Valve Index - Specifications released. - Page 62 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Valve Index - Specifications released.

Comments

• inovatorinovator Posts: 1,847
    Project 2501
    To ban or not to ban. That is the question. Wow I'm a poet and just didn't know it.
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,000 Valuable Player
    Seems Atmos to me

same subtle oculus trolling in most threads not that it bothers me as some others but if I had to make a call going with 98.5% him

Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,088 Valuable Player
    edited June 7
    Otherwise until proven or he acts in the same way, a user should be afforded the same rules as any other user.

You are basically arguing that... since Atmos won't admit it's him, that he should be given a free pass. That's hilarious.

It is particularly annoying when we are trying to discuss the index (in the index post) and some people are constantly trying to start old arguments.

And this is really what your main problem is. You don't like that people take a critical eye to Index because you Pre-Ordered it. Well, if everyone on this forum can accept the critical eye that is directed at Facebook, and Oculus, and "us" as Consumers on such a regular basis, then so can you. And if you don't like it, maybe go to a Valve Index Forum.

Here are some recommendations:

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/

It feels like it. 61 pages of it and its getting old.

61 pages of opinions you don't like. And quite a few of those pages involve you getting personal instead of sticking to the topic. Which is getting old.

Use the Ignore function instead of making things personal. As often as you keep making things personal, it really just sounds like this Thread should probably get locked.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    I should be given Mod Powahs, I'd suit ALL of you dodgy fuckers out.

Atmos' ban on the AV forums has been over for a while, he's just sulking over there at the moment so hasn't been posting. It's actually a pleasant place to be at the moment. Won't be long before he gets banned from here again and he returns there, then he'll get banned from there again then return here AGAIN with a fourth account.

Personally I think he should just get out more, maybe if the Index is a decent headset he'll be too busy in VR to post on forums..?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,998 Valuable Player
    edited June 7
    oh my god when did you order?
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,548 Valuable Player
    I got one too. 

Shipping in 3-4 days? 😲
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 306
    Trinity
    Got one too!

Shipping in 3-4 days? 😲
    Since it says change it by June 14, probably starts shipping Monday the 17th?
    Cruel twist of fate that’s my birthday 😀
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,732 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Ok all peoples within this thread including me, let's keep this on track as per the title and keep it that way or I will close it k?

Who are you, the bloomin Forum Police..?

Oh.

Bugger.

:D 
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • ParadoxAnomalyParadoxAnomaly Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    Cloudhead Games got 3 VR games announced on Monday at the E3 UploadVR event. Looks pretty cool.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,847
    Project 2501

A reviewer spent hours in the index. He said overall it was great so I'm not trying to knock it.  The one thing  that was disturbing is when he took advantage of the full extra fov he didn't like seeing the display edges. So he dialed it back. I wish he would have said what the fov was after he did that. I'm sure that it's a great headset but I'm anxious to see the reviews of the average joe or nancy. That will be intersting.

Reviewer said:

If you’d prefer the soft round edges of the lenses as the limit of your FOV instead, it’s incredibly easy to dial the lenses back just a bit until you don’t see the display edges anymore.

• DoctoriDoctori Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    pyroth309 said:
    Shipping in 3-4 days? 😲
    Are you guys serious? Why did I see something saying end of september, I was very upset. Are we saying maybe in the next week or so???  I didn't pre order, I'm always sure I will figure out a way to get one at release !!!
  • SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    I got a message as well.....but it was only for my 3rd lighthouse station.  Sigh, I have to wait until September 30th for my Index package.
    Doctori said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Shipping in 3-4 days? 😲
    Are you guys serious? Why did I see something saying end of september, I was very upset. Are we saying maybe in the next week or so???  I didn't pre order, I'm always sure I will figure out a way to get one at release !!!
    We got into the first batch of pre-orders. If you order now it's probably september or later. 
    edited June 8
    inovator said:

A reviewer spent hours in the index. He said overall it was great so I'm not trying to knock it.  The one thing  that was disturbing is when he took advantage of the full extra fov he didn't like seeing the display edges. So he dialed it back. I wish he would have said what the fov was after he did that. I'm sure that it's a great headset but I'm anxious to see the reviews of the average joe or nancy. That will be intersting.

Reviewer said:

If you’d prefer the soft round edges of the lenses as the limit of your FOV instead, it’s incredibly easy to dial the lenses back just a bit until you don’t see the display edges anymore.

