cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy guys,

i get no picture when i should use my rift s to end the setup in VR. Only black screen, white led and sound, but no picture. Reinstalled, reconnected, new driver and so on.
Im on a i7 4790k, gtx 1080. Till now i put hours in this damn thing....
177 REPLIES 177

Teal1500
Honored Guest

MAC_MAN86 said:

Old Drivers haven't got ASW2. It won't be that. More likely the Audio has the Limiter problem thus causing it to over work and then builds up noise in the cable as it chokes on it. Like a damn or over heating and weakening it's shielding which they acknowledged.

I'm not sure I follow, am i damaging the headset by using older drivers or should I just not touch the headset until this is dealt with?

Anonymous
Not applicable
No. If you haven't got later drivers which added ASW2 then you miss out on the efficiency of it's smoothing which is better than ASW1. There's nothing wrong in the very latest Driver. No need to use DDU to clean out unless there are serious issues but the ones we all experience are the same regardless of Driver, OS, and Runtime/PTC. 
If it jitters just lower settings slightly as RIFT S demands a bit more due to pixel increase although at 10Hz lower @ 80Hz. If there's white snow it's a severe affect of the issue most probably. I do fear if the interference has damaged it by then. Wait it out until the last few days of a Returns date.

Teal1500
Honored Guest
I can also try the beta branch and see if that fix's the white snow issue. It doesn't happen that often and i'm wondering if its a firmware issue.

Teal1500
Honored Guest
Okay i'm pretty excited right now, i got the Rift S working on the latest nvidia drivers, This is probably gonna sound weird to some of you, the way i got it working was first unplugging the headset, going into Device manager and expanding Display Adapters and right clicking my 1080 and hitting Uninstall device and clicking the check box to delete driver software and then clicking okay, your screen is gonna flicker, after it finish's reboot, then go back to device manager and display adapters right click your GPU and scan for hardware changes then let windows install the nvidia driver, The way you know if its done is if you right click your desktop and see nvidia control panel, after that plug in the headset wait for any loading rings to stop and see if the headset turns on correctly, if it does go through setup of Guardian and all that then you can try installing the latest drivers, if you have a 1080 windows will install nvidia 418.93 i think it is, i hope this helps you guys too, i'll let you know if it stops working at all.

MikePixelPusher
Protege
Anybody having success with laptops, specifically MSI laptops?
System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the 15" version of your exact laptop. Same processor, same GPU. Mine goes to black screen after 30-60 seconds and doesnt come back until I unplug everything. Never stays on longer than 30-60 seconds. Audio still works, but screen is totally off. 

MikePixelPusher
Protege

Zemzam said:

I have the 15" version of your exact laptop. Same processor, same GPU. Mine goes to black screen after 30-60 seconds and doesnt come back until I unplug everything. Never stays on longer than 30-60 seconds. Audio still works, but screen is totally off. 

This is what support sent me:

"We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

I had returned mine before I could try it. It might work for you.

System: MSI GE73 Raider RGB 8RE Laptop
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1060

Anonymous
Not applicable
The verdict on that patch was it solved nothing.

sephroth
Explorer
For what it's worth, I've been struggling for the last week with my Rift S that had display port connectivity issues. Finally got fed up and returned it to Amazon, but they didn't have any in stock to replace with. Went to BestBuy, picked up a new one. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I plugged it in the first time it just work. No issues whatsoever. I didn't even restart my computer from the last time I couldn't make my original unit work. My opinion, if you have an issue, refund and re-order. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's not enough time to test. Everyone that posts "it fixed it!" here later finds out it doesn't.
Not 1 User has repeatedly came out and declared "THIS FIXED IT FOR ME - NO FLASHES/BLACKSCREENS OR CRASHES OR LOSS OF TRACKING". Well it depends on the game you play. Elite:Dangerous and PokerstarsVR can take between 1 - 2 hours for a crash but gets flashes on average 1 per 30mins.
I seriously think nobody has a fix. They are just tolerant to these issues and the games they play are less prone.