cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Anonymous
Not applicable
It was a temp fix on CV1 until their Software prevented over hogging same Cores. I will be trying this if after the newly installed USB3.0 PCIe FebSmart with Renasas Driver fails. (same one used by Startech)

GrOOvKe_Be
Honored Guest
i have the same problem brand new rift S ... should i RMA it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

i have the same problem brand new rift S ... should i RMA it?

I personally would hang in there a little longer and see if a firmware update addresses it.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Yep I've been having those (rather rare) random flashes too since day 1, but can live with them (for now) while waiting for official fix. Hopefully cable replacement is not needed.

It might be related to this: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/685356/#Comment_685356 but I'm not gonna change those settings myself.

Also after reseating the cable on the headset side (fully disconnecting and putting it back) may have fixed the problem for me.

edit: ...or not - flashes are still there.

wooliudo
Honored Guest
i just got it yesterday and can report that i'm having the same issue. On GPU (1080ti) driver version 430.86 with latest firmware for the headset

on top of that, i'm also having constant tracking jitters as well. The first time setup wasn't smooth either. It couldn't track the controllers position and thus I couldn't set the floor height (the floor was sitting above my chest). Really frustrating experience to be honest

ShocksVR
Superstar
"Jitters and stuttering" can be caused by hardware monitoring software, as they it creates additional strain on your hardware that's more noticeable while in VR.

If you have anything like MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precison, or anything like that be sure to disable it.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Yobiwan29
Adventurer
This is what it looks like in the headset itself. It hasn't been easy to take this shot but here it is. I just sent an email to the technical staff with the original short video. I can't do much now. My 3rd Rift S has the same issue, so I suppose it is not related to the headset hardware. 960zvddgzw9z.jpg
Oculus Quest 2 & 3 - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge - i9 9900K - 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz - RTX 3080

SLM101
Protege

I've noticed that i can replicate this problem using Fallout 4 VR. Just browsing the menu on the title screen for 2-3mins will show the white flash without fail.

ShocksVR
Superstar

I understand the annoyance with the static flash, but the Uservoice is a suggestion page for new features; it is NOT the appropriate place for "pleas fix this bug" complaints.

You can instead use these forums or use the Feedback option of the Oculus desktop software to give bug feedback: 

What we have now is a bug (that I also encounter while using my S). Oculus are well aware of the issue and have stated they are looking into the static flash bug.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S