cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus App shutting off every time I put on headset.

Archsteel
Explorer
Before I start, I want to preface this with some venting about the software in general. Over the course of my time using the Rift-S, I have found that it's controls are fluid and responsive, that it's visuals are, while not on par with the Vive perhaps, more than adequate, and that all in all it's a good piece of hardware. Yet time and time again, I have been frustrated and baffled by the dumpster fire of software that is the Oculus VR Runtime service. As of today, my count for the number of times I've had to repair/reinstall it is up to 4. Beyond that, it meddles with every single SteamVR game I play, and at times seems like it's actively trying to sabotage my experience. This also has nothing to do with my setup, as according to Oculus's own "VR-Ready Test" my computer should be able to handle all of this easily. In short, I would love nothing more than to simply not use the OVR App at all, and if anyone knows a workaround for me to just use SteamVR instead, I would love to hear it.

Failing that, here is my current problem. Currently, every time I try to start OVR, it starts up fine and seems to be working. However, around five seconds after I put on the headset, the screen freezes and OVR crashes and then restarts with the Headset blacked out. Any and all help is appreciated, although help in just not using OVR would be even more appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

gr_matthews
Honored Guest
Also suffering from this at the moment. Start a game, or Google Earth... a few seconds later the Occulus software crashes and restarts. I have updated the Nvidia driver to the most recent... and am in the process of rolling it back, just to see.

Archsteel
Explorer

I have updated the Nvidia driver to the most recent... and am in the process of rolling it back, just to see.

Hopefully you have more success with that than I did. Updating my Nvidia driver had a marked affect on my performance, where instead of taking 5 seconds to crash it did so in under 1.

gr_matthews
Honored Guest
Nope... sadly no luck... does exactly the same thing.

gr_matthews
Honored Guest
Got it to work:
Uninstalled all NVIDIA drivers, Uninstalled Occulus... turned everything off, disconnected 2nd monitor (which the recent Nvidia driver seems to have screwed up). Left it all night.

Reinstalled Nvidia driver, reinstalled Occulus, set graphics to restart, connect Rift S, restart, set up Rift S in Occulus... all worked... played for quite a while.

No idea what was long... or how long this will last... and still not got a 2nd monitor (that's next).

Archsteel
Explorer
I was able to get it working in less steps, fortunately. Removing completely unplugging the headset and leaving it for a few hours seemed to help, although it forced me to redo the setup when I plugged it back in.

Archsteel
Explorer
Great, it's happening again. And still not a word from any staff members on this. I'm glad to know that they're so dedicated to helping members of their community use the products they paid $400 for.

Frankly I probably should have expected this from Facebook.

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @Archsteel and @gr.matthews, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Please contact support at https://support.oculus.com with your Oculus Diagnostics logs so we can help you out. Instructions on collecting the logs are available here https://support.oculus.com/172672339980954/. Thanks! -Rick
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!