cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Screen with Rift S in Setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hy guys,

i get no picture when i should use my rift s to end the setup in VR. Only black screen, white led and sound, but no picture. Reinstalled, reconnected, new driver and so on.
Im on a i7 4790k, gtx 1080. Till now i put hours in this damn thing....
177 REPLIES 177

hscheck
Explorer
I have not had a single problem on the MSI laptop since rolling back the NVIDIA driver (posted earlier in this thread).  I use it several hours at a time per day, every day.  However, if you don't want to mess with it and have the funds, get an Oculus certified "Oculus Ready" machine.  I don't mind getting in on the ground floor and tinkering when it is just me.  But, when it is needed to publicly demo, it needs to dependably work.  All of the issues I had with the MSI laptop prior to rolling back the NVIDIA driver were not present on an Alienware 15 R4 laptop.  It just worked.  Same Rift S.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@hscheck What games you using for Public Demos and does anyone play constantly without a break over 2hours?
Tell us what Driver Version you use here.

hscheck
Explorer
I posted the NVIDIA driver version in my initial post earlier in this thread (ver 417.71).  It is the latest downloadable driver on MSI's site for the GP73.  During the demos, no one person plays over 15 minutes at a time.  But, the laptop and Rift S are constantly on.  Multiple people consecutively playing the same game easily consumes 2 hours.  And, I definitely play one game over 2 hours at a time on my own time.  BAM VR, H3, Gun Club VR,  Audio Shield, Sound Boxing, Space Pirate Trainer, Beat Saber, Box VR, Dead & Buried 1 & 2, Drop Dead, and Serious Sam VR The Last Hope to name a few of the more popular ones.  However, games aside, the issue I was having with the MSI was a blackout 20 seconds after startup (didn't get past Oculus setup).  I no longer have that issue after rolling back the NVIDIA driver.  As of yet, with over a week of constant use, I have had no crashes, flashes, or tracking issues (hope I haven't just jinxed myself by saying that).

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK thanks I have that Driver saved already as it is 3 previous ones to what I have as latest 430.86 (labelled as compatible with RIFT S). Can you confirm the onboard sound does not increase from 50% but gets further compressed?

hscheck
Explorer
Not sure how to confirm the sound compression.  I disable the headset's sound and feed the laptop's 'speaker out' into a JBL Charge 3.  Sounds great, bass and all.

Anonymous
Not applicable
OK play music on full volume on its player. Use RIFT S Audio and increase it gradually from 0 to 100 on the RIFT S Volume and listen for a steady increase in volume or it seems to level out at 50 and sounds squashed when going higher.

hscheck
Explorer
I switched the audio to the Rift S headphones and played a few YouTube music videos from the browser.  The volume doesn't peak at 50.  There is a gradual discernible difference in volume from 10 to 100 with the slider (can't hear anything under 10).  No clipping or distortion throughout the audible range.  Are you referring to a specific player/app?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I set Windows Media Player OR YouTube and the gradient slows after 50% due to having any Bass playing. So if also using the Bass Boost then the limiting hits it very hard to drop the sound by half! This is how I hear the volume is not at it's potential by it Peak Limiting the Bass we don't hear enough of. As soon as there's no Bass playing mid-songs or start/ends then the volume pumps up double!

It takes 10dB to double Volume Levels so by using 90Hz +6dB is reducing the possible volume by about 1/2 but at least it gives us the Bass we don't get when it's without Boost.

hscheck
Explorer
Ok.  I played a few bass boosted songs off of YouTube.  Yep, there is a noticeable drop in volume during the bass.  I can't say this is an issue for me personally because I don't use the HMD to watch movies or play music.  And, typically, I pipe the sound directly from the PC/laptop to an external speaker.

paolo666
Honored Guest

Zemzam said:

Anybody having success with laptops, specifically MSI laptops?

I have the 15" version of your exact laptop. Same processor, same GPU. Mine goes to black screen after 30-60 seconds and doesnt come back until I unplug everything. Never stays on longer than 30-60 seconds. Audio still works, but screen is totally off. 

This is what support sent me:

"We're preparing to roll out an update to resolve some connection and tracking issues, and I'd like to test this patch on your computer. The patch is available on the Public Test Channel.

To opt in, go to Settings, then Beta, and click the tab next to Public Test Channel. The software will download and install an update, then restart. After that, it should update the firmware on both the headset and the Touch controllers.

Once everything is done updating, please test the Rift S and let me know if the issue continues."

I had returned mine before I could try it. It might work for you.

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

I tried everything else. Even a windows reinstall.  But this Beta Driver seems fine. I had a black screen/No sound problem before and to get it working, I always had to switch display ports after very reboot. 

But this Beta driver seems to fix that! 

Good luck!