Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S losing hand tracking and can't see through passthrough camera

Comments

• antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    Duck Season is bad for the tracking, i tried to play but the gun go in all direction when i try to aim near the headset 
    ( i know is an known issue, but is bad to play, i missed a lot of duck ) 
    the only thing i can is put my arm forward and try to shoot them but is really hard ! 
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited June 1
    well, since I found the cause of the issue, I will make one last post.   when and if you experience the jitter/jutter/shadows effect I speak of. Open the oculus debug tool in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics
    and change the asynchronous spacewarp to ASW Disabled!!!! Clearly what is going on here is a frame rate desync/mismatch!   The rift is 90 hertz hence why it has the 45fps setting there for async, but the rift s is 80 hertz and thus should be using a 40fps setting!!!!  This is a huge oversight by the rift s team and a result of skimping on our hardware and going 80 hertz!   After adjusting this setting I have had no further issues other than still needing this USB hub!  I am very on the fence about keeping this product or not. It is nice but it is not nice at the same time lol.... But now that I know what is causing it the effect I was seeing actually makes sense too...

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Except RIFT S = 80Hz and OTT is not Official nor programmed to consider the RIFT S. You really should not need that outdated tool since many Games use their very own method of SS etc. Some versions of it even crash and cause issues. The differing SS numbers are not all the same results same as SteamVR 200% = 1.4SS in Oculus. Remember too that the increase in RIFT S resolution pixels will mean it does not require the amount of SS the old RIFT needed and your GPU would seriously struggle and so cause JITTER!
  • cybershrapnelcybershrapnel Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    edited June 1
    well, whatever it is is wrong, and this fixes it.... I have an rtx 2070 gfx card btw... Should be fine..
  • SulenorSulenor Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Another message to add for that issue. :/
  • GlirpGlirp Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited June 2
    I didn't have the problem the first day or so, and then I got the same issue where I'd lose tracking (and pass through view, basically I was losing the cameras) every 5 mins or so. After trying everything else (power management settings, beta build etc.), I thought of exiting Corsair Utility Engine that was running in the background and it seems to have fixed it. (the first day I was running on a fresh windows reinstall and I hadn't installed CUE yet)

CUE is a huge piece of shit and it's not the first time I've had issues with it preventing USB devices from other vendors from working properly.
  • CountryManTheTitanCountryManTheTitan Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Hey guys. I’ve got the exact same problems. I got my rift S on the 29th and I have tried EVERYTHING. Every solution on every form. It’s quite frustrating. I thought I fixed it yesterday when I reseated the cable and got one decent 45 minute experience out of it, but after I came back 2 hours later. Only 30 seconds of play before I lost tracking.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Oculus?!
  • KnutsiVRTV-twitchKnutsiVRTV-twitch Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    Hey guys. I’ve got the exact same problems. I got my rift S on the 29th and I have tried EVERYTHING. Every solution on every form. It’s quite frustrating. I thought I fixed it yesterday when I reseated the cable and got one decent 45 minute experience out of it, but after I came back 2 hours later. Only 30 seconds of play before I lost tracking.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Oculus?!
    I got mine on the 22nd and waiting even for the labels to return the thing. Makes you feel really helpless, doesn't it?  
  • KnutsiVRTV-twitchKnutsiVRTV-twitch Posts: 145
    Art3mis
    edited June 3
    I have to say I really thought at the point where they eventually looked at my ticket and decided to replace the headset, that was it. Solution. New headset. Boom. But just getting labels for the return box is now 2-5 business days. If you chain a 8 days wait for a decision on the ticket, with a soon 5 day wait just to be able to return it after, and then maybe 10 days for the replacement (maybe more, seeing how everything takes a long time)... Yeah, I don't know what to say any more. I'll be sure to write up this story after it's done - especially if there is no redeeming quality in the handling hereafter.

Edit: maybe I have unrealistic expectations on online retail, I dunno. Maybe this is the cost of not going to the store to get it for just a little more.
  • GBKnightGBKnight Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem where my controllers are flowting. I just got new GPU,CPU and motherboard fore my computer and still not working😥😞
    Are you plugging the usb into your virtuallink port on your GPU? 
  • SunachuSunachu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    My friend is experiencing this same issue. Has anyone found a way to fix it yet?
  • antitrust42antitrust42 Posts: 115
    Hiro Protagonist
    yeah i found an workabound :-) 

return thgis shitty garbage headset and go for INDEX 
  • kindsharkykindsharky Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have same issue as OP.  Only watched a few of the free VR apps (roller coaster, crow, etc) as I know that my tracking will be lost, pretty much within 10 mins of boot up (floating hands, static in passthrough) I have purchased a few cool games but I do not want to try them as I am pretty sure that the issues will ruin my first VR experience.  I have logged a ticket with oculus, and am really hoping that there is some update solution soon.  Brought my rift s from Argos (retail store in the uk).  I have seen talk about powered usb hubs, etc but I am not sure they apply to the issue that the OP raised, as it seams every post ends up with posters with similar but not the same issue.  This was the one post that had my exact issue detailed.  Can we keep it to that if possible so I can track it better,  please read original issue and only post on this thread if it’s what you are getting  - Rift S losing hand tracking (floating/stuck hands) and can't see through passthrough camera only see static (like the tv screen from The Ring / poltergeist / when tv used to end at midnight)

