Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Everytime I see your screen it reminds me of rabbits for some reason ? 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RattyUK
Trustee

Techy111 said:

Everytime I see your screen it reminds me of rabbits for some reason ? 😉

I do keep them seperate when they are not in use...
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all - we had an update to the PTC (1.38.0.252554) go out a couple days ago. I'm seeing a couple comments here about receiving and trying that update, but I'm trying to get an updated feel from the forum community to the team as to how things are going for you on this new PTC update. If you have tried the PTC in the past couple days, could you please comment here and let us if this latest PTC update (1.38.0.252554) has improved things for you?

User feedback is vital to our software release process, so please make sure you continue to use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus software (bottom left corner) for any issues you are encountering. Thank you!

Fully updated to the most recent 1.38.0.252554. As before, everything works flawlessly for me except for the static flashes which still occur about once to twice every 30 minutes. I've used 3.1 Gen 1 slots. I've used 3.1 Gen 2 slots. I've used the inateck card you guys used to recommend. I've used the USB C Virtual Link on my 2080ti. Static flashes the exact same way for all of them. I've exchanged headset at my retailer multiple times. Flashes the exact same every time.

ShowbizDonkey to date you are the first and only person associated with Oculus to even suggest it's a KNOWN issue, let alone anything about what causes it and where your teams are in terms of a solution. 

Please, can you give us ANY hint as to what the hell might be causing this? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey all - we had an update to the PTC (1.38.0.252554) go out a couple days ago. I'm seeing a couple comments here about receiving and trying that update, but I'm trying to get an updated feel from the forum community to the team as to how things are going for you on this new PTC update. If you have tried the PTC in the past couple days, could you please comment here and let us if this latest PTC update (1.38.0.252554) has improved things for you?

User feedback is vital to our software release process, so please make sure you continue to use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus software (bottom left corner) for any issues you are encountering. Thank you!

Everything great for me with this latest version.
I only get the very occasional quick white flashes that I have been always getting.

CrashFu
Consultant
Haven't noticed much difference with the new patch;  Still getting the occasional static-flash. :smile:

edit:  Wait, hold on... I got prompted for another Oculus update immediately after making this post, lol.    Maybe I spoke too soon?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Orkel
Adventurer
Patch 1.38.0.253916 just updated on PT. What's new?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Static flashes just as frequent (if not more so) on 1.38.0.253916

Anonymous
Not applicable
Perhaps @ShowbizDonkey if the DEVs simply fix these things here then it may operate properly...

BATTERY USEAGE LEVEL is either 100% OR 50% OR DEAD/OFF
CONTROLLER OFF STATE STAYS SLEEP INSTEAD OF OFF UNTIL A REBOOT/RESTART OCULUS
ONBOARD AUDIO LIMTER IS SET AT 50% SO IS WORKING ON CONSTANTLY, NOT JUST PEAKS

Try that and get back to us ok - Thanks 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
@ShowbizDonkey this radio silence isn't doing you guys any favors. It's now been over 2 weeks since release and your flagship PC product is still flashing us in the eyes with bright static. Hundreds of us if just a fraction of the forum and Reddit posts are to be believed, and those are just the ones who are taking the time to post. 

Is something wrong with the hardware in your headset?

Is something wrong in the software?

Is something wrong in the firmware?

Please just be direct and honest with your customers. Even a rough ETA? The flashing static is just too immersion breaking for me to use it, so I have a useless product until this issue is resolved. 

Having a problem with a new product at launch is understandable. But it's 16 days since release and not a WORD to us about what may cause it or when we might expect a fix? Not even a "hey it's flashing you in the eyes because-"

This is amateur hour bullshit.

CrashFu
Consultant

@RG4520

Out of who knows how many tens of thousands of users, if only hundreds are having serious problems, that's a pretty successful product launch.  Especially since people don't generally keep quiet if they're having issues with a product  (man, do they not keep quiet about it)

If Oculus knew what was causing this bug, it would already be fixed! And they can't exactly give us an ETA until they figure that out.  Do you not know how bug-fixing works? 
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.