New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

Comments

• JohnnyMac63JohnnyMac63 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Gotta say Love the rift s despite the software issues. Took the update and...really the only issue on my system seems to be black screen when it comes out of sleep. Found the mess called fallout 4 was unplayable with stutter,but will blame that more on steam. (the fix by the way open composite, now plays nice) I understand there are a lot of variables with systems  and problems can arrise but I have to say I'm a little more than disappointed and questioned my decision to turf the rift for the latest and greatest. My biggest letdown besides the software, which in time will be fixed, is the sound. This, to me is the worst decision they made. You would think of all company's in the world that Facebook would know their consumer base, obviously they didn't run that algorithm.
  • will.stanfield.545will.stanfield.545 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    i feel your pain bro this sucks been having probs worked for a couple days now it will not detect the headset will not track sensors its fucking wack
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,212
    3Jane
    How can you know when it was manufactured?
    Does not matter. I got a launch one,works fine besides occasional white flash. I doubt there's a " bad batch".
  • nickyb78nickyb78 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Got a new cable hasnt fixed it and doubt a new headset will be any different so im getting a refund. Cheers oculus its been emotional lol but its on to the valve index for me.
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    @OculusSupport why hasn't RIFT S got PREDICTIVE TRACKING whilst QUEST has???
    Proof it hasn't is the jumps when Touch are close together OR close to our headset OR out of range like looking up and they spin by your chest.
  • rickyleung90rickyleung90 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    The thing worked for a day then it stops working again. Black screen forever. Ordered a powered usb hub and see if that works. If that doesn't work it will be returned.
  • ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 297 Oculus Staff
    Hey all - we had an update to the PTC (1.38.0.252554) go out a couple days ago. I'm seeing a couple comments here about receiving and trying that update, but I'm trying to get an updated feel from the forum community to the team as to how things are going for you on this new PTC update. If you have tried the PTC in the past couple days, could you please comment here and let us if this latest PTC update (1.38.0.252554) has improved things for you?

User feedback is vital to our software release process, so please make sure you continue to use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus software (bottom left corner) for any issues you are encountering. Thank you!
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    Hey all - we had an update to the PTC (1.38.0.252554) go out a couple days ago. I'm seeing a couple comments here about receiving and trying that update, but I'm trying to get an updated feel from the forum community to the team as to how things are going for you on this new PTC update. If you have tried the PTC in the past couple days, could you please comment here and let us if this latest PTC update (1.38.0.252554) has improved things for you?

User feedback is vital to our software release process, so please make sure you continue to use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus software (bottom left corner) for any issues you are encountering. Thank you!
    It certainly appears to be positive, I can't remember any screen 'static flashes' since installing it :)
    I do have rapidly reproducing Right Controllers though....

Still works normally though :)
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    edited June 2019

252554 works about the same as 1.37. There's still unfixed issues like static screen flash, left controller randomly losing tracking, and general tracking wonkiness (like controllers close to eachother start glitching out even if there is no occlusion), but 1.38 was never going to fix those afaik.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,809 Volunteer Moderator
    Everytime I see your screen it reminds me of rabbits for some reason ? ;)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,191
    Wintermute
    Techy111 said:
    Everytime I see your screen it reminds me of rabbits for some reason ? ;)
    I do keep them seperate when they are not in use...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • RG4520RG4520 Posts: 18
    NerveGear

Fully updated to the most recent 1.38.0.252554. As before, everything works flawlessly for me except for the static flashes which still occur about once to twice every 30 minutes. I've used 3.1 Gen 1 slots. I've used 3.1 Gen 2 slots. I've used the inateck card you guys used to recommend. I've used the USB C Virtual Link on my 2080ti. Static flashes the exact same way for all of them. I've exchanged headset at my retailer multiple times. Flashes the exact same every time.

ShowbizDonkey to date you are the first and only person associated with Oculus to even suggest it's a KNOWN issue, let alone anything about what causes it and where your teams are in terms of a solution. 

Please, can you give us ANY hint as to what the hell might be causing this? 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,071 Valuable Player

Everything great for me with this latest version.
    I only get the very occasional quick white flashes that I have been always getting.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited June 2019
    Haven't noticed much difference with the new patch;  Still getting the occasional static-flash. :smile:

edit:  Wait, hold on... I got prompted for another Oculus update immediately after making this post, lol.    Maybe I spoke too soon?
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • OrkelOrkel Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    Patch 1.38.0.253916 just updated on PT. What's new?
    NerveGear
    Static flashes just as frequent (if not more so) on 1.38.0.253916
    Wintermute
    Perhaps @ShowbizDonkey if the DEVs simply fix these things here then it may operate properly...

