Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Sandcracka
Adventurer

oculus is dumb 
their software is broken , need to repear all time, take a lot of time for nothing
update firmware each time !  and after we cross finger for all work 

it is the time to boycut this fucking company 

i go with valve index , i not want more longer this oculus asshole dumb company and i hope people understand ho wis the fail with their annoying product ! 
they MADE  craps, and this company is a scams 

I thought you returned yours already.  Why are you still here?

JohnnyMac63
Explorer
Gotta say Love the rift s despite the software issues. Took the update and...really the only issue on my system seems to be black screen when it comes out of sleep. Found the mess called fallout 4 was unplayable with stutter,but will blame that more on steam. (the fix by the way open composite, now plays nice) I understand there are a lot of variables with systems  and problems can arrise but I have to say I'm a little more than disappointed and questioned my decision to turf the rift for the latest and greatest. My biggest letdown besides the software, which in time will be fixed, is the sound. This, to me is the worst decision they made. You would think of all company's in the world that Facebook would know their consumer base, obviously they didn't run that algorithm.

will_stanfield_
Honored Guest
i feel your pain bro this sucks been having probs worked for a couple days now it will not detect the headset will not track sensors its fucking wack

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar

How can you know when it was manufactured?

Does not matter. I got a launch one,works fine besides occasional white flash. I doubt there's a " bad batch".

nickyb78
Protege
Got a new cable hasnt fixed it and doubt a new headset will be any different so im getting a refund. Cheers oculus its been emotional lol but its on to the valve index for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@OculusSupport why hasn't RIFT S got PREDICTIVE TRACKING whilst QUEST has???
Proof it hasn't is the jumps when Touch are close together OR close to our headset OR out of range like looking up and they spin by your chest.

rickyleung90
Explorer
The thing worked for a day then it stops working again. Black screen forever. Ordered a powered usb hub and see if that works. If that doesn't work it will be returned.

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hey all - we had an update to the PTC (1.38.0.252554) go out a couple days ago. I'm seeing a couple comments here about receiving and trying that update, but I'm trying to get an updated feel from the forum community to the team as to how things are going for you on this new PTC update. If you have tried the PTC in the past couple days, could you please comment here and let us if this latest PTC update (1.38.0.252554) has improved things for you?

User feedback is vital to our software release process, so please make sure you continue to use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus software (bottom left corner) for any issues you are encountering. Thank you!

RattyUK
Trustee

Hey all - we had an update to the PTC (1.38.0.252554) go out a couple days ago. I'm seeing a couple comments here about receiving and trying that update, but I'm trying to get an updated feel from the forum community to the team as to how things are going for you on this new PTC update. If you have tried the PTC in the past couple days, could you please comment here and let us if this latest PTC update (1.38.0.252554) has improved things for you?

User feedback is vital to our software release process, so please make sure you continue to use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus software (bottom left corner) for any issues you are encountering. Thank you!

It certainly appears to be positive, I can't remember any screen 'static flashes' since installing it 🙂
I do have rapidly reproducing Right Controllers though....

nrxrhm7bs49y.jpg
Still works normally though 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Orkel
Adventurer

252554 works about the same as 1.37. There's still unfixed issues like static screen flash, left controller randomly losing tracking, and general tracking wonkiness (like controllers close to eachother start glitching out even if there is no occlusion), but 1.38 was never going to fix those afaik.