Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Dapperlad
Protege
After setting up my Rift S this morning, I played for approximately
2 hours and ran into an issue in Beatsaber where my body movement was
not longer being tracked and I couldn't move my sticks anymore. I went back to the home screen and noticed that my hands were stuck to my side and all I could do was rotate my controllers in place. I was also unable to see anything through the passthrough camera as it was just static.

I've disabled USB 3.0 power management in Windows
I've
tried every USB 3.0 plug on my computer, the ones that do work now only
last for 30 seconds to 3 minutes before static screen comes back and I
lose tracking.
I've unplugged all others USB cables on my computer except keyboard and mouse.
Camera permissions are on for Windows 10
I've reseated the video cable in the headset itself.
Videocard Drivers are up to date
Windows 10 is completely up to date
Rift Firmware is up to date
I've reinstalled Oculus software and run the setup multiple times.

I've seen a few others on Reddit with the same problem. Is this a faulty batch of hardware here?
154 REPLIES 154

SirDimples
Honored Guest
Same issue here (static + no tracking) although no where as severe as what most of you are experiencing, for me the procedure is as follows:

- @ start of VR session there is 80% chance the headset is completely black, restarting oculus app seems to fix this so I just do that at the beginning everytime.
- Play or watch stuff for several hours, I usually get the static screen issue once or twice during that. Yesterday I got it about 5-6 times and the last two occurred with very little time in-between so now I'm worried.

When I get the static-no-tracking-issue, I take off the headset, close the oculus app then disconnect and reconnect both the USB and displayport cables, then after a few seconds wear the headset which starts oculus again. This usually fixes it.

Someone in reddit made a guess that it's the speakers in the headset that seem to be a consistent trigger for this. Specifically whenever there is a loud sound in a game or movie. That seems like a power-draw issue and it appears there is some validity to that from reading other people's experiences. As a result whenever I want to use the headset for a long play session, I wear headphones which seems to make the headset much more stable.

An example, I played euro truck sim day before yesterday for 3-4 hours with headphones, static issue didn't occur.

But I agree, oculus should have patched this already. If it's a power draw issue then the simplist software fix would be the ability to recover from it without having to restart.

hellbringeranus
Explorer

formol88 said:

formol88 said:

Hello from France,
I think I have the same issue. My hand and controler aren't recognize and the camera show snow. I try everything, but it's not work. When I restart the oculus, the camera works like 1 second, not more.

I open a ticket with oculus, but I read here it was not necessary : they don't reply or the replay don't work...
I buy it on amazon, so, i don't know if I have to return the product or not... Here in France, it's sold out for more 2 weeks !

Ye I have had 2 oculus rifts so I got one from belgium and one from amazon france both have had the same issues I'm getting a third one next week so that might work lol but oculus rifts are in high demand atm but swapping for a new one doesnt guarantee that it will work

Your 2 oculus have an issue and you order again ? 😮
I don't know if I want to be refunder or an exchange, but if all oculus are the same problem ... And Oculus don't reply to us. It's unbelievable !

Managed to finally get oculus on support chat so they looked at my logs which I sent and gave me a reply about them.

Hello James,

I don't immediately see anything in the logs that stands out, so
I'll need some more time to review them more thoroughly.

I’m going to look into this further for you and will be in touch
as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Maureen

Oculus Support

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here (static + no tracking) although no where as severe as what most of you are experiencing, for me the procedure is as follows:

- @ start of VR session there is 80% chance the headset is completely black, restarting oculus app seems to fix this so I just do that at the beginning everytime.
- Play or watch stuff for several hours, I usually get the static screen issue once or twice during that. Yesterday I got it about 5-6 times and the last two occurred with very little time in-between so now I'm worried.

When I get the static-no-tracking-issue, I take off the headset, close the oculus app then disconnect and reconnect both the USB and displayport cables, then after a few seconds wear the headset which starts oculus again. This usually fixes it.