You can see the same effect on the cv1 if you strap it in really tight. Although you do get more FOV the screen edges are a big put off.

Be interesting like you say to know how much FOV you get just before this point. IE is seeing the edges the max 20 extra?

wont be long and these guys can tell us.

I got a message as well.....but it was only for my 3rd lighthouse station.  Sigh, I have to wait until September 30th for my Index package.
    Can I ask why you ordered a 3rd one? Is two not enough. The rift needed 3 for room scale?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    edited June 8
    Can I ask why you ordered a 3rd one? Is two not enough. The rift needed 3 for room scale?
    2 should be enough - unless you have some rare problems where maybe a piece of furniture causes occlusion.  According to Valve:

"Add a third base station to cover a tricky spot in your room. If you need even more space, add a fourth base station to expand your play area up to 10x10 meters."
    https://www.valvesoftware.com/en/index/base-stations

More here:

https://enterprise.vive.com/us/support/vive-pro/category_howto/tips-for-setting-up-the-base-stations.html
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited June 8
    This is a pretty cool vid of a guy using the VIve's camera to make a mixed reality video with the knuckles finger tracking.

Also, rumor is the Nvidia Super card is actually going to be RTX cards with GDDR6 Memory but only 8 Gigabytes worth. Depending on the price point that could be good or bad. There's several games with 4k textures that can exceed 8 gig of vram nowadays on ultra. That normally causes stutters and your fps to go in the toilet. Good chance I have a new GPU of some kind in the very near future though. :smile:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-2080-super-2070-super-2060-super-3dmark-update

• SandcrackaSandcracka Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist

Two is enough in most cases but my setup isn't as open as I'd like.  So yeah I do have a tricky spot that gets occlusion in my rift setup.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player
    edited June 9

Somehow feels like a fresh start for VR... But much will depend on support for these very expensive controllers. 

I do like Valve's approach when separating HMD, base station (tracking) and controllers. If only Oculus would do the same, so we could choose tracking (inside out vs. external), HMD and controllers. I'd love to possibility to get a new HMD while keeping my external sensor and good ol' Touch. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,499 Valuable Player
    edited June 9
    Sorry duplicate!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 9
    RuneSR2 said:

That was kind of a weird video. He climbed up and just gave an OK and just wiggled his fingers at the top each time. I get that he's just showing off that the fingers move in his game but can't get a bit more inventive than that? Or at least cut the video after the first one lol. But it's good to see games are implementing it. 

edited June 9

I think the hands at 2.03 look Amazing, I think evidence enough tracking all fingers brings a new level of immersion for the hands.

The Tech of boneworks is awesome, I just hope there's an actual game to go with it. Looks like a prototype type game like the Lab in the vids which would be fun for 20 minutes and then I'd move on. 

*Edit* I found my answer on their steam page. 

BONEWORKS Is a narrative VR action adventure using advanced experimental physics mechanics. Dynamically navigate through environments, engage in physics heavy combat, and creatively approach puzzles with physics.

• Advanced Physics: Designed entirely for consistent universal rules, the advanced physics mechanics encourage players to confidently and creatively interact with the virtual world however you want.
    • Combat: Approach combat in any number of ways you can think off following the physical rules of the game's universe. Melee weapons, firearms, physics traps, environments, can all be used to aid you in fights with enemy entities.
    • Weapons, lots of weapons: Boneworks provides players with a plethora of physics based weaponry; guns, swords, axes, clubs, spears, hammers, experimental energy weapons, nonsensical mystery tools, and anomalous physics weapons.
    • Interaction: Hyper realistic VR object and environment interaction.
    • Story: Play through the game's mysterious narrative and explore the deep inner workings of the Monogon Industries' artificial intelligence operating system; Myth OS.
    • Character Bodies: Accurate full IK body systems built from the ground up provide a realistic looking body presence and allow for a maximum level of immersion with physical interaction in the game space.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,903 Valuable Player
    Story: Play through the game's mysterious narrative and explore the deep inner workings of the Monogon Industries' artificial intelligence operating system; Myth OS.

Developer: Boss, we can't seem to come up with a coherent narrative to tie the parts of our tech demo together.

Boss: Just call it mysterious and the release the damn thing now!

Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    Yeah I'm not expecting a great storyline, seem quite a small indie studio.
This discussion has been closed.