Glasses ? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Glasses ?

MontyFlangeMontyFlange Posts: 10
NerveGear
Well the glasses thing that comes with it is about as useful as a chocolate ashtray. Is there any better ones about yet ? 

Comments

• DreaglegDreagleg Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    What's your issue with it? Works for me. 
  • MontyFlangeMontyFlange Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Dreagleg said:
    It pushed my glasses to hard into my nose, glad it works for you, no idea how that helps me though 
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dreagleg said:
    It pushed my glasses to hard into my nose, glad it works for you, no idea how that helps me though 

There is a button on the bottom of the headset that allows you to move it away from your face.
  • DreaglegDreagleg Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Dreagleg said:
    Just letting you know from another glasses wearer that it's not a universal problem. You're not going to get help unless you state what the actual problem is. 🙄

Have you tried the above? Or even using it without the spacer? I assumed just because I wore glasses that I had to use the spacer, but it's not 100% necessary depending on the size/shape of your glasses.
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    Dreagleg said:
    I assumed just because I wore glasses that I had to use the spacer, but it's not 100% necessary depending on the size/shape of your glasses.
    I just ordered new glasses yesterday having not really needing them for many years. I have near perfect vision in one eye, but slightly long sighted in the other. I was a little disappointed thinking I would need to start using the glasses spacer and my FOV being reduced, so I'm quite pleased to see that potentially they may fit inside the headset with no spacer! I haven't gone for large frames or lenses like some people like, so hopefully I won't need the spacer? They are 138mm wide and lens height is 32mm (frame will probably add a couple more mm only)
  • atkinsonlineatkinsonline Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wear glasses and for some reason they don’t seem to work as well in the Quest as in the Go. I need to try them without the spacer. 
    I’ve ordered some optical lens for the Quest which I’m really looking  forward to.  I have some contact lens that work in the rift but I’m yet to try them in the Quest. A bit of a pain to put the in just to use the Quest. 
  • DeadaceDeadace Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    I can wear my glasses without the spacer, so it's definietly possible.
    Nexus 6

I’ve ordered some optical lens for the Quest which I’m really looking  forward to.
    Where did you order these from? The Oculus Quest support page for my region directs me to:
     https://www.framesdirect.com/virtuclear-lens-inserts-for-oculus-go.html 

But these are for the Go not Quest?
    NerveGear
    The button on the bottom just moves them from side to side not back and forth. I have  complicated lenses so spending £800 on lenses to fit a £400 toy is out . My frames are quite thick and the lenses are deep , but according to the sizes they gave they should have fitted. The bridge of my nose is hurting today. So much I'm thinking of returning the unit as I can't wear it :( 
    Nexus 6
    The button on the bottom just moves them from side to side not back and forth. I have  complicated lenses so spending £800 on lenses to fit a £400 toy is out . My frames are quite thick and the lenses are deep , but according to the sizes they gave they should have fitted. The bridge of my nose is hurting today. So much I'm thinking of returning the unit as I can't wear it :( 
    You may find the replacement interface and foam pads by VRCover more comfortable, but unfortunately they currently don’t start shipping orders until 24th June! VRCover support has always been very good for me too, so you could drop them an email with the dimensions of your specs and see if their product will suit. I’m sure they’ll get back to you pretty promptly. 

https://vrcover.com/product/oculus-quest-foam-and-interface-basic-set/
    Hiro Protagonist
    enigma01 said:

I’ve ordered some optical lens for the Quest which I’m really looking  forward to.
    Where did you order these from? The Oculus Quest support page for my region directs me to:
     https://www.framesdirect.com/virtuclear-lens-inserts-for-oculus-go.html 

But these are for the Go not Quest?
    This seems to be a popular one

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-quest-prescription-lens-adapters/

I went for this one as it is closer to me and they were good at responding when I emailed some questions

https://vroptician.com/

Both of these now say they are in stock. I have never used this type of lens before so I've no idea how good they are. The price is reasonable to allow me to try them.

