Space Pirate Trainer - this is freaking amazing - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Space Pirate Trainer - this is freaking amazing

Comments

• loregnumloregnum Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    Great game and my favourite touch controller game so far. 
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,821 Valuable Player
    Picked this up as well as brookhaven experiment. Just need time to try now
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    I knew those kind of games are not my cup of tea, having Elite Dangerous Asseto Corsa, Medium and Aerofly FS2 as my main hobbies, and because man, I'm 50 yo, that's for younger. Why I should spend money on this stuffs thinking I will just do the Tutorial and will let the younger members of my family play with it?

But I bought it, and spent more than an hour to have fun, to dodge, lean, fight, up, and down. I know my bones and muscles will remind me this session tomorrow. Oh men, that was good!, I feel younger! ;) This is Galaxian the arcade machine I was playing on previous century, but extended edition in VR stereoscopic 3D Immersion . This is the game I can go for short play with Touch when didn't have enough time, or spend a whole evening in it. This is a really clean and polished game, nice music, simple but effective game mechanics, bringing intense moment and lot of self satisfaction. Even if you don't go further than the previous attempts you always had great moment where you did something classy and are proud of yourself.
    I definitively need more space for my play area, "horizontally". 2mx2m is not enough to feel free to move and avoid enemy fire. I think high scores may be more easily reachable if you're able to move more left/right to avoid enemy fires. I'm lucky as I can move my system in another room to have more space (2,5m x 2,5m minimum, and more). With current play area I can't really extend my arm left and right at the same time as it remain something like 5cm each side. I was lucky to not explode Touch controllers on side walls (Thank you Guardian!). I need space to better appreciate Dead and Burried, and Ripcoil too (and Robo Call when it will be there).

No, no, no I didn't bought SuperHot (yet?)

Thanks for all who posted here, I'm happy I jumped in it :)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• robdoodrobdood Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    I'm loving it but the aim on the guns feels way wrong, especially after coming from Superhot / Bullet Train. 
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    Have you tried adjusting the setting in options that alters your angle of fire? Surely that would help?
  • Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    do you need much space? I mean I have a fan above
    But is it a cool brainless game with some strategy

any upgrades and stuff?
    yeh, it looks fun
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,903 Valuable Player
    edited May 2017
    molokow said:
    do you need much space? I mean I have a fan above
    But is it a cool brainless game with some strategy

any upgrades and stuff?
    yeh, it looks fun
    If you wanna get top scores you need a lot of space, and a decent ceiling height is definitely recommendable.
    The next question is an oxymoron - but yeah, you need strategy if you want decent scores.
    No upgrades (yet?)
    It's indeed very fun and addictive if you like a score oriented game.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,119
    Wintermute
    Only had my Rift 3 weeks and I'm loving this game too! It's awesome and lots of fun and replayability.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    Thanks for reminding me - I forgot I had it. Don't worry, Yololo69 - I'm 52 and enjoyed it, though I only have just over 1m x 1m to play in. Probably a part of why I don't get very far up the levels (and my very stiff joints, to be fair).

I t does seem to get more difficult too quickly, as others have said here. I just consider it as something for the kiddies that us (Grand-)parents can have a quick go at, while they are not around :)

• cdx47cdx47 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Didn't know about the sword/lasso etc. Definitely will try that :)
  • Brendan110_0Brendan110_0 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Great game, free too - thanks to Oculus for the $15 credit. Best to play with a group to outscore! 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 2,571 Valuable Player

Space Pirate Trainer just received a massive performance update in the Oculus Store - 745MB download:

Space Pirate Trainer - QuarkCannon

Arrr Pirates,

We've just released a big performance update. SPT should now run much smoother than ever before. Kudos to Microsoft, Intel, Unity and Valve for pushing this further than we thought."

And I just checked it out - the patch is simply awesome. I get solid 90 fps using super sampling (ss) 2.0 and everything maxed out, ok did only use 2xMSAA, but with ss 2.0 I simply can't see any difference with higher MSAA levels. Plus I got 30 - 70 % headroom, although down to 10 - 40 % with fog enabled. But I've always played without fog, because I prefer the clear view and the fog has ugly banding artifacts. 

In short - even owners of GTX 980/1060 may now be able to use very high levels of super sampling and still get rock solid 90 fps. Maybe not ss 2.0, but at least 1.5 - 1.8 should work like a charm.  

