Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's the only 4th state of BATTERY USAGE now at 25% and it lost Tracking & crashed! (so is 100%, 50%, 25% (dies) and DEAD/OFF with supplied batteries lasting 1week - now I carry on with Eneloops from here)
The report state now does not follow actual readings gradually. FIX it and the other 2 above and you may be onto solving any memory leaks which may solve other issues of Flashes/Blackscreens.

fpbdu8qe4qwj.png

Anonymous
Not applicable
Come on. It's so obvious if there are actual recognised faults as I say...
"BATTERY USEAGE LEVEL is either 100% OR 50% OR DEAD/OFF
CONTROLLER OFF STATE STAYS SLEEP INSTEAD OF OFF UNTIL A REBOOT/RESTART OCULUS
ONBOARD AUDIO LIMTER IS SET AT 50% SO IS WORKING ON CONSTANTLY, NOT JUST PEAKS"
then these create lower performance. It's so simple! Hence White flashes and eventual Blackscreen crashes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

CrashFu said:

@RG4520

Out of who knows how many tens of thousands of users, if only hundreds are having serious problems, that's a pretty successful product launch.  Especially since people don't generally keep quiet if they're having issues with a product  (man, do they not keep quiet about it)

If Oculus knew what was causing this bug, it would already be fixed! And they can't exactly give us an ETA until they figure that out.  Do you not know how bug-fixing works? 

I know how communication works, and there's been none. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
@CrashFu

I wanted to address your points in a more detailed manner.

1. "Out of who knows how many tens of thousands of users, if only hundreds are having serious problems, that's a pretty successful product launch."

You're assuming a lot here. You don't know the sales figures, you have no clue how widespread this issue is or not. 
But that's irrelevant, because it doesn't matter.

I paid for a product that's not working properly. That is all that matters to me, and it's all that SHOULD matter to me, or anyone in my position. Yours is perfect? Awesome, happy for you, go enjoy it. Mine is not, and I will voice that until someone addresses it.

"Especially since people don't generally keep quiet if they're having issues with a product  (man, do they not keep quiet about it)"

So I gather from this you want people who paid for a product that's not working to shut up and not tell the company and other people about it? There's condescension dripping from this line. These forums, and particularly THIS thread is FOR people to complain. That's the whole point, to give feedback on how it IS or IS NOT working. If people posting their problems and frustrations annoys you, and I totally understand why it can/does, then don't read these.
So far as I'm aware no one has taken to the streets screaming at the skies about their headsets not working. What we HAVE done is come to the DEDICATED FORUM for it. So you're criticizing people for using this space for it's designated purpose. And we've commented after every update to let them know it's STILL not fixed. And earlier today they actually ASKED us to. 

3. "If Oculus knew what was causing this bug, it would already be fixed! And they can't exactly give us an ETA until they figure that out.  Do you not know how bug-fixing works?"

Please name your source for this. Who inside Oculus told you if they knew what it was it would be fixed. You don't know, you haven't any idea. You're defending them and yet know nothing about their internal review process or how they fix problems.  Do you know why? Because Oculus hasn't told us anything of substance. And if you'll reread my little post/rant, you'll see I wasn't asking for an instant fix. I was asking for COMMUNICATION. If it's something that they haven't figured out yet, that's fine, just TELL US. We're not asking for play by plays, but maybe once a week tell us it's still on your radar, or "we actually haven't found a cause yet, we're still looking." 

Going dark and not communicating solves nothing and fosters distrust, that was all I was saying.

Maybe this launch is a smashing success, and I hope it is. I LOVE my Rift S. If I didn't, I wouldn't care less that it's flashing static, I would just return it. I don't want to do that, because this thing is AWESOME. 

And I actually DO know how bug fixing works, but thanks for your condescension and sarcasm.  I'm fully aware if you've located and identified the bug, you CAN give a rough estimate. Maybe they've found it and are rolling into the next firmware in 2 weeks. Sweet, tell us it'll be a few weeks. Perhaps they still have no clue what's causing it. Awesome, tell us the investigation is still ongoing and it'll probably be the latter half of June/early July and let US make the judgement call on whether to keep the product or return it for now. But they keep rolling out updates with vague descriptions and won't answer direct questions, THAT is my only issue here. The point is to give your customers as much information as possible so they can make informed decisions....we just want to know where they're at instead of being left in limbo with a product that's not working as designed.

And anyone that tells anyone to keep quiet about a product they've paid for that's not working is seriously misguided. Especially in the forums designated for it. 

Rosgillies
Adventurer
Latest update in now but still periodic white flashes persist. Love my rift s too but I would like to see some communication from the Devs as RG4520 says. Cant understand their silence.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm still getting static flash every couple minutes.

ShocksVR
Superstar
Awesome, tell us the investigation is still ongoing and it'll probably
be the latter half of June/early July and let US make the judgement call
on whether to keep the product or return it for now.

They've already done that.  They stated they're aware of the static flash and are looking into it.

i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

CrashFu
Consultant
@RG4520 -  You've made 13 posts in this forum in little over a week. 11 demanding an immediate fix for this one small bug   (and 1 just ranting at me for trying to talk some sense into you)

In case you didn't notice, from the first post in this thread, Oculus is aware of the issue and they're working on it.   They've already released an attempted fix, and their patches take a while to roll out to everyone.  So calm down. Spamming the forums with the same complaint over and over and over again isn't going to make the bug-fixing process go any faster.   (And neither is returning your unit to the store for a new one three times in one week.  Seriously?  Whatever retail store you're going to is likely going to ban you if you keep abusing their exchange policy like that.)

Honestly, if you don't have the patience to wait even a week or two for fixes to launch-day bugs, you should not be buying ANYTHING at launch.   And I don't mean that as a put-down, it's just the way it is.   Tolerating launch-day bugs is a big part of being an early adopter, and not everyone has the patience for that.  Someone like you should really wait a few months, at least, before buying any new tech product.  You'd be happier that way.
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

jfmarsicano
Honored Guest
fpbdu8qe4qwj.png

I have the same issue.  Display starts working then after a minute or 2 it throws this error.  I do the support trick og unplugging and replugging usb and display port and after 3 or 4 times it comes back.  Very frustrating.  Installed the beta before and it made it worse.  Hoping to apply 1.38.0.253916 and this will be solved.  If not it is going back to bestbuy.  

FeralReaper
Protege
I wouldn't mind the static flash. I just wanted my flippin thing to work.