Someone in reddit made a guess that it's the speakers in the headset that seem to be a consistent trigger for this. Specifically whenever there is a loud sound in a game or movie. That seems like a power-draw issue and it appears there is some validity to that from reading other people's experiences. As a result whenever I want to use the headset for a long play session, I wear headphones which seems to make the headset much more stable.

An example, I played euro truck sim day before yesterday for 3-4 hours with headphones, static issue didn't occur.

But I agree, oculus should have patched this already. If it's a power draw issue then the simplist software fix would be the ability to recover from it without having to restart.

I played with my friends for around 20 minute last night with audio only coming out my gaming headset. Still had a camera failure. I've pretty much given up and just hanged the headset on the side waiting for an Oculus staff reply or a software update.

I mean heck, I sometimes also just sit in the dashboard for 2 seconds and the cameras die on me.

I've had the cameras die in the span of anything between 1 second to half an hour. I played H3VR yesterday with no issues at all. Then I switch game and it dies. Then I loaded back H3VR and it worked for a minute before losing tracking. Nothing is consistant.

sraura
Heroic Explorer
I wonder how many of you with problems are running rift on laptop or have some kind of adapters plugged to your display-, dvi- or hdmi-ports.

hellbringeranus
Explorer

sraura said:

I wonder how many of you with problems are running rift on laptop or have some kind of adapters plugged to your display-, dvi- or hdmi-ports.

I just got ye good old classic tower pc and not using adapters 

CountryManTheTi
Explorer
Welp... I’m at a loss. Sent 2 support tickets and only 1 got a reply. All they did was copy paste the troubleshooting page. I’m really disappointed. I’m going to one final time attempt to repair the software cuz every other fix hasn’t worked. I literally just am launching one simple game, brass tactics. I have tried so many fixes and searched for my own to no avail. USB power saver, nope. Crap, don’t waist your time. I loose tracking before even 5 minutes of gameplay. If this repair doesn’t work... which I’m really sure it won’t, but I have a little faith left. I am going to return it to Best Buy where I bought it from on Sunday at the latest. Let me know what you think y’all. Cuz I spent $400 on a glorified speaker.

Edit: Guess what... it didn’t work. Good luck guys cuz I’m tapping out. Very unprofessional on oculus’ part. I’ve been more than patient. I’m either returning it permanently or ordering another... idk yet. Not that smart of a decision to get rid of rift so soon either. Cuz with all these returns taking place you might be taking a hit...

Fededale
Honored Guest
I fix the tracking issue ! My Rift S work only with  USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A port. I've Msi B450 Pro Carbon Ac motherboard and I tried all my Usb, all procedure etc. etc. but it worked for a few minute and then it stopped tracking. The solution for me was USB 3.1 GEN2. Yesterday I played DCS World for 2H and Assetto Corsa Competizione 1H Without problem !
I hope it can help.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does it have flashes over hours of use after say 1 week. That is the test now. Mine got the flashes after a week.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I fixed my problem.

I had to plug it in my front USB ports. I can barely get the display port plug in the back and USB in the front at the same time. My wire is literally at maximum tension and I'm sure I was close to damaging it but I wanted to test my theory. Now my issue is that the plug is too short to go from the back to the front of my PC but I am buying an extension so that'll be fixed soon.

HisHeadIsRed
Explorer
After about 15-20 hours of use my rift s has stopped tracking my controllers. I unplug the device and plug in the USB to my front USB 3.0 hub and wait then plug my display port in. Nothing so far has made the controllers work whatsoever since they got "stuck". I even opted into the beta and tried completely reinstalling the software altogether and still cant get the controllers to work AT ALL. Everytime I put the headset on they are stuck. I was initially so impressed with this headset but after spending so much money and get very little response I'm discouraged. I'm contemplating taking it back before my refund date runs out. My question to oculus is do you think this is a hardware issue? Is every head set that's having this problem going to need to be replaced? We need more than we are working on it after spending such a large amount of money on this product. If we get a new headset will that one also mess up eventually?  

Edit. I've tried every possible fix I've seen in my 6 hours of looking. If it's on the internet I've tried it trust me. I want to experince VR again.