cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trover Saves the Universe - reviews and impressions - an amazing VR experience!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Trailer:

Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051200/Trover_Saves_the_Universe/

ABOUT THIS GAME

From the co-creator of Rick and Morty comes Trover Saves the Universe.

Your dogs have been dognapped by a beaked lunatic named Glorkon who stuffed them into his eye holes and is using their life essence to destroy the universe. You're partnered with Trover, a little purple eye-hole monster who isn’t a huge fan of working or being put in the position of having to save the universe. He’s also not that big a fan of you quite frankly, and neither am I. (Jk, you’re great)

Only you and Trover can save everything in this bizarre comedy adventure, created by Justin Roiland!

• A comedy adventure filled with combat, platforming, puzzles, and morally questionable choices. See how the best intentions can go horribly awry.

• You control Trover's movements, but not his mouth. He’s got a lot to say about what’s going on in the game.

• Travel the cosmos to experience a variety of weird alien planets and bizarre characters with big personalities.

• Upgrade Trover AND YOURSELF with new abilities to (hopefully) defeat Glorkon while evading awkward situations.

• You'll be immersed in weirdness, no matter which display you use. Switch between TV, monitor or VR headset displays* whenever you want.

*Additional hardware required.

MATURE CONTENT DESCRIPTION

The developers describe the content like this:

Blood and Gore
Drug Reference
Mature Humor
Strong Language
Violence

rzp6tea27sk5.jpg

sg8719cpo0og.jpg

kt2s980gwbie.jpg

5j64o10vxdmi.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

75 REPLIES 75

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
87/100 according to IGN:
"Trover Saves the Universe is a short and sweet VR platformer wrapped in one of the most ridiculous video game stories you’ll ever see. Justin Roiland and Squanch Games have done an excellent job of taking the ludicrous, freeform humor of Rick and Morty and molding it around a straightforward but enjoyable 3D brawler – even if it’s lacking the complex and well-crafted plots the best episodes of that show are known for. It loses something when played in 2D, but takes such great advantage of its unique VR mechanics that it’s one anyone (or at least anyone over 17, given its rating) with a headset should try."

90/100 - Shacknews:
"Trover Saves the Universe is an ambitious and solid first outing from the team at Squanch Games. There’s a real game here with some actual replayability thanks to hidden power babies, a few branching paths, and the crazy amount of voice acting that went into it. It looks good, it plays good, and it is guaranteed to make you laugh out loud several times during your adventure. At a price point of $29.99, you’re getting quite a deal considering the amount of content being delivered, especially for a VR experience. While Trover has a few flaws, the overall package executes what it sets out to accomplish remarkably well."

This is the PS4 version - Metascore 77 right now - find more reviews here:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/trover-saves-the-universe/critic-reviews

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

CrashFu
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

Tomorrow is Trover Day - only on SteamVR - 20GB, I already bought the game  o:)

Still not true.  It's launching on Epic Store tomorrow as well, and still can be purchased there for $16.99.. nearly half the price of the Steam version.

For anyone worried about supporting the game's developers, that difference in price is being covered entirely by Epic, Trover's devs still get the same amount they would if you bought it elsewhere... 

Actually, no, that's not true. Epic only takes 12% of the profits of any sale, compared to Valve's 30%...  so you'd actually be supporting the devs more by buying it for less on Epic Store. 
:wink:

I'm buying it now, myself.  It'll be the first VR game I've run off the Epic Store, so I can make sure there isn't any weird catch (like how Viveport requires you to install Steam and SteamVR)
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

CrashFu said:

RuneSR2 said:

Still not true.  It's launching on Epic Store tomorrow as well, and still can be purchased there for $16.99.. nearly half the price of the Steam version.

For anyone worried about supporting the game's developers, that difference in price is being covered entirely by Epic, Trover's devs still get the same amount they would if you bought it elsewhere... 

Actually, no, that's not true. Epic only takes 12% of the profits of any sale, compared to Valve's 30%...  so you'd actually be supporting the devs more by buying it for less on Epic Store. 

I'm buying it now, myself.  It'll be the first VR game I've run off the Epic Store, so I can make sure there isn't any weird catch (like how Viveport requires you to install Steam and SteamVR)

My bad, yes it's also available in the Epic Store. As I'm considering getting the Index, I'm thinking there might be advantages getting the Steam version, but of course the Epic version may be the same.

CrashFu
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:

CrashFu said:

RuneSR2 said:

My bad, yes it's also available in the Epic Store. As I'm considering getting the Index, I'm thinking there might be advantages getting the Steam version, but of course the Epic version may be the same.

Interesting to note, there's a FAQ on the (Epic) store page for the game, stating that it will support not only gamepad, but also Touch and the Index Controllers as well.   But apparently not the Vive Wands, because they just don't have enough mappable buttons.
:tongue:

The list of supported headsets also lists Vive, Rift, and Index.   Rift-S isn't specifically listed, but I assume it will work just fine.

I'll be the guinea pig tomorrow..  if I have any trouble with the Epic Store version, or specifically using Rift-S, I'll let you all know.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

CrashFu said:
Interesting to note, there's a FAQ on the (Epic) store page for the game, stating that it will support not only gamepad, but also Touch and the Index Controllers as well.   But apparently not the Vive Wands, because they just don't have enough mappable buttons.
:tongue:

The list of supported headsets also lists Vive, Rift, and Index.   Rift-S isn't specifically listed, but I assume it will work just fine.

I'll be the guinea pig tomorrow..  if I have any trouble with the Epic Store version, or specifically using Rift-S, I'll let you all know.

Support for Touch and Knuckles is awesome, didn't see that one coming - having to use a gamepad was my main argument for not buying this game. Looking forward to install it in 5 hours!

PS. I think CV1 is the winner here when it comes to audio - compared to Rift-S and Index. The language in Trover may not exactly be something you want your spouse or kids to hear 😄  

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Support for Touch and Knuckles is awesome, didn't see that one coming - having to use a gamepad was my main argument for not buying this game. Looking forward to install it in 5 hours!

PS. I think CV1 is the winner here when it comes to audio - compared to Rift-S and Index. The language in Trover may not exactly be something you want your spouse or kids to hear 😄  

I picked it up on Steam too. Looking forward to checking it out in 4 hours. Hope it's hilarious. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems like it's just a 3.1GB download, I'm ready for my VR language lesson later tonight  o:)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Trover is also just now available in the Oculus Store. Kinda annoying that it just pops up like out of nowhere, no way to plan ahead... 

pyroth309
Visionary
yea I played a bit, it's not real VR controls. It's like some of the older VR games that let you use Touch but you're basically using it like a Gamepad... No real benefit to it at this point. Game does look awesome in my Odyssey. Lots of vivid colors. 

Wildt
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

yea I played a bit, it's not real VR controls. It's like some of the older VR games that let you use Touch but you're basically using it like a Gamepad... No real benefit to it at this point. Game does look awesome in my Odyssey. Lots of vivid colors. 

I'm hoping it'll look crisp AF on my reverb :smiley:
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb