replug your Rift S headset. To do this:
    • Carefully remove the facial interface from your headset. This will allow you to access the cable.
    • Unplug the cable from the headset.
    • Wait 5 seconds.
    • Insert the cable back into your headset.
    • Insert the facial interface back into your headset.
  • Restart your Oculus Service. To do this:
    • Open the Oculus app on your computer.
    • Click Settings on the left side of the app.
    • Click Beta at the top of the settings options.
    • Click Restart Oculus.

If these steps do not resolve this behavior, we ask for your patience as we work on firmware improvements that will be ready shortly after launch.

If you continue experiencing issues with your Oculus Rift S display, contact Oculus Support directly. "

Thanks for this but I've already tried the steps listed here.  The weird bit is that this "fix" somehow reverted my Rift S back to how it was for the first several hours without the white noise.  Then all of a sudden the white noise started showing up every 5-10 minutes again.
    Hiro Protagonist
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    It's as if the Headset has a confused Firmware Update and not cleared the previous one and so needs replugging at Headset. OR is a Win Security Update which is over sensitive to new Hardware as it needs time to INDEX files. So Antivirus=OFF during first use off all Hardware and Software inc. Games/APPs may work as that was the fix to run THE CLIMB!

I did not have to disable my antivirus to play The Climb.  Nor did I ever have any problems playing that game with the Rift either.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I would like to point out that after installing the latest nVidia drivers 430.86 I am still getting the random snow.
    Wintermute
    OK try to use just USB3.0 or a poorer compatible Driver for USB3.1 like xHCI
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    Got a response after several back and forth discussions about the random snow with support:

KevinD (Oculus Support)

Jun 1, 9:34 AM PDT

Hello XXX,

Thank you for your patience.

I'm currently reviewing your case, and there are some more details that I'd like to gather from you.

Could I get you to see if the issue persists in our Public Test Channel? You can find instructions on joining the PTC by clicking here. IF the issue persists after that please send me the following:

• Your full name
    • Your shipping address
    • Your phone number
    • A picture of the headset serial number, it's on the right side of the headset under the facial interface and starts with "1WMGH "
    • A copy of your retail receipt, or you Oculus order number
      • Please make sure your receipt shows the retailer, date of purchase and item

Please get this to me as soon as you can.

All the best,

Kevin
    Oculus Support

• FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    SO here's my path and the reason I'm getting a refund. 

I run "fix software" it rips 7gb of data from my internet.

I run it, works like a charm. Then I reboot, error comes up that the oculus software can't open. I repair it again. It works but the tracking doesn't. Then it forces an update to the firmware again and now it can't see my cables.

Rift s is complete shit and they don't seem to be fixing it. I would get your refund guys.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2019
    Looks like they will be replacing my cable:

KevinD (Oculus Support)

Jun 3, 2:13 PM PDT

Hello XXX,

I wanted to follow up and let you know that we've processed a replacement for your Rift S cable.

You should receive an email that has shipping information and confirmation shortly.

If you don't see that email within the next few days, or you have any other questions, please let em know.

All the best,

Kevin
    Oculus Support

Wintermute
    Oh what the *?&! We may all just as well request spare cables. By next month the fix may actually arrive huh. Let us know after a week's use how it goes @Sandcracka
    Hiro Protagonist
    MAC_MAN86 said:
    Oh what the *?&! We may all just as well request spare cables. By next month the fix may actually arrive huh. Let us know after a week's use how it goes @Sandcracka

Sure thing.  Here's to hope that it works.