cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you set a profile photo

declantm
Protege
Hi,
I am wondering how to set a profile photo? I am able to create an avatar without any problems but I'm not able to create a profile photo.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
32 REPLIES 32

nat42
Explorer
I have a Windows PC (that will be far from the Rift software requirements... if it wasn't I might've bought a Rift instead of a Go) and a Android phone (but not Samsung/GearVR compatible), really this is an issue for most Oculus Go users I presume?

I don't have a blank avatar, Oculus took mine from Facebook without asking me, and being a very private person that doesn't want my IRL face on reviews and in VR I do not like this one bit. It feels like a betrayal of trust in my having provided details to Oculus.

berickphilip
Explorer
This is pretty pathetic really

StrwBeri
Honored Guest
Glad I stumbled across this thread. I have been going nuts trying to figure this out. It makes zero sense that I cannot change my photo from what it was years ago when I had Samsung Gear! At least I figured out how to get my real name  off of public view. LOL Come on guys...its just a photo change. Why would this be hard to fix? 

anthonsh
Protege
This is really dumb. 

HomeKrew
Explorer
The REALLY retarded thing is that THIS POST has my profile picture! Yet, somehow, they cannot use said profile picture, that is Posted RIGHT HERE, in my OCULUS ACCOUNT, to finally populate that damn annoying EMPTY/BLANK/BLACK Profile Pic frame right next to my Quest/Go Avatar!!!
This is not hard to fix! This is not M Theory or Quantum Mechanics calculations where we have to account for the extra dimensions before we can populate the profile picture into the correct universe, along with the proper current time/space/dimension of the empty picture field that is located in a database on an Oculus server, in some remote server farm where the EXACT SAME profile pic is STORED for ALL of your OTHER various account profiles that are ALL owned by the same MEGA WORLD CONGLOMERATE CORPORATION.
I KNOW it ain’t hard because I am a Programmer/App Dev that started working at Microsoft back in 1988 when there were only 6000 of us there and I was just 20 years old.
The issue here is simply a matter of LAZINESS. Someone has been given this simple fix to do, but they have misplaced the Work Request file created for it, and they have also let it slip from their feeble mind and forgotten about it. It is buried somewhere outta sight and outta mind. It WILL one day be found. It will be found by a group of people who specialize in Data Forensics. This forensics group will be digging into the failures and breakup of OCULUS to try and reverse engineer what things caused, and were at play, during the last years of the companies decline and eventual closure and bankruptcy. A future financial expert will one day write a book about the rise and fall of Oculus, and the whole fiasco of the missing profile pics will take up an ENTIRE CHAPTER as the insidious ‘little straw’ that, "Broke the Camels Back".

benjammin_carlt
Honored Guest

Right now, the only way to change the avatar image is through the Oculus Windows app, or the Gear VR app. Currently the website and Oculus Go companion app do not have this feature. However, we are looking into it for the future. Thanks.

benjammin_carlt
Honored Guest
Still no option to change profile pic via Oculus Go headset or companion app? In June 2019?? 

HomeKrew
Explorer
Yeah, I saw this post from Cybereality when I first looked into this issue... When I first received my Go Headset on initial release. A year later, I now have a Quest headset, and it is exactly the SAME issue STILL!!
It worries me that a simple issue like this would go unresolved for so long. Especially since it is a customer facing issue that people will constantly be confronted with. It’s these simple issues that aren’t big system stopping bugs, but, since they are constantly in view by the user they are like a mosquito constantly buzzing around you that you can’t get rid of. This little bug isn’t going to kill you outright but it is a constant annoyance that infects your full enjoyment of everything else you do. Relationships end because people constantly hold in the little issues and don’t fix them. These little issues build up and build up in the subconscious until they become huge, take over everything, and end the relationship.
The psychology of what I’m saying is probably apparent from my writing above, but the key takeaway as to how it relates to programming software is this; It’s the little annoyances that users have to directly deal with, and constantly see, that have the biggest effect on customer satisfaction. They eat away at their viewpoint and satisfaction with the product as a whole. These "little things" actually have the Largest Effect on overall satisfaction. It is because of this "psychology" that a company would do well to squash any of theses, little annoying bugs, especially customer facing ones, as a priority. Sadly, a company that does not have this concept as a core operating programming ethic tend to let these "little" type bugs always take a backseat to any "larger projects". It doesn’t do a lot to constantly work on upgrades for a product when the things that really annoy customers are never dealt with. Seeing the little things never fixed not only leaves a bad taste in people’s mouths, it also makes them question the abilities and the priorities of the programmers and the company. Customers will begin, accurately or not, to believe that a company cares only about money and the bottom line, and not their customers satisfaction. Companies and Products live and die by the customers happiness over time. Therefore, if all it takes to make customers statistically happier with there experience, the product, and your company, is to kill some little bugs while their STILL small... then so be it.

willsanderson
Honored Guest

We are still looking into this, but right now the Oculus desktop app is the only way. The Gear VR Oculus app was never in the Play Store, it is only available when docking your Samsung phone into a Gear VR.

Is this for real?  Changing a simple profile picture is an impossible task?  My mind is actually blown why Oculus support hasn't fixed this IMMEDIATELY.  It's 2019 and you can't update a profile picture for a company owned by Facebook... slightly ironic and hilariously stupid.

Now let me go hunt down a PC and download an app that does nothing for me in order to change a tiny 176x176 pixel picture.  Great customer support Oculus.  You're doing great.

declantm
Protege
It's a bit of a joke this hasn't been made simpler to do more than one year on. I totally regret clicking the "Accepted Answer" button now. It's crazy that this hasn't been fixed properly and is an absolutely terrible user experience. I would have expected Oculus/Facebook to have this sorted ages ago. I was an early adopter for the Oculus Go but seeing as Oculus don't value customer feedback I doubt I'll be sticking with Oculus Products in the future.