Thanks Neil

thanks to all you that have tried to come up with solutions :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,520 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm led to believe it's certain games that makes it stop working properly. because now the only game that doesn't work with hand motions is "Subnautica". The other games I've played (Minecraft, VRChat, and Duck Season) show no problem.
    Subnautica doesn't have hand motion. Their touch support is just as a simple gamepad, no motion controls.
  • formol88formol88 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hello from France,
    I think I have the same issue. My hand and controler aren't recognize and the camera show snow. I try everything, but it's not work. When I restart the oculus, the camera works like 1 second, not more.

I open a ticket with oculus, but I read here it was not necessary : they don't reply or the replay don't work...
    I buy it on amazon, so, i don't know if I have to return the product or not... Here in France, it's sold out for more 2 weeks !
  • hellbringeranushellbringeranus Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    formol88 said:
    Hello from France,
    I think I have the same issue. My hand and controler aren't recognize and the camera show snow. I try everything, but it's not work. When I restart the oculus, the camera works like 1 second, not more.

I open a ticket with oculus, but I read here it was not necessary : they don't reply or the replay don't work...
    I buy it on amazon, so, i don't know if I have to return the product or not... Here in France, it's sold out for more 2 weeks !
    Ye I have had 2 oculus rifts so I got one from belgium and one from amazon france both have had the same issues I'm getting a third one next week so that might work lol but oculus rifts are in high demand atm but swapping for a new one doesnt guarantee that it will work
  • formol88formol88 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    formol88 said:
    Hello from France,

Ye I have had 2 oculus rifts so I got one from belgium and one from amazon france both have had the same issues I'm getting a third one next week so that might work lol but oculus rifts are in high demand atm but swapping for a new one doesnt guarantee that it will work
    Your 2 oculus have an issue and you order again ? :o
    I don't know if I want to be refunder or an exchange, but if all oculus are the same problem ... And Oculus don't reply to us. It's unbelievable !
  • kindsharkykindsharky Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hi had a response from oculus today, pointed me to the public test Chanel, which I may look at, also asked for logs, which I have provided (going back 1 week and was a 10mb ish zip file). Hopefully will be sorted soon, would prefer a public released fix rather than me experimenting with unreleased code but will see what happens.  I am hopeful that there is a fix rather than having to go through the hassle of exchanging the device.  When it’s working it’s ace!  

Also sent them a pic of my serial number just in case there was an actual hardware issue.

Thanks neil
  • STUPIDGUARDIANSTUPIDGUARDIAN Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I tried everything mentioned in these posts and no difference. My headset will just stop tracking after a while. I even tried cybershrapnel's post on June the second of going in the Oculus Debug Tool and changing the settings. I'm worried this isn't a software issue and it's a hardware issue. Seems a lot of people are agreeing that it's a power issue going to the headset and I'm inclined to believe that too.
  • SirDimplesSirDimples Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same issue here (static + no tracking) although no where as severe as what most of you are experiencing, for me the procedure is as follows:

- @ start of VR session there is 80% chance the headset is completely black, restarting oculus app seems to fix this so I just do that at the beginning everytime.
    - Play or watch stuff for several hours, I usually get the static screen issue once or twice during that. Yesterday I got it about 5-6 times and the last two occurred with very little time in-between so now I'm worried.

When I get the static-no-tracking-issue, I take off the headset, close the oculus app then disconnect and reconnect both the USB and displayport cables, then after a few seconds wear the headset which starts oculus again. This usually fixes it.

Someone in reddit made a guess that it's the speakers in the headset that seem to be a consistent trigger for this. Specifically whenever there is a loud sound in a game or movie. That seems like a power-draw issue and it appears there is some validity to that from reading other people's experiences. As a result whenever I want to use the headset for a long play session, I wear headphones which seems to make the headset much more stable.

An example, I played euro truck sim day before yesterday for 3-4 hours with headphones, static issue didn't occur.

But I agree, oculus should have patched this already. If it's a power draw issue then the simplist software fix would be the ability to recover from it without having to restart.

Brain Burst
    formol88 said:
    formol88 said:
    Hello from France,

Your 2 oculus have an issue and you order again ? :o
    I don't know if I want to be refunder or an exchange, but if all oculus are the same problem ... And Oculus don't reply to us. It's unbelievable !
    Managed to finally get oculus on support chat so they looked at my logs which I sent and gave me a reply about them.

Hello James,

I don't immediately see anything in the logs that stands out, so I'll need some more time to review them more thoroughly.