NerveGear
    edited May 26
    Not able to get my lenses in these things. Can't get my script made up. To 'complicated' ' 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Why not email one of the companies that create lenses for VR headsets.  Tell them your prescription values to check if they can make them for the Quest and get the price. The site I used (see above) charges a flat fee of £59 for all headsets. Which is a long way from the £800 you mention. 
    Nexus 6
    The site I used (see above) charges a flat fee of £59 for all headsets. Which is a long way from the £800 you mention. 
    They aren’t actually a flat fee right? Once you add complex high prescription the price shoots up. I was looking for my dad, one of the companies doesn’t even go up to his prescription and the other company would be £220!
    Hiro Protagonist
    enigma01 said:
    The site I used (see above) charges a flat fee of £59 for all headsets. Which is a long way from the £800 you mention. 
    They aren’t actually a flat fee right? Once you add complex high prescription the price shoots up. I was looking for my dad, one of the companies doesn’t even go up to his prescription and the other company would be £220!
    Fair enough. I just thought it was worth emailing them your prescription and getting a quote.
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Dreagleg said:
    I take it you removed the foam first & placed the spacer between it and the lenses? I wasn't sure how to fit the spacer at first myself until I looed at the setup guide. I was amazed how well it worked.
    I've had the Rift for two years & had to buy some smaller glasses to wear with that & they constantly fog up. I wouldhave liked to have had a spacer with Rift too.

ENIGMA01...  I am short sighted & need glasses for the Quest / Rift. 
    But if you are long sighted (& only slightly) then do you need glasses for it?

- Steve
    Nexus 6
    Fair enough. I just thought it was worth emailing them your prescription and getting a quote.
    Still may give them a go for myself, I don’t have such a complex prescription. Gonna wait and try them with my new glasses when I pick them up first. I’ve also ordered the VRCover interface so will try that too. I had the VRCover interface for my Rift, and my dad tried it with their ‘Comfort’ foam pad with his glasses and found it very comfortable. 
    Nexus 6
    I say slightly... but it’s +3.75 in my left eye. Typing this post on my phone right now I can see the text very clear with both eyes working together, but if I close my right eye I struggle to read the text. I was wondering why some of the custom lenses websites was saying to use distance prescription. When you have the headset on, even though your eyes are near to the screen does it give you perception you are looking into the distance? I do struggle to get a 100% clear image in my Quest and have to Max the ipd slider to get best clarity (my far pd is 70 and the quest is meant to be 72mm Max), and my eyes get strained after about 45 mins. 
  • SteveG7RTASteveG7RTA Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    enigma01 said:
    I say slightly... but it’s +3.75 in my left eye. Typing this post on my phone right now I can see the text very clear with both eyes working together, but if I close my right eye I struggle to read the text. I was wondering why some of the custom lenses websites was saying to use distance prescription. When you have the headset on, even though your eyes are near to the screen does it give you perception you are looking into the distance? I do struggle to get a 100% clear image in my Quest and have to Max the ipd slider to get best clarity (my far pd is 70 and the quest is meant to be 72mm Max), and my eyes get strained after about 45 mins. 
    I personally also thought you need distance glasses. I need glasses for driving so I need them for VR. Without them, it’s a bit of a blur but then my eyes are bad (-4.25 & -8.5)
    If you struggle to get a clear image then maybe you are right & glasses will help.
    NerveGear
    edited June 2
    Hiro Protagonist
    enigma01 said:
    Yes it is the distance prescription values required for vr lenses. 
  • useri7useri7 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I use glasses without this distance holder but I put protection film on the lenses to avoid scratches from my glasses. 
    Hiro Protagonist
    My lenses for the Quest have left the company in Germany on way to UK.  Could be up to 3 weeks to arrive apparently. But that may be due to Brexit!
    NerveGear
    Well it seems I've now got a free Quest :) So I'm going to ask them for the 3D files for the glasses extender and see if I can design and make a better suited one for me 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just as a follow-up, the optical lenses I ordered from https://vroptician.com/
    were sent on 29th from Germany to the UK but got held up somewhere last Thursday and arrived today.  I did not bother to order lenses for my Rift and Vive but decided to order for the Quest and I'm really pleased I did.  Although the Quest is quite glasses friendly, I still find that glasses steam up and my eyelashes soon touch the glasses and make them difficult to see through.  The lenses are a revelation and make VR much more pleasant.  Well recommended.  I even tried contact lenses for the Rift but for me it's a pain to put them in just for VR as I have to remove them when out of VR to be able to read.
  • laudbrianlaudbrian Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I've been using these magnetic lens prescription adapter inserts as they have totally changed my VR experience comfort wise, no more scratches or fog. Easy to remove if you're sharing with other users as the wife and kid have perfect eyesight. They are half the price of competitors WidomoVR, VR Optician and 3D printed just like the rest of them. All you need are these magnetic adapters https://www.etsy.com/listing/710848026/oculus-quest-rift-s-magnetic and $9.95 prescription lens from Zenni