BATTERY USEAGE LEVEL is either 100% OR 50% OR DEAD/OFF
    CONTROLLER OFF STATE STAYS SLEEP INSTEAD OF OFF UNTIL A REBOOT/RESTART OCULUS
    ONBOARD AUDIO LIMTER IS SET AT 50% SO IS WORKING ON CONSTANTLY, NOT JUST PEAKS

Try that and get back to us ok - Thanks ;)

@RG4520

Out of who knows how many tens of thousands of users, if only hundreds are having serious problems, that's a pretty successful product launch.  Especially since people don't generally keep quiet if they're having issues with a product  (man, do they not keep quiet about it)

If Oculus knew what was causing this bug, it would already be fixed! And they can't exactly give us an ETA until they figure that out.  Do you not know how bug-fixing works? 
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Wintermute
    edited June 2019
    Here's the only 4th state of BATTERY USAGE now at 25% and it lost Tracking & crashed! (so is 100%, 50%, 25% (dies) and DEAD/OFF with supplied batteries lasting 1week - now I carry on with Eneloops from here)
    The report state now does not follow actual readings gradually. FIX it and the other 2 above and you may be onto solving any memory leaks which may solve other issues of Flashes/Blackscreens.

Wintermute
    Come on. It's so obvious if there are actual recognised faults as I say...
    "BATTERY USEAGE LEVEL is either 100% OR 50% OR DEAD/OFF
    CONTROLLER OFF STATE STAYS SLEEP INSTEAD OF OFF UNTIL A REBOOT/RESTART OCULUS
    ONBOARD AUDIO LIMTER IS SET AT 50% SO IS WORKING ON CONSTANTLY, NOT JUST PEAKS"
    then these create lower performance. It's so simple! Hence White flashes and eventual Blackscreen crashes.
    NerveGear
    CrashFu said:

@RG4520

Out of who knows how many tens of thousands of users, if only hundreds are having serious problems, that's a pretty successful product launch.  Especially since people don't generally keep quiet if they're having issues with a product  (man, do they not keep quiet about it)

If Oculus knew what was causing this bug, it would already be fixed! And they can't exactly give us an ETA until they figure that out.  Do you not know how bug-fixing works? 
    I know how communication works, and there's been none. 
  • RosgilliesRosgillies Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    Latest update in now but still periodic white flashes persist. Love my rift s too but I would like to see some communication from the Devs as RG4520 says. Cant understand their silence.
  • philippe.heroux.58philippe.heroux.58 Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm still getting static flash every couple minutes.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 563
    Neo
    Awesome, tell us the investigation is still ongoing and it'll probably be the latter half of June/early July and let US make the judgement call on whether to keep the product or return it for now.

They've already done that.  They stated they're aware of the static flash and are looking into it.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    @RG4520 -  You've made 13 posts in this forum in little over a week. 11 demanding an immediate fix for this one small bug   (and 1 just ranting at me for trying to talk some sense into you)

In case you didn't notice, from the first post in this thread, Oculus is aware of the issue and they're working on it.   They've already released an attempted fix, and their patches take a while to roll out to everyone.  So calm down. Spamming the forums with the same complaint over and over and over again isn't going to make the bug-fixing process go any faster.   (And neither is returning your unit to the store for a new one three times in one week.  Seriously?  Whatever retail store you're going to is likely going to ban you if you keep abusing their exchange policy like that.)

Honestly, if you don't have the patience to wait even a week or two for fixes to launch-day bugs, you should not be buying ANYTHING at launch.   And I don't mean that as a put-down, it's just the way it is.   Tolerating launch-day bugs is a big part of being an early adopter, and not everyone has the patience for that.  Someone like you should really wait a few months, at least, before buying any new tech product.  You'd be happier that way.
  • jfmarsicanojfmarsicano Posts: 1
    NerveGear

I have the same issue.  Display starts working then after a minute or 2 it throws this error.  I do the support trick og unplugging and replugging usb and display port and after 3 or 4 times it comes back.  Very frustrating.  Installed the beta before and it made it worse.  Hoping to apply 1.38.0.253916 and this will be solved.  If not it is going back to bestbuy.  
  • FeralReaperFeralReaper Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    I wouldn't mind the static flash. I just wanted my flippin thing to work.
  • harke69harke69 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    hello ! any news about the tracking lost and white snow ?