I’m going to look into this further for you and will be in touch as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind regards,

Maureen
    Oculus Support
    NerveGear
    edited June 7
    Same issue here (static + no tracking) although no where as severe as what most of you are experiencing, for me the procedure is as follows:

- @ start of VR session there is 80% chance the headset is completely black, restarting oculus app seems to fix this so I just do that at the beginning everytime.
    - Play or watch stuff for several hours, I usually get the static screen issue once or twice during that. Yesterday I got it about 5-6 times and the last two occurred with very little time in-between so now I'm worried.

When I get the static-no-tracking-issue, I take off the headset, close the oculus app then disconnect and reconnect both the USB and displayport cables, then after a few seconds wear the headset which starts oculus again. This usually fixes it.

Someone in reddit made a guess that it's the speakers in the headset that seem to be a consistent trigger for this. Specifically whenever there is a loud sound in a game or movie. That seems like a power-draw issue and it appears there is some validity to that from reading other people's experiences. As a result whenever I want to use the headset for a long play session, I wear headphones which seems to make the headset much more stable.

An example, I played euro truck sim day before yesterday for 3-4 hours with headphones, static issue didn't occur.

But I agree, oculus should have patched this already. If it's a power draw issue then the simplist software fix would be the ability to recover from it without having to restart.

I played with my friends for around 20 minute last night with audio only coming out my gaming headset. Still had a camera failure. I've pretty much given up and just hanged the headset on the side waiting for an Oculus staff reply or a software update.

I mean heck, I sometimes also just sit in the dashboard for 2 seconds and the cameras die on me.

I've had the cameras die in the span of anything between 1 second to half an hour. I played H3VR yesterday with no issues at all. Then I switch game and it dies. Then I loaded back H3VR and it worked for a minute before losing tracking. Nothing is consistant.
  • sraurasraura Posts: 589
    Trinity
    edited June 7
    I wonder how many of you with problems are running rift on laptop or have some kind of adapters plugged to your display-, dvi- or hdmi-ports.
    Brain Burst
    sraura said:
    I wonder how many of you with problems are running rift on laptop or have some kind of adapters plugged to your display-, dvi- or hdmi-ports.
    I just got ye good old classic tower pc and not using adapters 
  • CountryManTheTitanCountryManTheTitan Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    edited June 7
    Welp... I’m at a loss. Sent 2 support tickets and only 1 got a reply. All they did was copy paste the troubleshooting page. I’m really disappointed. I’m going to one final time attempt to repair the software cuz every other fix hasn’t worked. I literally just am launching one simple game, brass tactics. I have tried so many fixes and searched for my own to no avail. USB power saver, nope. Crap, don’t waist your time. I loose tracking before even 5 minutes of gameplay. If this repair doesn’t work... which I’m really sure it won’t, but I have a little faith left. I am going to return it to Best Buy where I bought it from on Sunday at the latest. Let me know what you think y’all. Cuz I spent $400 on a glorified speaker.

Edit: Guess what... it didn’t work. Good luck guys cuz I’m tapping out. Very unprofessional on oculus’ part. I’ve been more than patient. I’m either returning it permanently or ordering another... idk yet. Not that smart of a decision to get rid of rift so soon either. Cuz with all these returns taking place you might be taking a hit...
  • FededaleFededale Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I fix the tracking issue ! My Rift S work only with  USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-A port. I've Msi B450 Pro Carbon Ac motherboard and I tried all my Usb, all procedure etc. etc. but it worked for a few minute and then it stopped tracking. The solution for me was USB 3.1 GEN2. Yesterday I played DCS World for 2H and Assetto Corsa Competizione 1H Without problem !
    I hope it can help.
    Wintermute
    Does it have flashes over hours of use after say 1 week. That is the test now. Mine got the flashes after a week.
    NerveGear
    I fixed my problem.

I had to plug it in my front USB ports. I can barely get the display port plug in the back and USB in the front at the same time. My wire is literally at maximum tension and I'm sure I was close to damaging it but I wanted to test my theory. Now my issue is that the plug is too short to go from the back to the front of my PC but I am buying an extension so that'll be fixed soon.
  • HisHeadIsRedHisHeadIsRed Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    edited June 9
    After about 15-20 hours of use my rift s has stopped tracking my controllers. I unplug the device and plug in the USB to my front USB 3.0 hub and wait then plug my display port in. Nothing so far has made the controllers work whatsoever since they got "stuck". I even opted into the beta and tried completely reinstalling the software altogether and still cant get the controllers to work AT ALL. Everytime I put the headset on they are stuck. I was initially so impressed with this headset but after spending so much money and get very little response I'm discouraged. I'm contemplating taking it back before my refund date runs out. My question to oculus is do you think this is a hardware issue? Is every head set that's having this problem going to need to be replaced? We need more than we are working on it after spending such a large amount of money on this product. If we get a new headset will that one also mess up eventually?  

Edit. I've tried every possible fix I've seen in my 6 hours of looking. If it's on the internet I've tried it trust me. I want to experince VR again.
    Wintermute
    If this is better off using USB2 but the splitter is too short to reach both then this is a total joke!