Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S and Rift 1.38 PTC Release Notes

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Oculus Home:

• You can now rename your Homes! In the details page for any of your own Homes, there is now an edit icon next to the Home name that will bring up a VR keyboard. Express yourself with a brand new Home name that will be reflected in recommendations, gateways, and friends' Places lists.
  • We've made it easier to manage items. You can now easily relocate items directly from the inventory menu to move or reposition them. We've also reduced download sizes for faster item delivery.
  • We've polished up the presentation of Homes in our menus to be much faster and more intuitive.

Rift S:

• Updated audio driver to improve Rift S audio quality.
  • Updated firmware to reduce occurrence of display issues.

If you're using
Oculus Rift S and experiencing black screen and/or cable enumeration issues,
please try opting into the latest PTC (
https://support.oculus.com/200468603765391/)
build of the Oculus software. We've included updates that should help.

As always, if you encounter any issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. If you have any feature requests or suggestions to make the Oculus software even better, please head over to our UserVoice page to share your feedback. Thanks for your continued help!
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!
315 REPLIES 315

harke69
Honored Guest
hello ! any news about the tracking lost and white snow ?

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hey everyone - thanks for all your feedback thus far. As we’ve said, we’re aware of some users experiencing issues with Rift S, including the sporadic static/white flashing issue, and we’re working on addressing them as quickly as possible. We pushed out two additional updates to the PTC this week, which have included some additional stability improvements and bug fixes (including one particularly nasty black screen issue that appeared in last week’s first PTC build). We’ll continue to note changes in release notes here on the forum. In the meantime, we encourage everyone to check out our troubleshooting guide, which we’re continuing to update with new known issues as we identify them and troubleshooting tips to address them. Thanks for your continued patience, and we'll continue to share updates as we have them.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @ShowbizDonkey but if a known fix is added it should be sent directly to the Live Release. Users here have stated the PTC was worse and rolled back and even your techs told them to! We can be patient but just fix the faults I told you about and surely it can work as it should.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the update @ShowbizDonkey! Glad to hear your team is aware and still working on the flashes, and I hope a fix is incoming soon. Five Nights at Freddy's VR is calling my name, please hurry! 😄

harke69
Honored Guest
thank you @ShowbizDonkey , actualy my rifts S make occasional black screens when I wake it up, Also when playing, in a gap of 5 minutes to 2 hours, I lost the translation tracking tracking of the helmet and the touchs. I already done everything asked (resetting cable, testing all usb) ands nothing changed, I also know the problem is not on my computer, played all the day with the rift S of my friend with nothing more than some rare white flash. I already asked for a replacement to amazon, it will come in 10 days, but before that if you want log and test, just ask for it 🙂

pforsgard
Explorer
I had the black screen issue. 
I think it’s solved now. Upgraded to the latest PTC and using an USB-C port with an USB-C to USB3 adapter. I believe that the USB-C on my motherboard is able to deliver more power than the USB 3 ports. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had wondered if that could help out. See if it flashes over a week. Is it a multi-port HUB or just a single Adapter?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NONDA-USB-C-TO-USB-3-0-MINI-ADAPTER-ALUMINIUM-BODY-WORLDS-SMALLEST-WITH-L...

Anonymous
Not applicable

pforsgard said:

I think it’s solved now. Upgraded to the latest PTC and using an USB-C port with an USB-C to USB3 adapter. I believe that the USB-C on my motherboard is able to deliver more power than the USB 3 ports. 

I hope it does, I had tried the same with my black screen issue and at first though it did but then it came back.
For my particular situation, only thing that works for me to get rid of the black screen is going back to one monitor in my windows config and unplugging my secondary monitor from gpu.

Rosgillies
Adventurer
Had to roll back to 1809 from 1903 as win 10 1903 will not allow the ovrservice to start up for my rift s. Tried to start it in services but it stays on stopped as does ovr libraryservice. Anybody got some tips to try?

Anonymous
Not applicable

dburne said:

pforsgard said:

I hope it does, I had tried the same with my black screen issue and at first though it did but then it came back.
For my particular situation, only thing that works for me to get rid of the black screen is going back to one monitor in my windows config and unplugging my secondary monitor from gpu.

Slight correction, as long as I change windows to single monitor and my main monitor is display #1, I do not have to unplug the secondary monitor cables. However with multi monitor selected for display it will black screen after first launching and closing Oculus Home, then relaunching again in same session.

So for now I just have to change display to single monitor -  my main monitor #1 when I want to game in VR. Hoping maybe a future firmware update might resolve it.