For owners of GTX 1070 or better, this game looks and plays simply awesome with extremely high levels of super sampling - maybe especially important for all of us using the CV1. 

This game truly deserves a 95 % rating. 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    I'm at work now, but I cannot wait to see if they've finally fixed the shaders used for the shield. They changed it a while back causing the transparency in the Oculus SDK version to be much worse than before. For this reason I've been using the SteamVR version since then.

The devs were being dicks about it. First they tried the "cannot reproduce"  excuse, and then ended up saying "real space prirates don't hide behind a shield".
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill DDR4 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB+850PRO 256GB+850EVO 500GB+970EVO 1TB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • hanneyhanney Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    WIldt - we spent several weeks trying to replicate your reported issue, and were unable to. We've since done a whole sweeping clean up of the game so it should run better on all hardware.
    hanney said:
    WIldt - we spent several weeks trying to replicate your reported issue
    I don't know what to say other than poor job then.

@Th4sing3, the top scorer on hardcore who also had an nvidia card, experienced exactly the same. I've recently done a full reinstall of windows, and the problem persists. 

Takes a total of 5 minutes to reproduce!

But as I've said on the steam forums, I'm happy as long as the SteamVR branch works.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,475
    Project 2501
    Wildt said:
    hanney said:
    WIldt - we spent several weeks trying to replicate your reported issue
    I don't know what to say other than poor job then.

I'm a developer. Sometimes users report issues that you mysteriously can't reproduce. The problem with PCs is every PC is different. Different hardware and different software. 
  • hanneyhanney Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    So you've tested with the 1.22 build that was pushed yesterday?
    hanney said:
    So you've tested with the 1.22 build that was pushed yesterday?
    Will do tonight.
    edited May 28
    @hanney - I'm unsure what exact build version I'm using - where is it displayed? (OH just says V1.2)
    Anywho, tried all 3 builds - nothing has changed! :neutral:   SteamVR version looks good, but Oculus SDK version in Steam and on Oculus Home have the same messed up distortion shaders.
    Seriously - anyone with an nvidia card and SPT on Steam:  Launch the SteamVR version and hold the shield at like 50cm from your face and move it around while looking at the gui items or that tesla defence turret to your left. Now switch to Oculus mode and do the same. The difference is massive! There are several waves where it's a big handicap when the small droids and their laser beams just blend into one big static noise mess.
    Noone? Anyone? @Luciferous?
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,997 Valuable Player
    Sorry away on business at moment back weekend will let you know.
    edited June 8
    Hi @Wildt

So steam mode shield is blurry but you can make out the enemies
    Oculus mode is a real blurry mess hard to see anything

Is this what you found? 

Anybody playing in Oculus mode would have distinct disadvantage.
    edited June 8
    Hi @Wildt

Is this what you found? 

@luciferous THANK YOU!  :heart:

@hanney - Look, this guy could confirm an issue you guys couldn't despite spending 2 bloody weeks on it!   allegedly...

edited June 8
    Wildt said:
    Hi @Wildt

Is this what you found? 

@luciferous THANK YOU!

@hanney - Look, this guy could confirm an issue you guys couldn't despite spending 2 bloody weeks on it!   allegedly...

It's because only women and children use the shield  :D - or maybe that explains why I die pretty fast in the game  :# Hmmm, maybe I should try to use the shield... :blush:
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

RuneSR2 said:

It's because only women and children use the shield 
    Yeah, that was basically what the main dev told me last time - and tbh, I reckon they've been able to reproduce this from day 1, but they just couldn't be arsed to fix it with just a few annoying customers complaining. They ignored it and put their hours where the money was: PSVR, WMR and more recently a Quest port.
    Well I had to google how to find the shield lol I was pressing every button combination I could find.
    Well I had to google how to find the shield lol I was pressing every button combination I could find.
    As if I didn't know  :| - but *dry cough* how do you activate the shield? :blush: (I mean sometimes it's there, but not... always... :blush:

edited June 8
    Reach over your shoulder and grab it from your back. then select mode as normal with joystick. Shield or light saber thingy.
    The light saber thingie (Voltron) can grab droids, so that you can smash them into the ground.
     It can also deflect incoming projectiles and activate the three defense turrets. 
    edited June 9
    So what are the differences between oculus and other mode apart from the knackered shield?