cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Screen goes black while using it

MJehle01
Protege
Hey everyone,

i've seen the problem described in a few threads. But it seems no one has a good solution. I've got the new Rift S. But after using it a while (between a few seconds and a minute) the screen starts to flicker and then goes black. The simulation is still running. I can see it on my monitor and hear the sound.

I already tried
  1. Unplug/Replug DisplayPort and USB
  2. Newest Nvidia drivers (from the nvidia website)
  3. Newest USB drivers
  4. Windows Updates (Audio seems lost since updating to windows 1903. Would not recommend it)
  5. Power settings to the highest
  6. Do not allow PC to deactivate USB to save power
  7. Remove the facial interface and unplug/replug the cable on the rift side
I contacted the support yesterday but they have not answered yet. Probably very busy right now...

Anyone with the same problem? Any more ideas are appreciated
46 REPLIES 46

MJehle01
Protege
Hey @Oglesauto. Did you find any other suggestions or options that you have tried related to the problem?

I just activated the "Public Test Channel" and got a bunch of updates. App version is 1.38.0.250171 right now. The problem, sadly, still remains. The flickering seems reduced but the screen still goes black after a minute or so.

MJehle01
Protege
Got a reply from Oculus support today. They asked for the Rift S serial number and my adress so they can send me a new cable. They did not mention the log files i sent them.

In the mean time I installed a USB 3.0 PCIe card and plugged the Rift into one of those USB ports because i found some posts where that solved the problem (USB not able to deliver enough power or something like that). This also did not help.

MJehle01
Protege
Still got the black screens. But a Windows update seems to have brought back the sound today.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Computer specs would help... Including motherboard/gpu/psu brand/model, the type of casing where your computer is running and number of monitors you're using. If running more than 1 monitor, tell what you see when you press left windows key + P. Also does your gpu have power connector and if so, is it connected to a wire coming from psu?

MJehle01
Protege
@sakariaura Sorry for the delay. I was rather busy.

This is my hardware:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K (4x4 GHz)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
Graphic card: GTX 980Ti
RAM: 16 GB
PSU: Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Yes: The graphic card has a direct power supply from the PSU via 8-pin PEG.

I have a 4K Acer Monitor and a FullHD Monitor. I think i tried every combination. Only one monitor and the Rift, disable G-Sync, lower the resolution, connect via DisplayPort or HDMI, different DisplayPorts.

If i press Win+P it says "Computer only"

MJehle01
Protege
Got the new cable from Oculus support. No difference.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
This is really a longshot, but... when you tried with one monitor
and the rift did you test rift with 4K or FullHD monitor? If you tested
with 4K monitor could you test also with only FullHD and rift connected.

Most importantly - make sure that only devices which are physically connected to graphics card are one rift s + one monitor*.

*) generally as long win+p doesn't say extend or duplicate, you should be fine even
with 2 monitors connected simultaneously - however some have reported that _in some cases_ just by connecting secondary monitor you might end up having black screens on rift s.

If this doesn't work - 
personally I believe that it might be wise to test your rift s on some
other computer to see if it works at all. That way you could get some
leverage while talking with the support. I am sure they sort this out
eventually, but would probably get you easy pass through the "possible
user error"-filter while they are trying to figure what they can fix
with software and who needs replacement hardware.

MJehle01
Protege
I tested with both monitors (4K and Rift and after that FullHD and Rift)

MJehle01
Protege
This is weird. I just noticed that the Windows power options jump rapidly between "balanced" and "high performance" when the screen starts to flicker. The jumping seems synchronized with the flickering.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
Wow... that certainly should not be happening 🙂 Don't even think that windows itself can alter those settings. However there are several other programs which have access to alter power settings and clock speeds... New direction of investigation ?-)